It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hogzilla

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
1,000 pound 12 foot long hog killed in georgia... quite a beast.

story plus picture Hogzil la

[edit on 29-7-2004 by Skinnyb]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
that was freaked out. just a little. makes the dog my boyfriend has look more, well, managable.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hey guys--I live about less than 30 miles from there I'll find out about this story! Even find out if these 2 peeps are on the up and up. I have my ways! lol Will post tomorrow!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
chickenchecker0945 that would be great as you live so near,

Yes please find out what info you can for us,

Will be intresting to see what you can find out,

Remember take that note pad and pen lol

Asala

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have seen some enormous hogs in my day, so this seems possible.

Still, that's one ginormous porker. I wonder if Guiness should be contacted?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
SO he didn't eat it....what the hell did he kill it for! I swear it's embarrassing to be a human sometimes! "It gross and scary" or "I'm afraid of it" are not reason to kill anything.....and so it doesn't "get away is most certainly no reason take something's life!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Uhh ladyv wild or feral hogs are a non native and invasive species which have been known to have adverse effects on the native wildlife. The breed at an alarmingly fast rate as well. As a result many states, such as texas, have a no limit policy on wild hogs. As long as you have permission from the owner of the land you can kill as many as you want and fish and game feel you are ding them a favor. Many states are even considering placing a bounty on wild hogs in order to try and control populations.
www.invasivespecies.gov...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yeah I don't really support killing animals for anything but food, that or if they have to be put to sleep.
But I will quote peter griffin once more "Holy Crap". If thats real thats one big hog. Its huge. Whats that thing been eating.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Studying the photograph more closely, and accounting for the fact that the man in the picture is standing in a trench, I don't think that hog is really 12 feet long.

If it is, then the guy in the picture is probably about 7 or 8 feet tall. If you measure him, then measure the hog, he's about 2/3 as tall as the hog is long.

If we assume that the man is, in fact, not a giant, and call him, say, 6 feet tall, that makes the hog about 9 feet long.

As for the 1000 lbs, I'm not sure how they arrived at that without a scale, so it's probably a generous estimate.

So I suspect Hogzilla may not be quite as big as advertised, but still pretty darn big.

As for hunting them, it's worth bearing in mind that allowing human-introduced livestock to multiply without predators is a guaranteed way to wreck an ecosystem and wipe out large portions of other animal species in the process, before having the huge population of feral livestock themselves die off en masse due to disease and starvation in the end anyway.

If you haven't seen what a bunch of hungry hogs can do to a forest, think "lunar landscape" with trees, although as they got hungrier, they would probably start chewing the bark off the trees as well and end up killing them. They can and do dig up anything remotely edible, including roots, bulbs, etc., and will become less picky (they aren't very picky to begin with) about what they eat as they get hungrier.

Hogs will eat just about anything, including each other and humans as opportunity permits. Check geneological charts, especially in Europe, and you will find more than a few ancestors killed by wolves and wild boars. While many died hunting them, quite a few were killed merely for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially women and children.

These are not the kind of creatures you want to see running around the forest unchecked by predators.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This story is complete bull#.
If you compare the man, to the hog, it's NOT even close to twice as long, I would guess the animal is 8ft long stretched out.
But then again, rednecks will believe anything...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
As far as the guy not eating it its understandable he wouldnt. Boars are a lot different then the meat of a normal old pig and even the most redneck people i know wont eat it. The meat when its cooking smells worse then cat piss on the stove. When its done cooking it doesnt get any better. Recently a buddy of mine went to tennesse on a boar hunt and he wasnt aware of the whole taste issue , he had a cook out and invited several neighbors and in the end he ended up ordering pizza because no one could stomach the meat.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I second what Majic said above. I've seen a couple that tipped the scales at around 700lbs. That's about the size this one seems to be. Could be more or less. Hard to tell with the photo. But from the length of it my guess is its somewhere in that 500-700lb range. Still a dang big hog.

