It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic Detectives??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
....Baron, who lives in North Hollywood, Calif., is a self-described "psychic detective." She has no formal training � but she says she has a wealth of spiritual contacts.
Recently, she was contacted by police working on the case of 21-year-old Penn State University student Cindy Song, who disappeared after attending a Halloween party in 2001 in State College, Pa.......

abcnews.go.com...

I've always been fascinated with the idea that police often(if not secretly) use psychic detectives in assisting them to solve crimes.
Do you believe that these self proclaimd psychics pray on the minds of highly emotional people?
Or do you believe that there are people out there who truly assist in the solving of crimes?
I think I believe that it might be a bit of both.
Where there are genuine psychics, you will also find fakes as well. But there is no denying that police have used them for help on unsolved cases.

Do you believe that it gives these psychic detectives some credibility, because police have used them for help?
I believe that police wouldn't waste time and energy using these psychic detectives if they felt that it would be completely useless.

In this thread, I'm also interested in hearing about the fakes. The ones who pray on people, only to serve their own material interests.

What do you know?
What have you heard?
What do you think?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This is a site describing cases in which psychics gave the police many false leads.

Most experienced police seem to recognize the basic trick of psychics, called retrofitting. This involves tossing out several vague "clues" (such as a number, a mention of "water," etc.) which are then interpreted to fit the true facts after they become known.

From www.parascope.com...

It describes 20 cases in which the 'clues' given were all found to be false. It concludes with this

As these examples show, psychics are a hindrance rather than an aid to police. In fact, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, a branch of the Department of Justice, states there is not a single documented instance of anyone finding a missing child through the use of psychic power. (Marder 1994.) The same is true of crime solving. No longer should self-styled psychics be given credit for the difficult work done by law enforcement personnel.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I have mixed emotions about this. Until recently I had no experience with this sort of thing until I got a strange image in my head. I wrote down my experience/prediction and posted it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If "psychic detectives" experience anything like I experienced, then I wouldn't expect them to give that many details with respect to where a person is. Rather, I would expect them to know "how" a person is. If nothing else, my image focused on the condition of the body. By vision, in the thread I posted, I mean more of an image that was implanted in my head that I could almost feel.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I believe there are genuine psychics out there and that the police use them when all other avenues have failed, although I think most police departements keep fairly quiet about it.

The book Psychic Detectives by Jenny Randles is an interesting read.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There was also another physic cop before on this show, basically he had more of a sixth sense about where to look and who to possibly suspect. Maybe we are all born with this ability, but in his case, his was trained more, since it was his job day in day out. BTW I saw I dont know the name of this show, something like America's paranormal mysteries or something.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
how can these ppl be fake if there information is right most of the time like above 80 percent , the only other option is that they were involved in the murder and that seems a little far fached on even a parniod day

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I thought you might be interested in this: www.prweb.com...

Hollywood-Based Skeptics Expose Self-Proclaimed �Nationally Known Psychic Investigator.�

The Independent Investigations Group �gets it right� on Carla Baron � the would-be supernatural sleuth whose fictitious claims of solving crimes were reported as fact by ABC News, the Associated Press, and the Boston Globe.

Hollywood, CA (PRWEB) August 24, 2004 -- The Independent Investigations Group (IIG) has released a complete report on Carla Baron, who claims to have solved crimes with her psychic powers. This group of volunteer skeptics researched media reports on these crimes, contacted police investigators, and even observed Baron�s technique up close. The IIG has determined that 100% of these cases are either currently unsolved or were solved without Baron�s assistance, proving that any claim she makes of being a psychic detective is completely unsubstantiated.

Take the grisly case in Southern California of a murdered mother and daughter, whose bodies were not completely recovered. Baron takes credit for leading police to the location of their remains, and ABC News aired a videotape of undisclosed origin that made it appear that she worked with police investigators. Apparently ABC never bothered to research the case like IIG did, or they would have discovered that Baron was never involved with the case, and in fact, the victim�s remains were found by hikers.

