It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shell no longer needed in China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Shell no longer needed in China

translate.google.com

Shell is being "bullied" out of China, according to former Shell manager Frans van Gunsteren as reported by de Volkskrant today.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.21cbh.com
www.chinadaily.com.cn
goliath.ecnext.com

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Since the article is in dutch and I haven't been able to find any english news sources I've written a summary of the article below. English isn't my native language so bear with me.

In short, Dutch Shell agreed upon a 50-50 joint venture with Chinese CNOOC for building an installation costing $4.3bln which was constructed in 2006.

However the Chinese seem to have enough of the expensive expats and do not require Western technical know how anymore so they're planning to build another $7.5bln costing refinery in the vicinity leaving Shell out of the deal. Not only that but China will likely change the deal about the joint-venture making it a 30-70 deal in favor of the Chinese, following a trend indicating Chinese companies are gaining dominance over the Chinese market, driving already established Western companies out of it's market.

According to an unnamed western diplomat in China, foreign companies competing with state owned companies have to be extra careful when doing business in China as they might experience difficulties when dealing with the Chinese.

A prominent member of the local government, Diao Guo Tao declared to the Chinese newspaper China Daily Shell would not get a 50% stake in the deal, if they get a stake at all.

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Thats the one thing I have been waiting for.

All these western companies are flocking to China and abandoning the nations (and their values and politics) that allowed them to become the huge behemoths that they are. China isnt the US. Or Europe. It never has been. Its a communist country that tolerates certain types of economic activities for its OWN ends.

I hope more companies fall into that honey pot. And I hope the Chinese rape them once they get to the appropriate size and strength, to teach them a little lesson about forgetting the nations and people who made you what you are when you perceived yourself to big and powerful not to need them anymore.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Thats the one thing I have been waiting for.

All these western companies are flocking to China and abandoning the nations (and their values and politics) that allowed them to become the huge behemoths that they are. China isnt the US. Or Europe. It never has been. Its a communist country that tolerates certain types of economic activities for its OWN ends.

I hope more companies fall into that honey pot. And I hope the Chinese rape them once they get to the appropriate size and strength, to teach them a little lesson about forgetting the nations and people who made you what you are when you perceived yourself to big and powerful not to need them anymore.

Yeah but that "raping" will end up affecting the consumers who don't make the business decisions rather than the corporations at fault. Unchecked, China will become a worse monster then the USA was during the industrial revolution (human rights, workers rights, property rights, child welfare, industry safety, pollution, etc) except having over a billion people at her disposal (literally).

I am not against China but their human rights violations are just atrocious.
edit on 14-5-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Its called Command economy. They are in command.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

Quit being such a bot. You=/=corporations. I know we have all been programmed to believe, "what is good for corporations is good for me." And "corporations made America great."

Its backwards. WE made them great. And what is good for US is good for them in the long run. And if we would just let these incompetent monsters fall, we would and could grow new businesses who were less greedy, less short sighted, and maybe a little more loyal to the nation.

Edit to add,

Question; Who just brought who to whose knees, and almost destroyed themselves doing it?

Answer; Corporate America brought America to its knees and almost destroyed themselves doing it.

Question; Who bailed who out?

Answer; WE bailed THEM out. And they arent bailing us out in return in a year they are making record profits and we are on the brink of bankruptcy.

Corporations are not our friends. They never have been. They are our competitors, and the only reason you dont know that is because they own the propaganda machine that programs you.

edit on 14-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Quit being such a bot. You=/=corporations. I know we have all been programmed to believe, "what is good for corporations is good for me." And "corporations made America great."

Its backwards. WE made them great. And what is good for US is good for them in the long run. And if we would just let these incompetent monsters fall, we would and could grow new businesses who were less greedy, less short sighted, and maybe a little more loyal to the nation.

Edit to add,

Question; Who just brought who to whose knees, and almost destroyed themselves doing it?

