It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diabetes drug Avandia to be pulled from retail shelves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Diabetes drug Avandia to be pulled from retail shelves

yourlife.usatoday. com

In 2007, FDA drug-safety expert David Graham reported to an advisory committee that Avandia had caused heart problems, including deaths, in 66,000 to 200,000 people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

When the new program goes into effect on Nov. 18, only certified doctors will be allowed to prescribe the drug, and only to patients who've been informed of the risks and who will fill their prescriptions by mail order through specific pharmacies.

It's not exactly going away, in November it will be hard to get and difficult to prescribe. Of course as dangerous as it seems to be then who would want it? Actually that is not the point, as long as it is still available, barely, it can still be considered a useful drug and therefore not just a bad news drug and dangerous failure - no wrongdoing by the manufacturer!

What about GlaxoSmithKline, the manufacturer, won't they lose a lot of money that went into research and testing the drug? If it is dangerous why wait until November to remove it from active sales? Simple answer on both counts, the patent runs out in 2012. It has already been on the market for 11 years.

diabetes.emedtv.com...

When Will Generic Avandia Be Available? The first patent for Avandia currently expires in 2012. This is the earliest possible date that a generic version of Avandia could become available. However, there are other circumstances that could come up to extend the exclusivity period of Avandia beyond 2012. This could include such things as lawsuits or other patents for specific Avandia uses. Once Avandia goes off patent, there may be several companies that manufacture a generic Avandia drug.

After that time a number of manufacturers can produce and sell it as a generic, though no one is likely to now since its use will be so restricted.

Big American Pharma, gotta love these guys,

yourlife.usatoday. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Whouda thunk??
Well me for one.
I crosscheck the meds my docs want to put me on and if the side effects sound to me like one of those commercials you see on tv that say...."this crap may kill you".
I politely request my doc take a flying ...
When I had low blood pressure probs my doc wanted to put me on a med that could make my heart swell and induce death...
I just upped my salt intake and the blood pressure is up to normal again.
Just FYI A few months back everyone thought I was gonna punch out as I had several problems.
The docs tested my heart and the results came back and the cardiologist told me I had the heart of a 14 year old boy, and my o2 levels were well within normal.
Another FYI I have been smoking for about 35 years!

And they wanted to put me on a med that would destroy the 1 thing on me that was well and strong.

Woulda thunk??
edit on 19-5-2011 by g146541 because: whoulda thunk i erred

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It gets to the point now should you ever be in an actual need for drugs; you might as well state you'll take whatever is not advertised on t.v. and is older then 30 years.

These newer drugs are going to kill us all.

new topics

top topics

join