It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "official" Metallica thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I can't believe I couldn't find a thread like this yet. I found ones for Death Magnetic, and another hating on them for making Load and Reload. But none I could find celebrating their now almost 30 years of leading the way in Metal.

Yep...late 1981 is when Lars first met Het. Their first album as Metallica with Cliff and Kirk wasn't for 2 more years, but the band can trace it's roots back to 1981. Enough with the history lesson. This thread is made to shred and NO ONE does it better than Metallica. You don't have to like everything they ever put out. I'm sure even they don't. But bands get stale if they do the same thing for 30 years. So they have to change it up some.

Post your favorite Metallica songs here. This thread isn't for hating. If anyone hates, I will post something from Load just to piss people off!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
after Cliff Burton died they were never same. and never really listen to them after they released that black album..... talking about selling out...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Cliff Burton- The best metal bassist there ever was or ever will be. Rest In Piece

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
saw these guys live over here in Australia one of the best shows ive seen

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by adam76
after Cliff Burton died they were never same. and never really listen to them after they released that black album..... talking about selling out...

I agree sort of....I really liked their work with Cliff, but they would have still evolved with him or Jason.
Anyways....I warned you all
. No hating or I'm linking Load!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
great band cliff shouldnt have died and they should kicked lars out. i dont think they really paved the way for metal. id say they heavily were influenced by the new wave of british heavy metal. still an awsome band but they just took riffs from diminond head and angle witch and turned up the temp. still great band cept after and justice for all. the black album is great too as it was my introduction to them. but still ride the lightining, kill em all, and master of puppets are some of the best metal albums ever hands down

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't care what anyone says, this entire performance is just brilliant!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
MetallicA is actually the band who got me into metal. I understand that Ride the Lighting and MOP are masterpieces but my favorite album is ...And Justice for All. It's an amazing record, I love the lyrics, I love this dry sound.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
i don't care what anybody says about load and re-load they are in the top 10 albums of all time. 2 words: outlaw torn

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
30 years of leading the way in Metal.

The band hasn't been groundbreaking in 25 years They've made some good songs sure. But leading the way? Come on now seriously? Leading the way to what? Their shirts getting sold in mall kiosks next to plastic spiked bracelets and novelty t-shirts?

Metallica combines populism and metal which are two things that should never meet. In many ways the path of least resistance is the least metal thing ever.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

The sandman is entering baby

God the black album rocks !!!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

You have already posted my favorite Metallica song,One.
I haven't listened to Metallica since early 2002 and Jason
was still the bass player.I don't know this new guy.

I loved the black album and Enter Sandman...
edit on 8-5-2011 by mamabeth because: added more

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Personally I think Metallica sucks.
BUT, I used to LOVE Metallica, and I still LOVE their first 3 albums.
To me, Kill 'Em All was so gorundbreaking and excellent.
Cliff is what made Metallica have that underground edge.
I think Lars wanted to be a rockstar, and with cliff gone, he could guide the band in that direction.
I guess he succeeded, and kudos to him/them, but I don't like it.

Give me the Cliff-era Metallica or none at all.

I wanted to edit to add, I think I feel like this because I was there at the start, I bought Kill 'Em All back when it came out, and the other albums too. Now, I suppose a latecomer could feel different, but I think an underground metal fan like me, at that time, in the early 80's that loved early Metallica, Venom, Slayer etc, is more prone to feel like I do, that the post-Cliff stuff is just weak rock star wanking in comparison to the first 3 albums.
edit on 8-5-2011 by tom502 because: added stuff

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

lol. Hate all you want. I happen to like the stuff from Load and Reload!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That's not to say everything they did after Cliff has no musical merit, and some material may be good.
But it's just become 2 different bands. And Metallica today would be a band Metallica 1982 would have hated.
This is my opinion.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tom502

Finally something to sink my teeth in to! I was there from the beginning too. I wasn't a fan though of Kill 'Em All. Ride The Lightening was better, but it wasn't really until ...And Justice For All that I sat up and took notice. My whole purpose back then was to rebel against everything. And since Mater of Puppets was "the in thing" at the time, I rebelled against it at the time.

I will admit, One was the song that did it for me. That's when I turned into a fan. I totally agree with you on the point that Cliff is what gave them that edge. Hell...he pretty much invented headbanging. The problem with Jason was, he wasn't really given a chance. He was in the band for 15 or so years. But listen to the early stuff from him. The rhythm guitar riffs were mimicking the bass lines almost, so the bass was suppressed.

Unfortunately for both Jason, as well as Kirk was that they were both blamed in a way by Het and Lars for Cliffs death. Jason was never allowed to shine. For those of you who don't know, Cliff had asked Kirk to change places with him on the bus cause he wanted that bunk to sleep in. Kirk walked away from the crash, Cliff didn't.

Tom..you have balls though. You come on my thread after I say not to hate in this thread and right up front boldly state they suck. But that you used to like them. But then you tell me why. And for that, you get a star!
Your right though...it's a different band than it used to be. But...I don't think they would still be here if they hadn't changed their style. No band who has passed the test of time still makes the same music they did back in the day.
Bands have to mature. And not everyone likes it. Personally, I would rather still have them around making good music, than to not have them at all. Even if the music isn't the same.

Too many people hate on Metallica though cause they don't like the fact they led the fight against free downloads of their music, or because they "became commercial."
I don't have a problem with them wanting their music paid for. And I have. Sharing music didn't used to be as easy before as it is now.
The problem with becoming commercial is that basically it just means your records sell. And because the Black Album sold many many copies and had hit songs on it they became a commercial success. Which meant they aren't underground anymore.

We can agree to disagree...
, but you still hated...lol so here's more Load!

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

My fave metallica track

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Metallica is one of the biggest gateway bands to metal. Kirk's guitar playing drives me a bit nuts though; I don't think he ever plays without the wah pedal.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
OK>>>>>I had to post this as soon as I heard the audio from this last set of shows and the videos started showing up.

For all the haters who didn't like Dave being kicked out, or Metallica without Jason...or whatever here they are in Dec 11. ALL reunited. If only Cliff were still there. Although...in all fairness to him...the bassist BEFORE Cliff joined Ron McGovney was also there those nights.

Seek and Destroy with ALL of Metallica...and the spirit of Cliff...December 10th, 2011

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What a diverse fan base Metallica has. You've got the purists that listened to them when they came out and blew our socks off. Kill 'em, MoP, Justice but my fav is and always will be Ride the Lightning. No better grouping of Metallica songs on 1 album. And you COULD get albums back then:

The Black album I wasn't big on and everything else after as well(they sold well though.) With the exception of S&M. Metal and classical are very similar by design. Here's a 2fer. A Lightning tune on S&M:

I thought they got back to basics with Death Magnetic:

As with all long tenured bands they eventually serve up a turd. St. Anger.

edit on 14-1-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join