It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash player ghost in the machine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hello just a really quick thread here, I almost feel bad taking up room on the boards.

But has anyone experienced a ghost flash player on their browser? Basically on more than a few occasions I have closed down a web page only to have the video that was playing still producing audio. This happens even after I completely close the browser and turn off the Internet. However when I run Task Manager there is apparently no applications running?

I am a tad puzzled and just wondering how I can remedy this bug, whether it be downloading a new plug in or turning off some settings.

Any help will be much appreciated with a tasty star! Cheers.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Its not that unusual. If you are running firefox, firefox runs the flash player as a separate process, called plugin-container.exe. This prevents flash or other plug-ins from crashing the browser. When you close the browser it still runs for a little while, because it has cached content. I presume the same thing happens with chrome, seing it is based on the firefox browser.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
You can go into processes and kill it.

Same problems can come from windows media player. The process still runs after the application was closed, and it'll either update and cancel itself, or keep playing until you turn it off manually(control panel or reboot).

Annoying, I know.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well actually, I had the same issues but on my phone.
I have a smartphone (HTC Desire) and usually browse ATS/Youtube late at night and the same problem arose. Same thing with my PC.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips folks!

As you can imagine it isn't so bad if it's a short video, but on a few occasions I have been streaming an hour long doc only for the page to crash but the audio to continue!

join