Baron claims to have led investigators to the body of a man missing in Indiana. The Associated Press reported Baron�s claim without checking it out. If they did, they would have discovered what IIG discovered with one phone call � the police didn�t even know about Baron�s information until a week after the body had been found by standard police procedures. In fact, Baron never predicted exactly where the body was. She said it was, �up a slight incline in a cornfield, with a wire fence and a telephone pole nearby� � a �vision� that describes much of the 36,000 square miles that make up Indiana.

The Boston Globe reports that Baron has provided police with a description of a man that she believes abducted a New England college student. It turns out that Baron's description is: "a clean-cut looking man." The IIG doubts that police will try to round up the sixty million men that match this description.

Baron has also generated publicity by attaching her name to such famous crimes as the O.J. Simpson murders, the abduction of Elizabeth Smart, and the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. The IIG has systematically shown, in case after case, that she was not involved with these investigations in any meaningful way.

What�s even more insidious is Baron�s claim that she doesn�t charge for working on missing persons cases. The report from IIG illustrates how Baron makes money by using the publicity that she generates from these �cases� to bring in more customers for her $200 per hour readings.

"Psychic Detectives" do not solve crimes. Read the complete report at www.iigwest.com...

The Independent Investigations Group is the West Coast�s premiere paranormal research organization. We have a standing offer of $10,000 to anyone who can prove paranormal abilities under scientific testing conditions and we work with the James Randi Educational Foundation by screening for their One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge. Visit our website at www.iigwest.com, e-mail us at [email protected], or call (323) 960-7896.

The Center for Inquiry-West is the west coast home to the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP), publisher of Skeptical Inquirer magazine. Visit our website at www.cfiwest.org, or email [email protected], or call (323) 666-9797.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The police did in fact hire psycics to help solve cases until recently.States,Canada and England.
Problem was, not only were they sometimes effective,but implicated the police themselves who merely wanted a patsy.
Then the psycic was manhandled."You knew a body was in this field how! You must be an accessory! I don't believe this psycic sh-t! "
And the psycic was put away after 'confessing".Word gets around though,and this was stopped.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
They work with Randi, hmmm kind of dents their credibility already, if they want to be seen as a fair and balanced organisation they'd be better distancing themselves from him.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Do any of you remember when Buddy Ebson,the actor,and ex-OSS man was interviewed on television,I think 1970 something?
He was Danish by origin and spoke of changes coming,including the sea.
"Now the first to do away with Royalty ironically,was England.At first Royalty only picked the best,you might call it breeding.Later,they would set up their friends and family no matter what,and God help anyone who opposed them.That is why many fled to North America.The ones who succeeded had something going for them.
And if any of these Royals actually loves this authority or power,then God help us all! For they have no concern for you or me at all.They are extremely dangerous.And a little crazy I might add having met a few.
Our Constitution almost from the onset was changed.One line was alterated.It was the one guaranteeing any citizen,even a guest,the right for due process before incarceration.And that means any time of the day,night,week,holiday or season.For if they haul you into their chambers,they can use their meathooks on you and force you to change your testimony,even under oath. They can break you,not just physically,which is obvious,but mentally,even spiritually.
This originated,not here,not in England or Germany or Siberia,but in France.The Sorte. They use men,not maniacs,but devious,and have not just a lack of respect,but total disdain for life,dignity, or above all intelligence. They even wait their chances to work over these politians,until they get in who they like,using every dirty trick against the opposition.That is why France has quieted down some.
Revolution after revolution has come and gone,and these people keep finding ways to get into positions of authority.
There's going to be some changes,before we all get turned into zombies. The next century. "

That is all I can get .The recording is probably availiable,although Ebson was threatened while doing it.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
PLEASE HELP ME!!
My sister was missing and some one murder her. but we just dont know how and who killed her.
Please help ous we need your Help.

new topics

top topics

join