Answer; Corporate America brought America to its knees and almost destroyed themselves doing it.

Question; Who bailed who out?

Answer; WE bailed THEM out. And they arent bailing us out in return in a year they are making record profits and we are on the brink of bankruptcy.

Corporations are not our friends. They never have been. They are our competitors, and the only reason you dont know that is because they own the propaganda machine that programs you.

edit on 14-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

I'm wondering what about my response indicated I believe in corporations and that they are equal to the people?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Couldn't agree more,
about time some of these big corporations were hit where it hurts.

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Ahhh the good old day's have returned,, remember Cuba,,castro,,,communism,,,good bye, boys,, Big Oil,, At&t, vegas,, lol
And just how did that come about, well let me tell you it all started with Kissenger and Nixon,, and ping-pong, now what do you have after all that generosity that was shown?? the big heave ho-chi-mien out the door and dont come back,, thats what you get for helping i guess

lol

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
And if memory serves me correctly i'm pretty sure that Clinton bunch of , (XXXXXX) , were pretty snuggly with the same Chinese Communists.
Hoover would be livid,, positively livid,,, lol
Carlson,, get on that right away,,

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Don't fall into the trap of calling China for its Human rights issues. That is exactly what our conditioners want us to be concerned about, instead of concentrating on their atrocious foreign policy and the corporations greed at the expense of us the people.

We should not believe everything we see on the MSM. If we spent some time in China I am sure that we would form a different opinions other than those spoon fed to us by our own governments.

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I am astounded that anyone could construct a sentence containing the words "Kissinger, Nixon and Generosity" all together..... well done.....

S for you sir

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The On Going SAGA at the Office by me

Oh and Dick,,yes mr. pres,,,"find out why our boys at Shell didn't give us a head's up on this,, and why that damn c.i.a didnt tell us anything,, i got to read this in a damn google search ,, what the hell i pay u guys the big bucks for? you have all the fancy toys right,, cummon people ,, full press time,, NO NOT T.V press,, ahh damn too late,,ok go ahead i'll just make something up,,,

lol

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The On Going SAGA at the Office by me

Damn can't think of anything,, quick what's today's top bogeyman,,,,anyone???
On in 10 sec sir,,
I think it's safe too talk about Bin Laden,,, mr pres,,,

OK,, SLAM's door walk down hall,, ( something safe about bin laden, hmmmm ok i got it )

steps to mic ,, and GO ,,,,

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent

Don't fall into the trap of calling China for its Human rights issues. That is exactly what our conditioners want us to be concerned about, instead of concentrating on their atrocious foreign policy and the corporations greed at the expense of us the people.

We should not believe everything we see on the MSM. If we spent some time in China I am sure that we would form a different opinions other than those spoon fed to us by our own governments.

PEACE,
RK

Why are 2 people on this thread assuming I don't understand the full scope of this issue? I mentioned human rights because they are what WE WERE during our own industrial revolution. They are doing the same exact thing we already did! We didn't get slapped on the hand, but now that China has grown... we gotta bully the monsters WE CREATED! Well, now she's biting back... but she isn't going to maul the companies, nonono! She'll get us. Shell doesn't give a flop if it loses money, they'll get it back by charging the consumer a higher rate and we'll gladly pay it.

I have a friend who went to China to tour some factories for his job... It's as bad as the "conditioners" say. People live in the factories, some are not allowed to leave, children work at an alarming age, and there is little to no safety oversight involved. BUT we have the same here except with farming... there is no age limit for that and kids as young as 3 are working the fields in the USA!

The people at fault are US (that includes you and I). We allowed this to happen (for various complicated reasons). Yes, most corporations are riddled with conspiracy and dastardly deeds, but we didn't stop them...

Power to the PEOPLE! I live for the day when all these businesses collapse.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by donatellanator

Yeah but that "raping" will end up affecting the consumers who don't make the business decisions rather than the corporations at fault.

