It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you show/describe an Iphone to a person living 2000 years ago?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Just a question that's been mulling around my head lately...

If you were able to travel back in time to the year 1 and bring your Iphone with you, how would you describe it or show it to someone that is living in an era so far behind our current era's technology?

I think it would be nearly impossible to describe to them what an Ipod does, let alone how it works.

I think all you could tell them is that it is magic.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
"A device that will destroy your ancient knowledge and make your brain into mush"

Deebo

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Yeah, magic box is probably as far as you'll be able to make them understand you.

Maybe shock them with electricity and let them know it is involved with the magic box somehow.

*Then declare yourself God-King and rule over them with your magic box.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Science is magic.

The ability to manifest fire in one's hand, or to pull food from a box that's always cold.. Simply magick.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Didn't someone like Nostradamus that claimed to have visions of the future have a vision of people talking into rocks or something like that?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm thinking that it could be done, but it would take a few years.
People today have a bank of "assumed knowledge" of electricity, batteries, radio, video etc... that those people dont have.
Essentially you'd have to take them "back to school" and start from scratch with the basics of electromagnetism, with demonstrations of home made batteries, magnetic influence of compasses, discussions of atoms and photons etc...
About 5 years would be required, I think.
But it could be done.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
What?? Are you planning on traveling back in time?

Just posting and running

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

i once heard on ART BELL about a man found in a round cylinder that "fell from the sky" in to a building in new-york back in the 1890's..

when they opened the cylnder the man was dead. but in his pockets they found all kinds of Strange things.

one report mentioned a folding device that lit-up when opened, and numbers could be seen inside glowing from with-in

long post shortened... I hope your not the mis-fortuned time travler who forgot about taking
into account ~~~~~SEA LEVEL ~~~~~

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by Monts

What would you do when you ran out of battery?

What would I tell them? Just make up a story and make the iPhone the new Ark of the Covenant

edit on 10-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I think it definitely would take some time, but they might have a firmer grasp of what an iphone is when compared to the nano, cyborg and organic technologies that are to come in our relative future.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Hahaha! I wouldn't bust out the technology in the first move. Slowly but surely, I'd become friends with this individual, which could take years or not happen at all. A friendship based on trust can go long ways. Then, very casually, I would present the item I have and let him or her play with it. I'm almost certain the individual would warm up to it.

Light bulb! Humans have the ability to adapt quickly; therefore, I would cut the timeframe in half (or even less).
edit on 10-5-2011 by Luckyxfactor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I have a question for you OP, how would you describe how an iPhone works to someone in TODAY's world?

I don't think most people have that knowledge, they just kinda accept that it works

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Your right! When it comes to technology, I just assume that it does work.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
reply to post by Monts

I have a question for you OP, how would you describe how an iPhone works to someone in TODAY's world?

I don't think most people have that knowledge, they just kinda accept that it works

Exactly what i was thinking.... I don't either i just use it if its not my job to create it i'm not going to dabble in the idea of figuring out how it works >

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by Monts

What would you do when you ran out of battery?

What would I tell them? Just make up a story and make the iPhone the new Ark of the Covenant

When it no longer produced light, I would tell them that the magic box's battery died for their sins. I would then tell them that one day, only known by me, would the magic box's light come back to save them...when chargers are invented

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo

When it no longer produced light, I would tell them that the magic box's battery died for their sins. I would then tell them that one day, only known by me, would the magic box's light come back to save them...when chargers are invented

We could tell them that it can only be used on special holidays, then the battery would last longer. If it had videos on it we can say that it shows the future. If it has music or a podcast we can say that it's the voice of God

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hmmmm.... I would use Safari and show them
This Picture/Website

But since I really hate Iphones...
I do own one

It was on sale for 50 bucks...
I'm poor

But if I could go back in time...
I would show them a Droid X instead...

and I would show them the commercials for the Droid phones...

and demand that they build temples and pointy 3 Dimensional triangle buildings in my honor...
If they didnt... I would tell them I would command the Droid X to do what it does in the commercials: Come alive and it would enslave them all and reign darkness on their lands for 1000 years!!!

muhwahahahaha

That is why I will never be chosen to go back in time... or maybe I WAS chosen... muhwahahaha

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I would tell said caveman that this device allows me to speak to another person just like they were in the same room, although they could be the next hovel or cave down.
And they would have to have on also to communicate.
I would tell them this allows me to write a letter that requires no paper, kind of like a permanent smoke signal.
I would tell them it can listen to a band play music and recite it back exactly the same, well almost.
I would tell them that in my time with this device, you would have no need for bathing as you would never see your friends in person again.
Then i would snap their pic and show it to them.
I would then tell them I stole their soul and watch em freak out.
I would offer to restore their soul for some pieces of silver.
I would then use the flashlight and recite, KLAATU, BAARADA, NICHRUMPHT.

Convincing them all is well now, you have been restored by the light!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
They would end up tearing you apart limb from limb and then naw on your iphone

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Oniris to pharaoh Ramses 2

Yes sir, indeed, a bit like witchcraft.

The main function of this device is originally to enable a kind of telepathic communication with other people who possess one of these artifacts. This function is called telephone, and using it is referred to as phoning. All of this is accomplished when the device "kind of" whispers in the wind; I can explain to it in a much more detailed way if you wish, in order to prove it is not magic.

Now, apart from this, it also has a few more trivial uses. Do you know the game of Senet? No sir, I do not take you for a child. Well anyway, this device can be used for games. This one for example is called chess...

Anyone knowing a certain language is able to add components, or functions to this device, this is called programming.

Oh, I almost forgot, it can also access something called the internet, although reception here is a bit on the off side, it is a sort of collaborative library of all the human knowledge and stupidity.

I know this all sounds dauting at first, but feel free to ask any questions.

edit on 10-5-2011 by oniris because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2011 by oniris because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join