It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comedy...what's the big deal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Comedy is an interesting subject, since it's the only artform that is frowned, or looked down upon as banal, or inappriopriate and the only artform people fairly regularly take offense to for some reason. The only artform where you have to get on a stage, so nobody will take offense. Which sais another thing entirely about people, but that's another story.
The question is why?
Comedy is the ONLY artform that initiates progression and breaking loose from authority based tradition and the instituionalized chains that keep us confined and that perpetuate conflict and mysery. Comedy instead binds us as it makes fun of exactly those mental blocks and highlights how moronic and inane they actually are and that there's nothing to fight about. It celebrates life and solidarity.
If you wrote a serious short-story, or poem about the holocaust it will generally be accepted, regardless if it's any good or not, if you wrote a story making fun of the holocaust you'd be met with shock and " you can't do that ". Why the hell not? What about riddles? It's just...stupid.
As George Carlin said: " I think any comedian, in some point in their life, has noticed that...something's wrong here...something's seriously wrong here folks and that's just the way they deal with it. "
I think people feel threatened by comedy/satire as it does exactly that...it challenges beliefs...it destroys the status quo just to show that there's nothing to it and simultaneously creates laughter, life you could say. It releases pressure. Unnecessary pressure. It points out the ugly truth that people spend avoiding, thus being outraged when someone picks up the sh!t they got hidden under the carpet and throws it in their face. People just don't want to learn. They want to stay plugged in to the Matrix and destroy each other. Safe and sound in their prejeduice and hatred. In their meaningless structure that satisfies their silly need to belief they have some kind of " power ", when they themselves know they don't have any, which highlights the main crux of the problem: Responsibility.
People will go through heaven and hell to not feel responsible for anything.
It's weakness that holds us back as a species. Simple as that...pure,uncut weakness.
Anyway...yeah...jokes is jokes, it's not what you say, but how and it what context you say it.
edit on 24-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Comedy is weird. I've been to some amateur standups that no matter how hard the comedian is trying to get people to laugh it's just not funny, in fact it gets to the point of seeming pathetic, and I feel sorry for the comedian. What's interesting is that anything can be laughed at. Anything can appear hilarious to anyone. A movie can be so bad it's funny. For example, in Black Swan when *Spoilers* Winona Ryder is in the hospital and starts stabbing her cheek, I found the whole situation so ridiculous that I started laughing in the theater. Others found it grotesque and distressing, but the fact of the matter is that I thought the film was rather funny throughout, and I wasn't the only one laughing either.

I also kind of understand what you mean by comedy being threatening. Whenever someone makes a joke or a laugh about a woman being raped by a man, I don't find it funny at all. I think it's really inappropriate and distressing that a person can be so unfeeling towards that woman, and laugh about it. I suppose they might be laughing at the situation, that mankind can be so #ed up to hurt someone so abusively that it almost seems unreal or ridiculous. I suppose that's related with how I laughed when Winona Ryder stabbed her own cheek because it was so ridiculous.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It's an interesting topic, however, you could probably have a whole college seminar on how people behave towards comedy.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Laughter tends to take away from the seriousness of a subject. Some subjects need to remain serious such as violent acts or child abuse. There is no place for humor in any regard whatsoever in cases like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Laughter tends to take away from the seriousness of a subject. Some subjects need to remain serious such as violent acts or child abuse. There is no place for humor in any regard whatsoever in cases like that.

Nonsense...of course you can laugh about it...just depends on what you joke about. Child abuse for example...there was an episode on some comedy show and the topic was about a woman in the papers who was raped by her father 40 years ago. One comedian said: " Well...if she can still remember and talk about it after 40 years it couldn't have been all that bad. " The joke/criticism here is, that the woman is just talking about it for attention and it's rather ridicilous after 40 years. Get on with it. Ya know? As long as the target of the joke is right and plausible you should just...laugh about it.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Yea some little 4 year old girl get's raped and murdered and you can find a joke in that. You are a very disturbed person.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

And violent acts...ever been in a bar and some drunk douchebags started beating the sh!t out of each other over nothing?...That's the funniest thing in the world to me. Cause you know somewhere in the back of their mind they think they're proving how manly they are to the girls,when in reality they're just showing what insecure morons they are.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Yea some little 4 year old girl get's raped and murdered and you can find a joke in that. You are a very disturbed person.

disturbed?...what's disturbed about telling a person who was molested to forget about it and live her life? That's healthy...see...that's what I mean.......you're the disturbed person my friend.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dude69

disturbed?...what's disturbed about telling a person who was molested to forget about it and live her life? That's healthy...see...that's what I mean.......

