It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Mind control & Brain-Machine Interfaces (Emotiv/NeuroSky/Acclair)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Tan Le & her company Emotiv Systems along with another company NeuroSky are causing a stir in just about every industry there is with their new(ish) Brain-Machine interfaces.

What exactly are these devices?

Emotiv:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da52dd10fce7.jpg[/atsimg]
Tan Le: TED talks - Brain-Machine Interface

Emotiv's Epoc headset can identify 30 mental states. The headset passes the signals to the software, which extracts patterns that can be used to control anything that's run by electronics. Source

NeuronSky:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f733ad0da7a.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0cb6cc97e8fa.jpg[/atsimg]
They have the mind-wave (1st above), the x-wave & the Mindset (2nd above)

Stanley Yang, CEO of the company, said that his company expects to shrink the product to a size of a thumbnail, so that the consumers will be able to wear it comfortably. The price of NeuroSky’s smart “mind-reader” is expected to be approximately 20$.

“Emotiv” is another company developing systems that convert electrical signals emitted by the brain into actions on a computer. Like NeuroSky, they have developed a system that can distinguish user’s emotions and convert the collected data into actual commands.

The team from “NeuroSky” said they used a medical device in order to gain necessary information about the brainwaves, and turned it into a consumer gadget.

Both NeuroSky’s and Emotiv’s products include a headset equipped with static electrodes - this is all it takes to monitor your brain activity.Source

I also though this was an interesting addition…
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8b91f412f23.jpg[/atsimg]
"one direction only," maybe so but wait until DARPA & the like get their hands on this technology...
oh wait they already have. see:DARPA Perfect Soldier Research

Here is another example of computers controlling humans..

We wield remote controls to turn things on and off, make them advance, make them halt. Ground-bound pilots use remotes to fly drone airplanes, soldiers to manoeuvrer battlefield robots.
But manipulating humans?
Prepare to be remotely controlled. I was. Just imagine being rendered the rough equivalent of a radio-controlled toy car.Source

Anyway...

How do they work?

The brain consists of neurons, which work by transmitting electrical (as well as chemical) signals. Neurological research has shown that different brainwave patterns indicate different emotional states, such as awareness, a meditative state or drowsiness. These waves are recognized by the device, which measures them and concludes what command should be performed. Each distinguishable combination of brainwaves triggers an execution of the appropriate algorithm. For example, brainwaves which indicate a high level of concentration, while a specific object is selected on the screen, cause the object to levitate.Source

Who's interested in this technology?

Brainwaves have been used in medical research and therapy for years. The products developed by Emotiv and NeuroSky are drawing the attention of many institutions; NASA hopes to use the system in order to help astronauts handle delicate objects and perform tasks that currently require the use of special bulky gloves. The inventions can also be helpful to the handicapped and the elderly. While many see the future of this technology in consumer electronics, health and education industries also seem to be important markets.Source

“Emotiv Systems” Partners:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3a7b7d27461.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46c77c542406.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd06f4e3f0a3.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14097f3cacb7.jpg[/atsimg]
So pretty much everyone including many that I imagine you wish weren't interested.

So who are Emotiv?

Tan Le
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e82d496d94b.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd938f56e4a1.jpg[/atsimg]

Tan Le is the head of Emotiv Systems, which is developing the next generation of human-machine interface.

(born 1978) She was named the 1998 Young Australian of the YearBorn in Vietnam, Tan migrated to Australia as a refugee with her family in 1982.[1] Tan began university studies at the age of 16 and went on to complete a Bachelor's degree in law and commerce in 1998 at Monash University. As president of the Vietnamese Community of Footscray Association, she made a number of contributions to charities and newspapers throughout Melbourne.

Tan co-founded and ran SASme (a pioneer in providing SMPP platforms to telecommunication carriers and content aggregators)

Tan was named Young Australian of the Year 98’ & voted one of Australia's 30 Most Successful Women Under 30.

Tan was a Special Ambassador to the United Kingdom as a guest of the British High Commission & Foreign Commonwealth Office a Goodwill Ambassador for Australia in Asia, and a Patron of the Australian Youth Ambassadors for Development Program.

Tan has been an Ambassador for the Status of Women since 2001, and she has also been appointed to a number of prominent Boards, including Plan International Australia, Australian Citizenship Council, National Committee for Human Rights Education in Australia, and RMIT Business in Entrepreneurship.Source

Tan was awarded a KPMG Accounting Scholarship at the age of sixteen, and entered Melbourne’s Monash University in 1997. She went on to complete a combined Bachelor of Commerce/Laws (Honors) in 1998 and started her career with one of Australia's leading law firms. Tan Le was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 2000.Source

She also does lectures & talks for $18,000 a piece.

Nam Do
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f41e570d40c.jpg[/atsimg]

Nam Do is a serial technology entrepreneur. Prior to forming Emotiv, Nam co-founded and ran SASme, a pioneer in providing SMPP platforms to telecommunication carriers and content aggregators in Australia and Asia. SASme is one of the companies largely responsible for the creation of Australia's SMS application market. Nam helped grow SASme from its humble beginnings to a thriving company with multiple markets worldwide.

