It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby food tests positive for explosives, seized by TSA agents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Baby food tests positive for explosives, seized by TSA agents

www.wfaa.com

"I said, 'That's the only food we have for him,'" said Kimarie Ankenbrand, Bruce's mother. "We're getting on a flight, a three-hour flight."

Bruce's frantic mom told News 8 that agents swabbed her small packages of baby food for traces of explosives. The packages tested positive. The baby food itself, which is organic and contains no chemicals, was not tested.

Bruce's mother pleaded with a TSA supervisor for more tests or to squeeze the food into another container. She said the supervisor refused.

"Oh my God," said the exasperated mom. "You're telling me we're going to starve a 7-month-old child? We're getting on a plane."

A TSA spokesman told News 8 that the explosives detection device might have given a false positive. There are many legal substances that can cause alarms on explosives detection machines, some examples are traces of fertilizers and heart medicines. Recently firing a gun can also result in a false positive.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-13-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Apparently, this was an organic baby food, but the food itself was not tested. They received a positive off of the container. Which means, it could have come from anything. Seems a little nuts that they did not test the baby food. In fact, based on the article, they had no desire or intention to do anything resembling due diligence with regard to verifying that the baby food was not a threat.

I don't think people will put up with this sort of thing for much longer. Reading the article, you might notice how upset the mother got at the proposition of not having food for her child.

www.wfaa.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-13-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Good thing they confiscated it, you wouldn't want the baby having explosive diarrhea.

edit on 13-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The government loves taking food out of our babies' mouths. Now they want the containers too. Are you all surprised?
Enjoy these "good ole days" while they last, home inspections, trigger happy SWAT raids, gov't controlled utilities, & Monsanto food being the only legal foods.... good times ahead.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Good thing they confiscated it, you wouldn't want the baby having explosive diarrhea.

*smirk*.. yeah, that's a genuine bio-hazard right there.. locked in a sealed plane with dirty baby diapers..

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Would give new meaning to the term Diaper Bomb. Very interesting article I might add. Wonder if this will have any links to terrorism, or was a miss hap during shipping. Was this family the same family that had their baby gropped by the TSA....
edit on 13-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Got to be a false positive reading.
These machines are not 100% accurate all the time.

I wonder did they take the baby food out back and set a robot on it to detonate it?
Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
@%#$@%#$@$!$@

Thats about the only thing I can say about the TSA and stay in T&C.

Damned brownshirts!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The sad thing is the systems deteriorating faster and faster, expect things like this to be the norm in a few years.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Got to be a false positive reading.
These machines are not 100% accurate all the time.

I wonder did they take the baby food out back and set a robot on it to detonate it?
Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

My guess? They probably threw it in the trash can. I seriously doubt the TSA agents actually believed that the bottle was explosive. They were simply blindly following procedures without question, compassion, or intelligence. We could probably replace them with robots and get better results.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

who said the kid had a,, poop-bomb?

edit on 5/13/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I wonder if these test are picking up nitrates, cause they find their way into a lot of stuff, organic or not...
edit on 13-5-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
wow...but yeah TSA is a pain
they don't have emotions

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
My question is whose got the contract to supply the airport stores with prescanned baby food? Ching Ching...
Second line

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Why try to smuggle some flammable liquid onto a flight when you can go through security clean as a whistle, pick up a couple of bottles of good Brandy in Duty Free, then set light to the plane mid-flight.

I even remember all the original hoo-hah over anything small and sharp, like pocket knives, nail clippers etc, then seeing a nice shiny case of Victorinox Swiss Army knives in the "Secure" shopping side.

I mean, seriously, who the hell do they think they are kidding with all this BS? If there really are such threats, then they obviously need to look at what you can by in the Duty Free areas.

I could probably beat the crew to death with one of those huge Toblerone bars!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

Yes. That is why fertilizer will show a positive. Golf equipment lights it up because of the large amounts of nitrate fertilizer used on golf courses.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
That sure would make one big ass 'dirty' bomb...
2nd line

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by JJDoggie84

Yes. That is why fertilizer will show a positive. Golf equipment lights it up because of the large amounts of nitrate fertilizer used on golf courses.

Yup that's what I thought. So I guess almost all fruit and veggies are on the no fly list.

Do not board!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I mean, seriously, who the hell do they think they are kidding with all this BS? If there really are such threats, then they obviously need to look at what you can by in the Duty Free areas.

I could probably beat the crew to death with one of those huge Toblerone bars!

Indeed.. and souvenir mugs, etc. can be easily broken and turned into "shanks", etc. The TSA stuff is rediculous.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Soon your anus will be safe in Texas at least : dfw.cbslocal.com...

This TSA garbage is ridiculous. For Gods sake, DO NOT listen to El Al and Israeli air ( the safest airline and airport in the world) concerning safety.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join