It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I wouldnt mind paying taxes if they allowed me to funnel said taxes into programs that I want to see funded and dont make me work the 1st for months of the year for FREE.

-Military-Need one and need a good one because there are enough nut jobs out there that dont like us that would absolutley jump on us if we are not the biggest baddest dude on the block. Lets not forget, 10 years of war in the middle east have produced a generations of soliders to help us fight back if the SHTF

-I like certain Social plans. I like the idea of SS if it was run the way it was intended to run. NOT mandatory like it is now. I LOVE our National Park system and money should be sent there by every American regardless if they ever go to one. They are truly a national treasure.

There are other things as well, but I dont care for most GOV spending. It is clearly wasteful.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Is he doing this because gas prices are not high enough yet? What an arragant kook!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You guys are so cute with all that extra tax stuff. Here in Michigan we have a gasoline sales tax just like most of you do. However, what you do not have is that tax applied after the federal gasoline tax. Welcome to our world, land of the progressive union elected government double taxation carnival of endless fun - you're going to love it! Eternal economic depression mixed with clownish attempts at good news every once in a while, it's a sweet life.

And don't worry about a chip, tracker or any other electronic system. Say hello to a "safety check" twice a year which will both add jobs for Nerobama to take credit for and to keep us all safe and sound in a properly operating vehicles - even the odometer! So it won't matter if some clown only drives 3,000 miles a year, you still get to pony up the fee for the "safety check" and thus will join in the misery.

And Nerobama will be in office after 2012. There is no possible way that he will be leaving the White House. The sooner we all get used to that simple fact the sooner we can all deal with this kind of system.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The can tax me wen they can pry the unleaded pump from my cold, dead hands.

That being said, folks. They are going to raise taxes. Oh, it won't be a tax. It'll be a fee, a revenue enhancement, or a progressive revenue.
blog.lib.umn.edu...

But they'll figure out a way to make more money. And it'll be to "help" you, to "aid" you, to "assist" you. To ease the burden of having too much money. They know better. They only want to "help" you with burdensome decisions like where to drive, or how much you should or could drive.

Folks who are for it? Well, you can take your brave new world and. . . . .

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

several posters have pointed out specific groups that would be heavily penalized with a 'by the mile' tax. and if this nonsense were passed Mr. Obama would have his friends figure out how to apply it to every vehicle on the roads. which would lead to sweeping across-the-board price increases of everything, product or service, because companies would seek to have their increased overhead passed on. it would be a massive collective screwing.

IMHO it is more BS smoke & mirrors to distract us from the 1,001 other ways we are already being screwed by our clown shoe wearing friends of Washington DC.

as someone else posted in this thread: How about cutting spending?

none of this crap is going to go away until we all turn off our TV's & PCs and hustle on down to Pennsylvania Avenue. our representatives & our government system is a failure in need of replacement. the corrupted and the corruptors are but a few thousand. they only have the power we let them have.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by armtx
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I wouldnt mind paying taxes if they allowed me to funnel said taxes into programs that I want to see funded and dont make me work the 1st for months of the year for FREE.

You're supposed to be able to vote for representatives that will make your wishes known at the local, state and federal levels.

How's that working out for you?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
the trucking industry would be the most heavily effected.

and they deliever most of the goods that go to every single retailer in this country and that will translate into higher food costs,clothing costs,entertainment, everything that people run to the store and buy.

i dont think that people are comprehending the magintude of what such as tax would do to the economy.

its insanity.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I already pay tax "by the mile", per se: I buy "X" gallons of gasoline which gets me "Y" miles. If I drive a "less efficien"t vehicle I buy more gas and if I drive a "more efficient" vehicle I buy less gas. My choice of vehicles is limited to what I have, what I need and what I can afford. Arguably, 20MPG is pretty damn efficient for a truck and I get that around town or or the highway/"Free"way... and it's a 1988 model. Logically speaking, a less efficient vehicle contributes more to taxes and thus more to highway maintanence.

I should be able to decide what I can or cannot drive: the government should not tell me what I can or cannot afford.

Mr. Obama, go back off in your own jack yard. You ain't so muckin' fuch yourself.

edit on 5/5/2011 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This one is obvious and to be expected. Here is the agenda that I laid out to some friends of mine when hybrids were coming out and the notion of battery cars was popping up.

Hybrids were Windows ME (if you will) of the auto transition. A stepping stone to the next revolution that gave people that quick "feels good" sensation. They are not meant for long term use. The technology has to be developed slowly and let out in bits so that the research is constantly being paid for and the industries and government keep collecting.
The current push is the battery car. Electrics. These cars do not consume gasoline and you charge them up at home. You are now not supplying your share of the multiple tax dollars that they are used to (gas and electric), so they are losing a revenue center. They want to make this all about road construction and will continue to do so, but seriously. If you look at the numbers taken in versus the numbers shelled out, they do not spend nearly as much on road construction as they take in on fuel tax.
How do we get around this? Well, until they get the charging stations up and running and charging $1-2 per volt consumed, they still need to generate an income. As well, anything that they can get into place now while it sounds like its for a good cause (ie road funding), they can keep once the infrastructure is complete.

