It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are YOU preparing for?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I wanted to create this thread to ask you why you are stocking up on survival gear, this question is directed at each individual person, it's not a bash, i'm interested to know your own personal reasons for it, maybe you have a belief? or maybe you just want to be safe rather than sorry incase something bad happens.

I've considered stocking up myself but right now i can't *cant think of the word* the cost of doing it and i dont want friends or family to think im going crazy.

Please only post constructive replies that are on topic and benefit the discussion
edit on 29-4-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

I have stocked up on Beans. To gurantee that nobody bothers me.

If anybody confronts me i say "pull my finger".

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Are you talking about suddenly building and outfitting a shelter, or just having on hands supplies in case of natural/other emergencies? Why would practical steps be deemed crazy? Do you feel an ounce of prevention equates to insanity?

Just curious...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ev0lveUp
reply to post by Itop1

Are you talking about suddenly building and outfitting a shelter, or just having on hands supplies in case of natural/other emergencies? Why would practical steps be deemed crazy? Do you feel an ounce of prevention equates to insanity?

Just curious...

I just see a lot of people on here stocking up on food and weapons, i was just wondering if they are doing it for any reason in particular, or its just a case of being safe than sorry.

I'm not bashing anyone, i'm just interested in peoples views.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Nothing, but not by choice.

The rising cost of living and lack of opportunity has me pigeonholed for resources or any savings for that matter.

When I was a kid one parent's modest income could comfortably support a family of four.
Now both work full time and can barely make ends meet with only themselves and my sister to take care of.
(Sorry if off topic it just really Grinds my Gears)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
i am stocking up for "just in case of a zombie apocalypse"

and no i am not making fun of anyone and nor do i believe that zombies are scientifically possible

but all survival strategy all of them have the common basics.

water
food
shelter
fuel
weapons and ammo
supplies to rebuild.
miscellaneous supplies ie clothing.
transporation.

every survival strategy all of them have their common denominators which were mentioned above.

if you prepare for one shtf scenario the chances are your covered more a myraid of scenarios.

the most important thing required for any shtf is what everyone already has and it didnt cost anything

the head between your shoulders.

good luck and god speed may the day never come that when we ever will need those things or the knowledge.
edit on 29-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
earthquake zone i live in (coastal BC) can have earthquakes up to 9.2+, so it would be dumb not to prepare.

link   
To be honest with you I learned a thing or two after living through my share of hurricanes. Fortunately, I no longer live in the hurricane zone but I am now faced with Tornado season which I have been prepping for in addition to my usual stock of supplies for winter storms, power outages etc. My preparations all build and piggy back on one another with a few changes from season to season.

I would advise all to be prepared for the food shortage that has yet to wield its ugly head. Fuel prices are soaring in the US in addition to the costs of common food staple items. Corn reserves are very low, drought is hitting portions of the American agricultural belt and we have had a record breaking tornado season so far. Not to mention a looming hurricane season that is predicted to be rather fierce based on current Atlantic Ocean temperatures. All of those events drive prices up and put common items in high demand like lumber and building supplies.

As for all of the other bunk you hear about. If if ever comes, I am prepared for a couple of weeks at the most. If you really want to learn about prepping for the long term do some quick research on how the Mormons prepare with at least 6 months supply for all in ones family. Pretty impressive and makes sense because we are living in a different world nowadays.

Cheers!!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Speaking of Zombies have you ever watched any videos from Hickok 45 on Youtube? www.youtube.com.../u/0/05bDWj_uTkQ He's got some amusing zombie videos and great firearm reviews and just plain old fun shoots. If anything it is good for 30 minutes of amusement and a little education.

Keep em in the ten ring!! or the Zombies neck. It's always best to blast the head like a tom turkey

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

yeah man i seen alot of his videos

he sure does love glocks

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Oh, it's alright. I didn't think you were saying anything negative. I just read a bit of defensiveness in the questions.
I think it's a matter of who/what you're responsible for, and how seriously you take it. We're in a drought situation, so I keep a spare bit of water, collect rainwater- utilize gray water and such... not because the water is shorted yet, but in case.

Just simple steps that our grandparents did automatically, nothing crazy. Knowing what natural plants are edible, medicinal and having a bit of a garden- can go a long way if grocery deliveries get delayed. Keeps you out of the chaos and such.