The consumers ARE at fault. If they are buying products made in China, they ARE making business decisions. Every time you choose cheap over made in the US, or cheap over made by companies that treat their employees well and pay them well, you ARE making a business decision.

You are saying, "Im going to be a greedy short sighted little turd, and profit from the misery of someone in the third world, rather than consume less, but higher quality produced by methods I really approve of.

Over decades, this greedy little short sighted turdness on the part of consumers has led to the hemorrhage of jobs over seas, and the precipitous drop in real wages in the US. So now people are in a position where they can barely even afford the cheap junk produced via total disregard for the environment and workers.

WE made the corporations, they didnt make us. OUR buying habits have allowed them to abandon the US and buy our politicians, and rape our economy. WE work for them, WE buy from them, WE allow our politicians to give them credits and all sorts of favorable treatment.

Unchecked, China will become a worse monster then the USA was during the industrial revolution (human rights, workers rights, property rights, child welfare, industry safety, pollution, etc) except having over a billion people at her disposal (literally).

The why do you care if China rapes the corporations that are feeding the machine? Why not follow the trail of breadcrumbs and realize that the only way out of this whole mess, all of it, is to stop feeding the corporations who are feeding China. And start rebuilding newer, smaller, companies at home.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Has any one mentioned china now owns 100% of all the earth's RARE EARTH metals?,, which are used in "ENVIRO_FRIENDLY" light bulds which MUST be installed by LAW.

And what did China just do to Japan over their little tiff over those disputed Islands,, poor Japan i mean common,,, but any way THEY CUT OFF ALL EXPORTS OF RARE EARTH METALS ,, to japan, as a inducement,, talk about kick a guy when he's down, but,,

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

But............thats what happens when you supply money to people who are cruel, very business savvy, and nationalistic.

They beat people at their own game, and the only reason they have the resources to do it is because for decades we have been buying up their cheap plastic crap produced under slave labor conditions.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yeah but that "raping" will end up affecting the consumers who don't make the business decisions rather than the corporations at fault.

The consumers ARE at fault. If they are buying products made in China, they ARE making business decisions. Every time you choose cheap over made in the US, or cheap over made by companies that treat their employees well and pay them well, you ARE making a business decision.

You are saying, "Im going to be a greedy short sighted little turd, and profit from the misery of someone in the third world, rather than consume less, but higher quality produced by methods I really approve of.

Over decades, this greedy little short sighted turdness on the part of consumers has led to the hemorrhage of jobs over seas, and the precipitous drop in real wages in the US. So now people are in a position where they can barely even afford the cheap junk produced via total disregard for the environment and workers.

WE made the corporations, they didnt make us. OUR buying habits have allowed them to abandon the US and buy our politicians, and rape our economy. WE work for them, WE buy from them, WE allow our politicians to give them credits and all sorts of favorable treatment.

Unchecked, China will become a worse monster then the USA was during the industrial revolution (human rights, workers rights, property rights, child welfare, industry safety, pollution, etc) except having over a billion people at her disposal (literally).

The why do you care if China rapes the corporations that are feeding the machine? Why not follow the trail of breadcrumbs and realize that the only way out of this whole mess, all of it, is to stop feeding the corporations who are feeding China. And start rebuilding newer, smaller, companies at home.

Read my other reply, we feel the same. My posts are misunderstood. Done responding. Have a nice day.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
"thats what happens when you supply money to people"
unquote

Continued,,,

Um you want me too erase that last part there Dick,sorry Mr. President sir,,,," thats what happens when you supply money to people"

Umm ya ,,,right Chuck,, ya erase that last part ,, now listen "nobody said anything about suppling them with money,, this ,, what's that word ,, that new word,, the brainiacs use,,
want me to ask Macknimara? or that IBM guy,,

meanwhile as the pre. takes a nap,,,

Tech something,, zzzzzzzzz

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join