Regarding the other stuff. They are not native. They breed like crazy and destroy the landscape. I've seen big areas of forest look like someone went through with a plow. Basically anything a wild hog can get in its mouth it is apt to eat. Native animals are apt to go on a decline when hogs move in. They can also be agressive. My buddy and I happened upon 2 in the 300lb range. Both turned towarded and started to charge. My buddy got a quick shot off. He missed but the noise made them veer off.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

The picture is all Griffin has to back up his claims. He and Ken Holyoak, owner of the plantation, buried the beast on the property and did not want to hassle with slaughtering it since the meat of large feral hogs is typically not very good.

Holyoak said he decided that the hog's head also wasn't worth keeping because it was too large to mount on a wall. He said the head has the diameter of a tire on a compact car.

Didn't keep any, any, proof except a picture? I think, if it's even real, it's just a big pig, like the others have said.

Chi

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

But then again, rednecks will believe anything...

Uh, excuse me? We have a person here on this thread who is from around that area--chickenchecker0945. What do you mean by redneck? People who enjoy hunting? People from small towns? Because that would mean you are insulting 1) my uncle and cousins, who enjoy hunting, and 2) me, because I live in a small town.

Not to get touchy, but it's tough enough already being labled in the media without people here labeling too. Just because I'm Texan I guess I'm just an idiot who can only comprehend the words, "Ya'll," "Ain't," and "Howdy!"

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
An apt observation, and, I think, one worthy of its own thread. I've made a note to do an article on this when I return from my travels in late August.

I think it will be worthy of discussion this fall as bigotry directed toward George W. Bush on the basis of his being a Texas "cowboy" bubbles more openly into the political rancor.

The short version of this, which I would like to discuss in greater detail on another, dedicated thread (i.e., not "Hogzilla"), is that laws and culture have closed traditional outlets in America for bigotry on the basis of race and several other distinguishing attributes.

Enter the "Redneck", a composite stereotype embodying economic, educational, intellectual, cultural, moral and presumably genetic inferiority.

All stereotypes have a foundation in reality, and "rednecks" are no exception, but the essence of a stereotype is the exaggeration, distortion and fiction piled atop that foundation.

Currently, "rednecks" are socially acceptable targets for classic bigotry, in forms identical to racial bigotry in every respect except for the specific, interchangeable details.

It's an interesting phenomenon, and it seems people will always have a need for some sort of outlet for bigotry.

I'm sure it will make an interesting topic, if I can find the right forum for it.

But here, the topic is a large hog, not "rednecks".

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Hello all!

As i live so close to the area I decided to Investigate. Being as a work in the USDA and know alot of people from the area in question. Mr Ken is a buisnessman. People in my office know the man personally and he is discribed as a true buisnessman. His plantation gives costly hunting tickets to groups of bigwigs from FLA. It is documented that Hogs can get that big up to 1000 lbs but it is rare. It is the conclusion of the people in my office that this is nothing but a way to drum up extra buisness. While I do not know the men personally the people i have talked to have said that they are good ole boys and like to "cut it up"! Thats my answer and im sticking to it lol!

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm a little skeptical too. That they wouldn't keep the carcass is a little odd.

And while the picture doesn't look doctored, it would be a pretty easy thing to fake using forced perspective (the pig could be a few feet in front of the guy, forcing it to appear giant).

I don't know about you, but I would have wasted an entire roll of film or taken at least 80 pics with my digital camera if I ever happened across a beast like this.

So my vote is that it's faked, but I'm jaded.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I posted this first and they locked mine instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I posted this first and they locked mine instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herman,

Your thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com... which you started on 29-7-2004 at 11:51 AM. If you will look closely at the date of this thread, it is 28-7-2004 at 06:07 PM. This thread was started the day BEFORE you. That is why yours was locked.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
that's no 12 ft hog. Maybe 8 ft.

What a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join