There's a post on here -somewhere recent- with a list of manuals, if you're curious about where to start?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have prepared for…..my own piece of mind. I had been doing some reading and researching and sort of freaked myself out with the topics of impending doom. I couldn’t focus on one particular scenario, and it just came down to some kind of gut feeling that something was coming. With that said, the main reason that I have prepared was to do whatever I can to protect my wife and kids. Taking it down to the basics, I am the man of the household, and it is my duty to do whatever it takes to ensure the safety and well being of these people. I have built up a basic food/water supply, first aid, and other necessities I felt appropriate. I have also recently added a firearm to my supplies, and will be teaching my wife and kids how to use it properly. In addition to these items and supplies, we have also worked up an emergency plan with meeting points, communications plans, and various other need-to-know information. All that, and it truly has given me some piece of mind that when the SHTF, I will be ready.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Please do not post what you have and what you are doing on here! There are moles everywhere, it is like pre-Nazi Germany right now all over the world. Don't be so candid and post what you have and why! You can be traced through your IP addy!

I'm just a concerned Mama to everyone.

xoxo Suz

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think society will collapse shortly after the dollar so I've got the essentials stored away and buy a little every week.

Supplies Gathered:

Tinned food (100)
Peanut Butter (5)
Cereal (5)
Water (5 Gallon)
First Aid Kit
Portable Solar Generator
Fishing Wire & Fishing Hooks (15m) (4)
Lighters (25)
Thermal Blanket (4)
BBQ
Flash-Light
Dental Floss
Fluoride Free Toothpaste (6)
Toothbrush (4)
Hand Sanitizer
Tent
Bleach (To clean dirty water)

That's what i have so far, I might be selling my PS3 to buy a rifle.

edit on 29-4-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Because if you prepare for a zombie apocalypse, everything else seems easy.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Suz, those things really don't matter...

I'm preparing for lots of camping and wilderness exploration, sounds like a fun plan. Basic preparedness is a no brainer. So, pretty much my gear looks like an extended camping trip. Although it's superior gear and no hassle shelters like tipis w/ stoves.

Catastrophes are on the rise and will only get worse, same with food shortages and potential chaos. These things are going to climax 2012 and nothing of the such will matter after that. It's going to be a radically different world. Like a whole new dimension, ya feel me? What we are seeing now are the birth pangs...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

What am I preparing for? Nothing and everything. I believe in the saying, "Plan for the worst, hope for the best."

You never know what is around the corner. Whether it be economic crisis, zombies, aliens, or revolution, its best to have the essentials stockpiled.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies, have any of you watched "I Am Legend" ? I love that movie and sometimes i think to myself what it would be like if i woke up one morning and i was the only person left, your family gone, your wife and your kids just gone, your street empty, all the people just gone but the wildlife still goes on and its just you and the animals..... and all your survival gear you had been building up, you got all the equiptment for clean water and food rations to last you a couple of years.

Or maybe you have another scenario where you have complete social breakdown, martial law has been bought in and everyone is running rampage, people killing other people for basics such as food and water, you have a scenario where you have more people than food and its a fight of the fittest, your family could be in danger at any time of the day and your suddenly not feeling as macho as you did the previous night when you were posting on ATS, its starting to sink in that your on your own and theres no 911 to dial, its a free for all.

Because lets be honest, 7/10 people would not be able to survive either of those scenarios, ive met people before that seemed more than capable when times were good and they knew that no matter what happened, at the end of the day they would be going home to the security of their own home to sleep in their nice comfy warm bed, but when it got down to the nitty gritty they just fell apart like a slab of cheshire cheese.

If something does go bad in the future, i just hope theres a decent group of people i can join up with to get through it together, because i think it would be a whole different ball game by yourself, becoming lonely is just one of many problems you would need to deal with.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have met people who fell apart on 3 mile backpack overnights because they couldnt take the isolation. I watched a group of 12 fall apart at sunrise camp in Big Basin when a cougar came and looted a small roast at night. Seen people fall apart when raccoons raided them at night in regular campgrounds. Had yuppie do gooders accuse me of being a monster for whacking a possum on the tail end with an empty paper towel roll to chase it off during a deck party.

People dont have a clue. Just wait...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura
Suz, those things really don't matter...

I'm preparing for lots of camping and wilderness exploration, sounds like a fun plan. Basic preparedness is a no brainer. So, pretty much my gear looks like an extended camping trip. Although it's superior gear and no hassle shelters like tipis w/ stoves.

Catastrophes are on the rise and will only get worse, same with food shortages and potential chaos. These things are going to climax 2012 and nothing of the such will matter after that. It's going to be a radically different world. Like a whole new dimension, ya feel me? What we are seeing now are the birth pangs...

^^ This.

I'm all in for a super extended stay out in the wilds living off the land and what nature intended with a like minded group of enlightend people. Oh and just to note: we may be enlightend but do not mistake that for weak willed - prod us and we bite back till you can't prod again.

What have we seen coming down the pipe line? varied scenarios but on the main a massive break down of all services leading to being left to fend for ourselves for a 6 months plus time period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join