It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 NFL lockout...what do they know?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm just going to start by saying that I think the Mayan calendar ends October 28th, 2011. I mean when has anyone pushed forward an end of the world prediction? People generally push dates back when it's proved false. There's other reasons as well but that's not for this thread. I don't believe humanity will be wiped out, but rather many natural disasters that kill about half of earths population.

Ok, so the NFL owners are threatening to not have an NFL season in 2011. There willing to lose billions, for what? To save a couple hundred million. The lockout was actually settled for ONE day, before an appeals court overturned it.

Now imagine that the owners, read rich elites, know of impending doom. Would they let 60,000*16 people in stadiums, if they know there's a chance the stadiums would collapse? That would be a PR nightmare. It seems suspicious, as if they know something we don't(well some of is think we know).

"I hope I may conceive that I am mistaken" -aldous Huxley

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing...i think its a good thing to pay attention to because Im pretty sure a lot if not most of those owners would be made aware ahead of time....because the lockout really doesnt make sense

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I was also thinking the same thing. The NBA is in the same situation as well. If both the NFL and NBA lockout that is beyond suspicious.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The good news is..if the world really does end, at least my favorite team won the last superbowl

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure its mainly an issue about Greed. But who knows.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My birthday is October 23, and I haven't held a big celebration in a long time. I think I'll throw a huge birthday bash this year though...just in case.
edit on 5-5-2011 by ShadesofGrey78 because: typo

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Your wifes amazing, How much for a head shot?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
NWO Watch:

FEMA prisons and concentration camps are not our only worry.
Sports arenas will be used for detainment and processing also.
Louisiana's Superdome during Hurricane Katrina was a test.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think they are trying to boost up the hype around the new season.
Free media attention gets everyone talking and interested.
Then they watch the money start rolling in.

Sidenote: Why can't they create a football league where the game play is incredibly violent, almost gladiator-like. The people who would play will either have to be extremely good or get hurt very fast and replaced. I like the idea of having disposable players for the most part, the NFL is starting to bore me the same thing every season.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The problem is due to the fact that the oligarchs who own the NFL tried to take away the collective bargaining rights of the players, which has led to clash between the players and the owners. It's similar to what we saw happening in Wisconsin a couple of months ago. The owners are so rich that it doesn't really matter to them if they lose a season, which is why they're willing to play hardball. But they also understand that it's in their best interest to have the season and the league as a whole keep going, but of course they want it under their terms.

There is a massive nation-wide trend taking place right now where the uber rich are attempting to remove collective bargaining rights from unions of all types. Several states are experiencing this in a major way, and I would guess that we are only seeing the beginning of it. This appears to be a right-wing driven political move that has the simple goal of eroding one prominent piece of the little people's power, which the rulers view as an obstacle to their ultimate vision of America. The right wing is generally the preferred party of the ultra-wealthy business elite, and so they are using that political stance to drive the legislation through state governments that they control. But the NFL and other major league sports are desirable because the players make so much damn money. Why not channel a good chunk of that into the pockets of the owners? They probably view the players as a bunch of dumb brutes who don't deserve all that cash. Classic elite behavior

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by raip11sniper

I sent you a U2U message about it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by suterlaben
The problem is due to the fact that the oligarchs who own the NFL tried to take away the collective bargaining rights of the players, which has led to clash between the players and the owners. It's similar to what we saw happening in Wisconsin a couple of months ago. The owners are so rich that it doesn't really matter to them if they lose a season, which is why they're willing to play hardball. But they also understand that it's in their best interest to have the season and the league as a whole keep going, but of course they want it under their terms.

There is a massive nation-wide trend taking place right now where the uber rich are attempting to remove collective bargaining rights from unions of all types. Several states are experiencing this in a major way, and I would guess that we are only seeing the beginning of it. This appears to be a right-wing driven political move that has the simple goal of eroding one prominent piece of the little people's power, which the rulers view as an obstacle to their ultimate vision of America. The right wing is generally the preferred party of the ultra-wealthy business elite, and so they are using that political stance to drive the legislation through state governments that they control. But the NFL and other major league sports are desirable because the players make so much damn money. Why not channel a good chunk of that into the pockets of the owners? They probably view the players as a bunch of dumb brutes who don't deserve all that cash. Classic elite behavior

So what you are saying is that, the rich oligarchs are trying to send a message to the people that, "We can even take away the bargaining rights of your gladiators." And that no one can seek shelter from their wrath. Interesting...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Crap...maybe they will even try to get the players on their side to promote the abolition of unions in next years super bowl ads. Sad but true. I hope enough players are left, ones that remember where they came from, to render this thought impossible.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hey OP,

I like this topic, I'm a big NFL fan and I'm convinced we aren't having a season this year. However, where we disagree is the cause. Now don't get me wrong, I like your point of view and in fact it is somewhat connected at least financially.

The fact is this lockout has nothing to do other than the fact that at least half if not the majority of the NFL owners are broke. Simply being because of the outrageous finance deals that were created to support new stadium deals. Sure, they have plenty of assets but their cash flow is severely limited right now due to the global economic implosion that is presently occurring in front of our eyes.

Take my home team owners, The Glazers, down here in Tampa. These guys are so broke it's pathetic and they didn't even finance a stadium. They did one better, they went and purchased the most expensive sports franchise in the world, the Manchester United.

Take another example, Jerry Jones. This guy basically dumped every bit of his liquid into a billion dollar stadium. And he is still financed to the hilt.

Point being, these owners are hence forced into taking more of the pie. Not sure if you're aware but the NFL owners have a lucrative insurance policy in place that basically guarantees them a very close percentage to what would equate to one NFL season.

In a nutshell, they can afford to wait and the players can't. As far as the players, pffft, that's another topic in itself, but let's just say for most of these guys, in the off season they are basically living paycheck to paycheck.
edit on 5-5-2011 by OnTheFelt because: grammer

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Sidenote: Why can't they create a football league where the game play is incredibly violent, almost gladiator-like. The people who would play will either have to be extremely good or get hurt very fast and replaced. I like the idea of having disposable players for the most part, the NFL is starting to bore me the same thing every season.

I think your idea absolutely rocks. we should have it that way. this should be done with a lot of sports to keep them interesting. I always thought that golf on a mine field would be entertaining to watch rather than just a boring golf game.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Perhaps some owners just don't want to pay for a new stadium, sense some people will still show up to a crappy one.
edit on 5-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985
reply to post by OnTheFelt

Perhaps some owners just don't want to pay for a new stadium, sense some people will still show up to a crappy one.
edit on 5-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

We're not talking about the present, we're talking about what's already done. In fact don't count on seeing any new stadiums in the very near future. And you're right, people would still come, but then again that's something else all together...GREED!!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

They are greedy spoiled jocks. I have NO sympathy for them.

They need to grow up! They get paid MILLIONS to toss a damn ball. It doesn't take rocket science to do it.

I can't stand these guys right now. Even the bench players make a killing. They need to grow up! They contribute nothing to society but their egos.

Too bad....let them cry.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

Originally posted by AnteBellum

I think your idea absolutely rocks. we should have it that way. this should be done with a lot of sports to keep them interesting. I always thought that golf on a mine field would be entertaining to watch rather than just a boring golf game.

Call me crazy but I would pay to watch that!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
can somebody please explain "lockout" ? i dont watch sport... thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join