It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meth is legal (with prescription)... What? [Desoxyn]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In all my years of learning about drugs I had never encountered this fact; People can be prescribed methamphetamine. I was shocked, quite frankly (that takes a lot). I mean really, prescribe someone meth? Many drugs have beneficial effects, but the weight of negative consequences are far too great for this substance. The clinical applications approved by the FDA are for remedying ADHA and obesity. Meth's societal-friendly name is desoxyn, something that would receive less negative stigma than marijuana. It's bad enough that recreational users of MDMA, coc aine and speed must be weary of these substances being cut with meth because of its cheapness and some similar effects... but to have children prescribed meth for difficulties paying attention shows the fundamental hypocrisy and disconnect with reality most of western society finds pride in somehow. Methamphetamine hurts people, period. Anyway, just wanted to share my discovery and disgust with everyone.

Effects
Physical: Physical effects can include anorexia, hyperactivity, dilated pupils, flushing, restlessness, dry mouth, headache, tachycardia, bradycardia, tachypnea, hypertension, hypotension, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, diarrhea, constipation, blurred vision, dizziness, twitching, insomnia, numbness, palpitations, arrhythmias, tremors, dry and/or itchy skin, acne, pallor, and with chronic and/or high doses, convulsions, heart attack, stroke, and death.
Psychological: Psychological effects can include euphoria, anxiety, increased libido, alertness, concentration, energy, self-esteem, self-confidence, sociability, irritability, aggression, psychosomatic disorders, psychomotor agitation, grandiosity, hallucinations, excessive feelings of power and invincibility, repetitive and obsessive behaviors, paranoia, and with chronic and/or high doses, amphetamine psychosis can occur.
Withdrawal: Withdrawal symptoms of methamphetamine primarily consist of fatigue, depression and an increased appetite. Symptoms may last for days with occasional use and weeks or months with chronic use, with severity dependent on the length of time and the amount of methamphetamine used. Withdrawal symptoms may also include anxiety, agitation, akathisia, excessive sleeping, vivid or lucid dreams, deep REM sleep and suicidal ideation.
Long-term: Methamphetamine use has a high association with depression and suicide as well as serious heart disease, amphetamine psychosis, anxiety and violent behaviours. Methamphetamine also has a very high addiction risk. Methamphetamine is neurotoxic and is associated with an increased risk of Parkinson's disease. Methamphetamine abuse can cause neurotoxicity which is believed to be responsible for causing persisting cognitive deficits, such as memory, impaired attention and executive function. Over 20 percent of people addicted to methamphetamine develop a long-lasting psychosis resembling schizophrenia after stopping methamphetamine which persists for longer than 6 months and is often treatment resistant.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I would suggest insight by comparing it to other like-drugs and what amhetamines are used for medicinely.
Street "Meth" is very bad due to impurity and a world of other reasons. Still, there may be some legitimate reason for its prescribed uses. (Im not a doctor...never used it...so I dont know).

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
It's gotten to the point where there is not much difference between big pharma and the street dealers. Big pharma is essentially street dealers with brains.

Imo, they are at the end of their spree here. I'll give them two more years at the most before the public cracks down hard on these thugs.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It's almost impossible to get a prescription for.

Even more so now. It has been around a while.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

Also a good source of info www.erowid.org...

edit on 9-5-2011 by 22ndsecond because: typo

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Adderall is an amphetamine very similar to Meth and widely prescribed to children for ADD/ADHD. Most people are not aware of this either. Oxycontin is essentially legal heroin and widely prescribed to people of all ages for pain yet most people are not aware of this either. The drug laws are insane.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why are you making a big deal out of this? Meth is a legitimate drug when needed for real medical reasons. Desoxyn comes in pills that are like ten mg's. People who use meth illegally take 10-50 times that amount or more. They really almost never, if ever prescribe desoxyn to people with adhd/add or obesity because there are newer drugs that work just as well that aren't as addictive.

I knew a guy who takes it because he is a hardcore narcoleptic. Without it, he falls asleep randomly. With it, he can drive and have a job and normal life. Meth can help people who need it. Period. Meth is almost never prescrived to narcoleptics anymore anyway except for extreme cases where other drugs like provigil don't work.