First of all you quoted my post but didn't respond to it and second of all telling a woman who was molested to forget about it and get on with her life is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not even gonna waste my time trying to explain this to you as I can see it's pointless.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

^^...so you're saying the opposite should be said to her?...To wallow in her mysery until she dies?...yeah...great.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I LIKE TO LAUGH. comedy puts things into real or relative terms. MY JOB...I help manage a national chain farm supply feed store.

My District Manager and Store Manager get all worked up about having certain displays up and moving things to maintain a "certain level of excitement" in the store... my response is...Its a Feed Store. Sometimes I am made "aware" that my appearance in dress code is not professional enough as I wear jeans....

All the while, the guy I just sold 2 gates to is wearing nothing... and I mean nothing but a pair of bibbed over-alls and work boots...laces not tied.

I think comedy exposes just how rediculous our perceptions of ourselves and the world really are. We recently had a store vist from the big boys...we brought in some help from other stores. One manager from another store was literally measuring the spacing between shelves and adjusting by mere half inches each one.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Yes I can...because it's nothing new...and what I'm laughing about is not that the girl got raped, that's disgusting, but that this human species that feels superior to animals has a number of guys in it that walk around that rape and kill 4 year old girls. Insects don't do that for christ's sake. If you don't see the unbelievable irony, well...then you're a moron.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Exactly!!!...thanks...exposes how ridicilous human perception of themselves are. Yup.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Yes I can...because it's nothing new...and what I'm laughing about is that this human species that feels superior to animals has a number of guys in it that walk around and kill 4 year old girls. Insects don't do that for christ's sake. If you don't see the irony in that it's not my problem.

Insects eat their young all the time. So do many mammals. There is no irony here just a sick fact of society.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Yes I can...because it's nothing new...and what I'm laughing about is that this human species that feels superior to animals has a number of guys in it that walk around and kill 4 year old girls. Insects don't do that for christ's sake. If you don't see the irony in that it's not my problem.

Insects eat their young all the time. So do many mammals. There is no irony here just a sick fact of society.

First of all...not one mammal or insect has ever raped their young ones...
second: How stupid are you?...cause mammals and insects eat their children it's ok for humans to do it?
third: We humans have the necessary intellect to reflect on what we're doing and realize how disgusting it is. Insects and mammals don't, yet we think we're superior.

...that's the definition of irony.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

disturbed?...what's disturbed about telling a person who was molested to forget about it and live her life? That's healthy...see...that's what I mean.......

First of all you quoted my post but didn't respond to it and second of all telling a woman who was molested to forget about it and get on with her life is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not even gonna waste my time trying to explain this to you as I can see it's pointless.

While I agree with the seriousness of the matter. I fail to see how dwelling on the matter for 40 years is helping reduce her suffering???

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Comedy's effect depends upon the audience watching. Sometimes I will encourage my parents to watch some of the comedy I find hilarious only to sit there with my dad going " I don't get it", "what's meant to be funny?". Then I will watch some of the comedy they enjoy and have a similar reaction.

I'm very rarely offended by comedy, something offensive in the right context delivered in the right way can be very funny. Yet my parents and many others would be unable to see the context and missinterpret to delivery.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Laughter is the best medicine

www.helpguide.org...

I love to laugh,to make others laugh,it just feels right.I don't go overthinking about it.It's just natural to me.Besides the most serious messages can be passed with humor and be accepted.

So my friends laugh like it's your last day on this planet.No matter what you will feel better

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Hahahaha hey dude your daughter was just killed by a drunk driver but let's laugh about it and you'll feel better.

yeah right

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Hahahaha hey dude your daughter was just killed by a drunk driver but let's laugh about it and you'll feel better.

yeah right

Well...yes, you can joke about it. Depends on what you joke about, or what your intention behind the joke is.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

I would actually like to hear a joke you would tell the father while telling him his daughter just died. What would it be.

"Well look at this way man at least you don't need to worry about her getting knocked up now"

really man your thinking is out of whack..i'm going to bed but hopefully someone on here can talk some sense into you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join