It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Sues High Fructose Corn Syrup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

So, is it fair to call HFCS sugar? Not according to the Western Sugar Cooperative… “This suit is about false advertising, pure and simple,” said Inder Mathur, president and CEO of Western Sugar Cooperative, the grower group that filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles federal court along with the Michigan Sugar Co. and C&H Sugar Co. Inc. “If consumers are concerned about your product, then you should improve it or explain its benefits, not try to deceive people about its name or distort scientific facts.”

Recently the producers of High Fructose Corn Syrup have been trying to get the name changed to Corn Sugar. With information coming out about the dangers of HFCS more and more people are starting to steer clear of products that contain it. So instead of being honest about their product the manufactures of HFCS would rather change the name in order to fool people into continued use of this harmful ingredient.

I know that when I buy products I always check the label to see if it includes HFCS and if it does it goes back on the shelf. Although this is probably just a fight for market shares it is still nice to see the producers of HFCS being held responsible for their product instead of letting them pull a fast one on consumers.

www.impactlab.net...-78760

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
nice...GO SUGAR GO

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

I agree that if we you sees HFCS on a package put it back. There is no need for this to be in our foods except to get us addicted to foods. The HFCS is bad enough and studies are starting to indicate it may be a key contributor to the epidemic rise if childhood diabetes. But additionally, Monsanto has taken over Corn seeds in America and virtually no corn grown here is non-GMO, just another reason to avoid anything that contains HFCS.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I always knew sugar had our backs, god speed.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
There are so many things to avoid! EDTA HFCS sucralose aziodecarbonimide Its terrible, we are being poisoned...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
We are all with you sugar! Go go

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
YES!
The companies the grows something that has no nutritional value, sues the companies that creates something that has negative nutritional value!

I'D GO WITH THE FIRST ONE BOYS!

Stop lying to us >:|

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911
We are all with you sugar! Go go

Let's just hope sugar is able to get this done before it crashes.... And.. you know... falls asleep.

Sorry, Couldn't resist.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Sugar should have sued High Fructose Corn Syrup after they started running those "You know what say about High Fructose Corn Syrup" commercials that completely blow off what's actually being said about it. The commercials never address the claims against High Fructose Corn Syrup and push it as natural.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

I am a diabetic and have been for a long time.
I swear on everything that I hold dear, for the knowlege I have....
And I have looked.
HFCS is chemical poison, and sugar is a natural extract.
Same for me, if i see HFCS on the label i put said product back.
HFCS however has infiltrated sooooo much food, I haven't had much out of a box in say the past 4 years.
This has benefitted me as I have found some awesome recipe's from scratch.
Remember HFCS poison, sugar natures sweetner.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

You forget honey and maple syrup! The first one is an antiseptic, and the other one will clean your bowels nicely, if you abuse... which can be useful after eating a lot of crap...

I go for sugar before anything else, after the two above.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Well, at least until 100% of sugar comes from GMO sugar beets. Dang, where am I going to get my sweet tooth fix then?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Touche' my friend!!
You are correct and I have forgotten a sweetner, honey!
I don't mention maple as I just cannot afford the stuff!

But I guess we have to add it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Never considered GMO sugar beets, I'll need to look that up.
Either way I buy C&H so i guess I avoid gmo, unless there is gmo sugar cane.

(Edit)
Hmmm seems the USDA in february 2011 partially deregulated gmo sugar beets, thank you for that tid bit.
If i can i avoid gmo altogether.
edit on 8-5-2011 by g146541 because: The sweet spot

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Good for the sugar industry! The last thing they want is to be grouped in the same catagory as high fructose corn syrup with all the negative publicity surrounding it. The sugar industry has had it battles to fight over the years and finally has found it's niche. It's not going to let HFCS get cozy with them and thier hard won battle!
Go sugar! lets get the poison out!.
brice

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
They probably should have just tried to rename it "Corn Sweetener."

By definition, sugar is granulated or powdered.

Now they might get away with it if they use it as a brand name and not a product identification.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Yes. I found out only a couple years ago about the legal definitions of products. Like in Canada a lemonade is not legally defined and so you can put (almost) anything in it and label it lemonade.

Or chicken nuggets with 17% percent of chicken protein... Where's the chicken? Yet its commercially labeled as chicken... as you point out.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

That sounds like the recent case of Alabama against Taco Bell. By definition, meat or beef had to be a certain percentage, and they claimed taco bell's beef tacos were not because the meat filling had more filler than meat.

Semantics.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hmm, wonder why they want their named changed, if hfcs is so safe as they say it is. Sounds like they are trying to hide! It's bigger indication into their lies.

Go sugar!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

I am a diabetic and have been for a long time.
I swear on everything that I hold dear, for the knowlege I have....
And I have looked.
HFCS is chemical poison, and sugar is a natural extract.
Same for me, if i see HFCS on the label i put said product back.
HFCS however has infiltrated sooooo much food, I haven't had much out of a box in say the past 4 years.
This has benefitted me as I have found some awesome recipe's from scratch.

I too try to stay away from anything boxed like you said the stuff is in just about everything processed now...

I try to keep to the perimeter of the supermarket when I shop all the healthy stuff seems to be in that area.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join