Nam's background is in Strategic Planning and Management, and he is also an expert in Information Technology and Multimedia. At the age of nine, Nam was selected to join a special program in Mathematics and Physics at the National School for Gifted Students in Vietnam. In 1995, Nam won one of Vietnam's most prestigious scholarships for study abroad. In 1996, Nam came to Australia's RMIT University under a scholarship program for students with exceptional academic ability and leadership potential. Nam started his first technology company when he was a final year student at RMIT University in Melbourne.

Nam has been a driving force of Emotiv since co-founding the company in 2003. In 2007, Nam was voted as one of Australia's Top 10 Digital Entrepreneurs.Source

Where do they hope to go with all this?

Le predicts, a lot of the doubts will themselves be vaporized, and demand will snowball. "We see it becoming a totally ubiquitous device, allowing you to interact in a seamless way with everything else in the world," she says.
That grandiose strategy reflects the intensity and outsize ambitions of Emotiv's founders, and especially of Le. Her entire life has been a string of hard-won, improbable triumphs, and she is loath to lower her standards to anything less than spectacular. Going all in with Emotiv doesn't scare her. "When you start with nothing," she says, "you don't get attached to a lot of things. You end up unafraid to push outside your comfort zone."Source

Apparently no one is saying anything that would go against progress… furthermore…

Emotiv has a long-range strategy that sounds like a business-school case study from the 22nd century. After enabling us to control video games with our minds, Emotiv intends to let us control most everything else we do on our computers and, after that, what's around our homes. In 10 years or so, according to the company's co-founder Tan Le, we will all go around in a world that will respond to our mental commands. Fed by data wirelessly streaming in from a few freckle-size sensors embedded in your scalp, your stereo will know when you are feeling blue and what sort of music cheers you up. Movies will know when you are getting bored and cut to the action. Car advertisers will know when you are feeling the need for speed. Your doctor will know when you are depressed. Doors will open at your mental command.

If you are wondering why we haven’t heard more about this yet…

But if you think building a mind-reading device is tough, try marketing one. It turns out the old saw about building a better mousetrap doesn't hold in the context of a product most people hesitate to believe is possible and aren't sure they want anything to do with if it is. And that has left Emotiv with a challenge every bit as big as conquering mind reading: figuring out how to present its breakthrough device to the world in a way that will transform it from a slightly scary gadget to the next must-have consumer technology.Source

Which is a good thing in my eyes… but only if it can be brought to peoples attention early, while its still all exposed & raw in its scariness…before "they" figure out how to cross market it with Katy perry & crunchy nut cereal.

Who are NeuroSky?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89b3cdac74ae.jpg[/atsimg]
Well NeuroSky hold their cards a lot closer then Emotiv so I’ve been finding it difficult to dig up anything about them yet other than that they have big corporate partners including Mattel (toy company) and that their marketing director was once Olga Kostrova, whose Linkedin profile says of NeuroSky:

NeuroSky Inc. - Privately Held; Consumer Electronics industry
Founded in 2004 and headquartered in San Jose, California, NeuroSky has developed cost-effective and “wearable” (dry) bio-sensor and signal processing technology specifically designed for end-use in the consumer market. NeuroSky’s products offer opportunities for its exclusive partners and developers to generate next generation applications for a wide array of solutions, including consumer electronics, health, wellness, education and training.

And the actual NeuroSky LinkedIn page has even less... Thanks to threads at ATS & other sites however, we do know that well-known partners include - Mattel, Uncle Milton, Toshiba & Apple...

But maybe our attention should be on the specific partner "Acclair" instead.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df5b8ae4bed9.jpg[/atsimg]

Acclair is an independent research consultancy exploring the augmentation of everyday life through the design and implementation of Neurocapital services.

wait what the hell is Neurocapital?

Neurocapital is the unique neuro-currency that each person owns intrinsically by living in the world. Acclair believes that this biometric currency will become increasingly valuable in the relationship among and between individuals and institutional entities.Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ce454b3af56.jpg[/atsimg]
Oh...right.

Acclair Partners:
NeuroSky and STRP.

STRP Festival is one of the largest art & technology (e-culture) festivals in Europe, that fuses music art and technology.Source

Finally there is one more Company I haven't researched yet as I only just discovered it...
but maybe that will be something for later on in this thread...

The field of consumer BCI has three primary players, NeuroSky, Emotiv, and OCZ industries. The Emotiv EPOC has significantly more electrodes than its competitors and is not considerably more expensive, but is the only commercial EEG unit to still use wet sensor technology.Source

Anyway there you have it folks, electronic mind-machine interfaces. If you’ve seen my other threads about mind-control, weapons, governments programs etc you already know I don’t think we should be doing this sort of thing and at the very least not in a secretive, privatized or unregulated way & that these kinds of developments created by (no matter how well intended) a scientist tend to be funded by the wrong people...

...and if you're like me and hearing about things like this make you imagine what the future might be like maybe this graphic from their site will help...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6099f90cf642.jpg[/atsimg]
looks like fun right?...

kind of reminds me of something...

Peace,
-Bob