They also prescribe GHB to people as well as Rohypnol. All are useful tools for those with legitimate needs. I ak not saying it is ok to abuse any drug, but I am saying that the people who need and use these drugs legally are not tweaking out on them.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Spencer1989 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Meth was considered a harmless diet pill in the early 60's and it was prescribed to my mother while she was pregnant with me. Yes, that explains things about me. She used it in college to study. People soon realized that after a few weeks of use, serious mental and physical problems occur. And the stuff is really addictive. Try it if you want to lose all your teeth.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Spencer1989

You can legitimize it's use, but there are probably better drugs to help your friend. I have seen brain scans that show pre-methamphetamine and post-methamphetamine administration in baboons... and they aren't pretty. It was administered 4 times at 2-hour intervals in varying doses. Even the baboon that received 0.5mg/kg (the lowest dose) showed changes in the caudate nucleus. Meth can be pretty hard on a person and damage (and kill) some of their dopamine receptors. (PS: Star for sparking debate)

Here's a PDF that talks about the effects of methamphetamine on rats:

www.jneurosci.org...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I've always wondered why meth was demonized by the MSM, and yet we have been prescribing young children with the same stimulants ([meth/dextro]amphetamine) for years.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a quote...

Amphetamines were introduced as "Pervitin" in the German military and was often given in the form of chocolate to reduce the effect of sleep deprivation. It was termed Panzerscholade or tankers chocolate. It is known to have been used during the Battle of the Bulge.

Read more: wiki.answers.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Legal amphetamines are really big with the younger crowd where I'm from. Some of my friends will stay up for three days straight every week and somehow function?
I can't imagine what toll this has on the body, but these drugs are powerful none the less.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Legal amphetamines are really big with the younger crowd where I'm from. Some of my friends will stay up for three days straight every week and somehow function?
I can't imagine what toll this has on the body, but these drugs are powerful none the less.

I can attest to the same thing, stimulants prescribed for ADHD are very popular at my campus.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

He told me he had tried all the other drugs first and this was sort of a last option, but he doesn't abuse it or sell it so as long as he doesn't steal my TV or I don't catch him cleaning my bathroom with a toothbrush at 3 am it's fine with me : )

Obviously that last part was a joke.... But if he did offer to clean mt bathroom That would be nice : )

He told me he is sort of extreme narcoleptic and most people with narcolepsy get by great with things like provigil or ritalin. I am glad I don't have to worry about it lol.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
oh good grief. OP has seriously bought the whole "drugs are BAAAADDD.....mmmkay?" brainwashing.

you should realize that ANY type of prohibition ultimately ends up reinforcing the behavior you are condemning. its just human nature.

as an experienced bio- chemical assay technician, I have always said that the people that tellyou that these substances are "bad" are LYING. in fact, these substances are very very GOOD.....and that is the real problem.

I wish people would stop lying about and demonizing about drugs. it is time to take a more mature perspective.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
oh good grief. OP has seriously bought the whole "drugs are BAAAADDD.....mmmkay?" brainwashing.

Wow. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about... you're portraying me as someone I am not. Did you even notice that I said "It's bad enough that recreational users of MDMA, coc aine and speed must be weary of these substances being cut with meth because of its cheapness and some similar effects."? Shouldn't that imply to you that I don't think those substances are bad as long as they're not being abused? Apparently subtleties are passed over by your runaway train of thought. If I could divulge information about my recreational habits I would, but this site prohibits me from doing so. If you still haven't caught on about my stance on substances, I'm not going to waste more time trying to clue you in.

Originally posted by tgidkpyou should realize that ANY type of prohibition ultimately ends up reinforcing the behavior you are condemning. its just human nature.

I think that most substances that are illegal today should be legalized. However, methamphetamine and heroin should remain illegal because of their incredibly damaging nature and enormous potential for addiction.

Originally posted by tgidkpas an experienced bio- chemical assay technician, I have always said that the people that tellyou that these substances are "bad" are LYING. in fact, these substances are very very GOOD.....and that is the real problem.

As an 'experienced bio-chemical assay technician' I would expect you to know more about the damaging effects of methamphetamine. I would also expect you to comment on the scientific literature I have provided, or at least provide evidence countering my claims of it being damaging in the ways I have said it is.

Please show me that meth is 'very very GOOD'.

Spencer1989 has provided more evidence that meth has legitimacy than you have. Maybe you should try and be constructive like he was, and instead of attacking your perception of who I am, provide some evidence to back your claims. In reiteration, by no means am I who you think I am... I enjoy many things I cannot claim to enjoy here.

Originally posted by tgidkpI wish people would stop lying about and demonizing about drugs. it is time to take a more mature perspective.

I'm not lying, I'm basing my opinion on scientific study.

If you want to have a 'mature' perspective on drugs, maybe you shouldn't endorse the perspective that all drugs are 'good'. That is a stance as extreme as 'all drugs are bad'.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

don't get all worked up....this is the internet: miscommunication happens all the time.

but, you should consider that if I have read you wrong, probably many other people have as well.

have fun!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Surprising you've never heard of a meth clinic.