Now, they sell this steaming terd on the grounds of funding construction projects and that it should apply to all drivers. There will be other porkfat provisions added to this as well, which will be the only way to get it through. But wait. What about the gasoline powered vehicles already paying road tax? Do they get a tax break now for actually driving a gas powered vehicle? Sure, you will. On [next year's] return you will be able to get a break on your taxes for the amount of mileage driven as long as you can certify your annual start/finish mileage. Of course, there is no way to certify that, since no official process was set up to handle that. If you are auditted and do not have all of your fuel receipts, then you have to pay for what is not covered. The next year, the tax breaks run out, just like they did with first time home buyers and electric car buyers.

Now, the government has fullfilled its promise to give you a break on your gas guzzler, instituted a brand new road tax (in addition to tags and fuels), begun collecting tax at the recharge centers, and all the while the sheeple just roll on over and decide its STILL not yet worth standing up.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I bet Obama would like to tax the big fat turd my kid left behind in my bathroom today. He better come by to collect personally though so I can show it to him up close...accurate assessment and all.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You will get a GPS unit in every car like a modified Onstar system so when you get gas or plug in all the info is given to big brother and if you don't pay they will shut off your car.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Good! I barely drive anywhere....maybe 3000 miles a year. If I drive less, then I should be taxed less. I'm shouldn't have to foot the bill for those that drive excessively.

You are missing the whole point.

We shouldn't be taxed at all on the miles we drive.

We pay tax that goes for the roads, we pay tax on the fuel, we pay tax on the vehicle registration, this is getting ridiculous.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

No, a better one would read......

Obama brings home military and puts them on the border & cuts Federal Government 50%

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

On the bright side of things, at least it should hinder politicians and their junkets....wait..... I'm sure they will "exempt" themselves from any such legislation. They should get charged 4 times what the average citizen would be taxed, plus include airline miles.
Maybe we should just go back to horses and hot air balloons.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Next up...

Tax the number of steps we take!

Tax keystrokes!

Maybe that is why music is bad lately....

Or how about how many breaths we take? Sheesh when will it end? Maybe they want Civil War because the people will only take so much before they revolt..........thats a fact!

We don't need them telling us how to run our lives or taxing us for the way we choose to run them.........People are getting tired for the Governmen's Crap they keep dishing out! Maybe its time we start serving it back to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I posted in a duplicate thread but thought I'd post here too.....

This old ploy rears it's head again.

They will keep pushing this (quietly) until so many people are used to the idea that implementing it will be seen as inevitable.

Fight it BIG TIME.

Why?.....because it is a grand scheme to add tracking and profiling abilities to vehicles and their owners/drivers. Motorcyclists in particular who are usually the sole user of the bike.

Remember, there is a thing called Automatic Numberplate Recognition System (ANRS), already in use in the UK and probably elsewhere so they're getting there already.

Fitting individual trackers to cars will only create huge costs for drivers and even transport restrictions. What if your tracker breaks? Would you be arrested if you drove the car for driving without paying taxes....stupid!

Blind spots where the system cannot be read.
Counterfeit hacking of systems.
Massive administration costs.
Inconvenience when selling or buying a vehicle and transferring ownership.

Oh!...hang on....LET'S CHIP AND TRACK THE INDIVIDUAL TO OVERCOME ALL THOSE PROBLEMS.

No thanks.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Great. I lost my job making $250k a year 6 months ago and I finally found a job that will pay me $40k a year except I have to drive 120 miles each way every day to work I have a family of 4, child care is overpriced. We would save our family money if my wife quit her job and stayed home with the kids, except her overpriced healthcare offered at her job is cheaper that what we can get privately. Just kidding! I am very thankful that is not my situation but I can easily see that and much worse happpening. Just another expense to add on your monthly budget. Mileage Tax.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Next up...

Tax the number of steps we take!

Tax keystrokes!

Maybe that is why music is bad lately....

I don't think it's primarily about the taxes, it's about the tracking.

When the system for vehicles fails and becomes a hacked, inoperable overcostly administation mess, they will then seek to track the individual saying it would be more efficient and economical. Tracking vehicles will fail....that's the plan I'm sure.

One chip, one life, no escape or privacy.

One big goal for big brother....Gotcha!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
here is the headline I want
but will never see.

Obama cuts Military by 50% to balance the budget

YES!

This is just another tax proposal (like a high sales tax, for example) that would impact lower income people more than those that make a higher wage.

Taxes are necessary to run this country but some of these ideas (like this one in this thread) are just a bad idea and not fair to most.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

If you vote, you are forced to be a part of it. Let's make sure we have everyone vote for the right person.
Have we found that person yet?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join