It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any way to MAKE threads consist of a person's views and/or opinions and not just a video??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If I wanted to search for a video I would just go to youtube and do so. I want to hear what people think about their topic. That is the main discussion point of a thread is what the person's beliefs on the topic are. Is there any way to break down a thread instead of just a body to type in? Could you maybe make the subject line, and a body of course. But make a seperate box that would be inserted above or below the video/pictures or whatever that is required to be filled in with that person's view/opinion of their topic??

I get sick of clicking on a very intriguing topic and there is nothing but a video with the original poster saying, "I agree with this"......What kind of opinion or topic of discussion is that??

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP....WE NEED TO MAKE MUCH BETTER THREADS!!!!

Exhibit A -- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nothing against the original poster, but this is a great example.
edit on 5/18/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I concur. It gets really frustrating to keep seeing the same type of thread, usually with old/already beaten to death/incorrect/plainly obvious information, especially when there is no significant contribution to the topic. Just a video or link to wikipedia. I'm speaking about OP's as well as the people that reply. The two line minimum rule for posts doesn't mean you should be able to get away with just typing "2nd line" on the second line of your post, especially when the first line is nothing more than I agree or I disagree or this is awesome or OMG. And can someone please put a stop to the use/abuse of wikipedia as a source? Wikipedia is not a source. Ever. For anything. If you want to use it to look up info for your own reasons, fine. But you cant just start a thread with a link to wikipedia and say that you researched something. You people are driving me crazy! Even the mods and top contributors are guilty of making insubstantial posts, throwing around stars and flags, sometimes just making a post to tell someone they S&F'd them.

S & F Couldn't they have said 2011 or 2013? Why 2012? On a serious note. I hope they do find it. Thanks for posting the story.

C'mon man! I'd have like 15,000 posts too if I just replied to every post I see with nothing relevant to contribute. Thanks.
edit on 18-5-2011 by ZeroReady because: typo

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I thought that was a requirement already, it is just loosely enforced. Could be wrong of course, it happens a lot

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I flagged your thread. I don't understand why I can't star your post.

Still, it's true. The people on this site are the problem. There are so many who break the rules that it gets to be very difficult to control all the abuse.

I get frustrated with all the sensational thread titles. People will use anything to get you to view their thread. Then, it actually works and gets loads of flags and stars. The other members obviously see no problem with this. There either aren't enough mods, or they have better things to worry about.

I'm consider switching to a new source for news or just going back to one I can rely on for better views and opinions on things. ATS is so loaded with junk that it really wastes a lot of time to sort through.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Actually it is a requirement as per the terms and conditions:

15k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or Post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on the Websites or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

As with everything else the staff need members to help them spot the violations by using the alert function.

Additionally you can encourage your fellow members (more often than not new members) to follow the ATS standard of posting quality posts.

top topics

join