It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizonas ban on ethnic studies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Some of you may not know but in 2010 a bill was passed here in arizona that would ban"classes intended for a specific ethnic group" aka ethnic studies from all schools,with districts given the right to appeal.Tension in my city as well as others has been mounting between the minorities and the school districts..The schools seem to be fine with the ban and are denying the appeals that are bieng asked for by its students/teachers/communities.. I took 3 semesters of ethnic studies and found it to be very educational and satisfying to better understand my past and heritage.The class was called mexican-american studies but always welcomed students from different ethnic backgrounds.The states argument was that these classes teach students about mexican culture in a biased way as to "put down americans"so to speak,the state also says that these classes are only available for mexican-american students which is also a lie..Ill provide a few links here in my next post and i'd really appreciate your input on this matter

+45 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Why should the taxpayer be funding such classes? If you want to find an instructor and pay him yourself, then study what you want. But American citizens paying for immigrants to take an "America is evil, our country is better class" really pisses me off. Want to study Mexican culture? Go to Mexico. Lot's of experts on the subject matter there.

+9 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Want to study an ignorant statement? Read this post.

it's either a parody or a good example.

To not be entirely insulting, I am being fully honest. Many different education classes are taught in high schools as electives. Which are not of core curriculum but supplement those extra credits for graduation.

Since I took a marine biology class in high school, that must mean that they were teaching me to hate humans and god. Don't forget that they taught me to hate god.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The reason i started this thread is because lately there has been hostility amongst all parties involved in these protests,including police violence and small riots,i want people to better understand the situation.. articles.cnn.com...:US more recent >> palantelatino.com... colorlines.com... www.grubbyhub.org...

+12 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with mexican americans learning their heritage in schools. But when there are teachers teaching children that this part of the U.S. was taken from their people and the land actually belongs to mexico it becomes a big problem for me. I Live in Tucson, and have a child in TUSD, so I know what I am talking about. Another problem is that my kid isn't mexican american, so where is her ethnic studies class. If they want ethnic studies, fine, but represent every ethnicity within the schools. That is why I am against mexican american only ethnic studies.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

+14 more 
link   
Most of the illegals don't *snip* You have many illegals illegally sending their kids to American schools to begin with. Then they get free meals and all kinds of other stuff. I am over it! Round there asses up and drop em off right across the border. Then shoot any that try to come back.

Mod Edit: Removed personal insult and quote
The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS
edit on 5/9/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Why should the taxpayer be funding such classes? If you want to find an instructor and pay him yourself, then study what you want. But American citizens paying for immigrants to take an "America is evil, our country is better class" really pisses me off. Want to study Mexican culture? Go to Mexico. Lot's of experts on the subject matter there.

An absurd statement that no true "son of liberty" would ever believe. Some people would be pissed off at the "America is wonderful and has never done anything wrong" class. It seems your belief in liberty doesn't extend to education.

Either change your name, or live up to it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatitanimulli

You have to understand that these claims of students bieng taught to hate america is complete disinfo... Mexican american studies teaches students about the movements that minorities have been part of,about all the great things we can accomplish,about our mexican roots,about mexican american literature and cinema,not once in my 3 semesters of ethnic studies was i told that the US stole mexicos land,native american studies might teach it but in their case its absolutely true..

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthChrisious

An absurd statement that no true "son of liberty" would ever believe. Some people would be pissed off at the "America is wonderful and has never done anything wrong" class. It seems your belief in liberty doesn't extend to education.

Either change your name, or live up to it.
Nope, it does not extend to illegal immigrants wanting me to pay for their I hate the white man classes. We should have saved ourselves a lot of trouble and just annexed Mexico in it's entirety instead of just taking part of it. Then this would be a moot discussion, wouldn't it?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Coming from a family of immigrants who came here legally I would have to say that I find that Mexico is the best lessons in school quite disturbing because this is America and if we want to live here, we should start calling America our home. And yes I believe that all immigrants should go the legal way and call this place their country or get deported.

edit on 9-5-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Who the hell are you to deny a kid their education,we as americans were born with a diamond studded spoon in our *snip* mouths,with freedom and opportunity,with hope,you know what happens when an illegal child cant get an american education?He joins a cartel and then he becomes a real problem!

Mod Edit: Removed profanity.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Wow. Just... wow.

If the classes are truly open only to students of certain ethnic backgrounds (which I have a hard time believing as ethnic studies classes were open to all when I was in college), then I agree with the bill.

In all other circumstances this is completely ridiculous. What classes are provided should be up to the school and only the school (or possibly the school district). Why do we need the government to step in and tell us what we can and cannot learn about?

What angers me most about this is that many of those who support this bill will claim to be against big government in all forms. Obviously, that only applies when they don't get their way. If they agree with it, then by all means let the government come in and tell us exactly what we can and can't learn.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Instead of high school ethnic studies or women's studies, perhaps more well-rounded history lessons in general?
I am a historian, so the way I see it - well-rounded world history, emphasis on American history, within America. When you get to college you can specialize. And while you're in high school, there are wonderful things called libraries!

History is an amazing subject, and too often it splinters before the students get a rounded idea of the world they live in, and the country they live in.

I myself specialized in Ancient Near Eastern studies to earn my degrees - none of which I needed to take at a high school level in specific classes.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by VicDiaz89
reply to post by illuminatitanimulli

You have to understand that these claims of students bieng taught to hate america is complete disinfo... Mexican american studies teaches students about the movements that minorities have been part of,about all the great things we can accomplish,about our mexican roots,about mexican american literature and cinema,not once in my 3 semesters of ethnic studies was i told that the US stole mexicos land,native american studies might teach it but in their case its absolutely true..

Well that is your experience and you can't say that every teacher is the same. I've heard first hand opinions that teachers give to the kids to make them feel that way. Face it, poor teaching is the cause for the ban, and you might have had a good teacher in these studies, but not all are good and the system must be scrapped because it leads to hate for other ethnicities.
Besides, why can't white or black or asian children have their ethnic studies? If you can't have them all, then mexican americans should not have theirs because it leads to them feeling like they are entitled to more than everyone. It created racial boundaries that are completely counterproductive for an american society.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by VicDiaz89

Who the hell are you to deny a kid their education,we as americans were born with a diamond studded spoon in our *snip* mouths,with freedom and opportunity,with hope,you know what happens when an illegal child cant get an american education?He joins a cartel and then he becomes a real problem!

Illegal immigrants should not reap the benefits of our tax dollars. Period.

Mod Edit: Removed profanity from quote.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

I totally agree with this. Then again a lot of the "history" that is taught in schools is romanticized rubbish to begin with. Education needs a great deal of reforming, if it is to be used to educate, not indoctrinate. That is a whole other can of worms I guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join