Anyway, one thing you may or may not be aware of is that many of those who are prescribed meth happen to be veterans. A family friend actually was pumped full of the stuff while in serving Vietnam . Their system became so dependent on it that after returning they could not function without it in their system. They were not the only case of this as a few of his acquaintances/friends were in the same situation.

During World War II, amphetamines were widely used to keep the fighting men going (during the Vietnam war, American soldiers used more amphetamines than the rest of the world did during WWII).

Quote from Montgomery County Sheriff's Office

More information on Meth via Methadon Therapy: Methadone Therapy

And here: Methadone

Copious amounts of further information from google

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousRabbit
Surprising you've never heard of a meth clinic.

Anyway, one thing you may or may not be aware of is that many of those who are prescribed meth happen to be veterans. A family friend actually was pumped full of the stuff while in serving Vietnam . Their system became so dependent on it that after returning they could not function without it in their system. They were not the only case of this as a few of his acquaintances/friends were in the same situation.

During World War II, amphetamines were widely used to keep the fighting men going (during the Vietnam war, American soldiers used more amphetamines than the rest of the world did during WWII).

Quote from Montgomery County Sheriff's Office

More information on Meth via Methadon Therapy: Methadone Therapy

And here: Methadone

Copious amounts of further information from google

Methadone is not used to treat addict of methamphetamine addiction. It's used to treat Heroine and other Opiate addicts. You obviously didn't read the stuff you posted or you'd know that.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
eightonefive is right, methadone is for opiate addiction. I'm assuming methadone clinic is what AnonymousRabbit meant by meth clinic, because there's no such thing as a clinic that dispenses methamphetamine... except for pharmacies that dispense desoxyn haha.

I could see that veterans who were given meth during Vietnam could be given desoxyn only for a brief period to ween them of methamphetamine by giving them smaller doses. However, the only way to return to normal is to detoxify by ceasing administration of the drug all together.

Withdrawing from crystal meth use is nothing like opiate withdrawal and there's no reason why it would be. Opiates play a significant role in pain modulation and opioid receptors are present in peripheral systems in the body, which is the reason for the stomach aches, nausea, and diarrhea. Dopamine receptors just don't play those roles in the body and brain, so withdrawal shouldn't be expected to have the same effect. But dopamine is still a very important neurotransmitter and quitting a drug that has driven up dopamine release for a long time should be expected to leave behind some pain, and it does. One of the important functions of dopamine is in signaling reward activity. When a dopamine spike happens in a specific area of the brain (called the NAc), it signifies that whatever is happening at that moment is "surprisingly" good. The parentheses are there to remind you that the brain doesn't really get surprised, but the dopamine spike is like a reward signal detector, when it goes up, good things are happening. Well guess what? When a crystal-meth addict stops taking meth, the levels of dopamine in the brain go down. To make matters worse, the long-term meth use has caused a decrease in the number of dopamine receptors available which means there's not only less dopamine, but fewer receptors to activate. It's not a surprise than that people who quit meth find themselves in a state of anhedonia, or an inability to feel pleasure. Once again, unlike the heroin withdrawal symptoms, anhedonia doesn't make you throw up and sweat, but it's a pretty horrible state to be in. Things that bring a smile to a normal person's face just don't work on most crystal-meth addicts who are new to recovery. As if that wasn't bad enough, it can take as long as two years of staying clean for the dopamine function of an ex meth-addict to look anything like a normal person's. This anhedonia state can often lead to relapse in newly recovered addicts who are simply too depressed to go on living without a drug that they know can bring back a sense of normalcy to their life. The use of crystal-meth causes the sought-after spike in dopamine levels that helps relieve that anhedonic state. When it comes to more physiological sort of withdrawal symptoms, the meth addict doesn't have it that bad, I guess. After an extended period of sleep deprivation and appetite suppression that are some of the most predictable effect of meth, the average addict will do little more than sleep and eat for the first week, or even two, after quitting the drug. Many addicts experience substantial weight gain during this period as their metabolism slows and their caloric intake increases greatly. Like everything else, this too shall pass. With time, most addicts' metabolism return to pre-use levels and their appetite catches up and returns to normal as well. Still, there's no doubt that a little exercise can help many addicts in early recovery steer their bodies back on track. There's some research being talked about around the UCLA circles to see if detoxification from meth may help people do better in drug treatment. Detox before treatment is an accepted fact in opiate and benzodiazepine addiction, but because of the supposedly "light" nature of meth withdrawal, it's been ignored. Hopefully by now, you realize that was a mistake.

Crystal meth withdrawal - Not like heroin withdrawal, but don't expect it to be easy

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join