It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethiopian family of 12 get huge £1,500-a-week London home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

The couple and their TEN kids — believed to be asylum seekers who arrived in the UK just two months ago — are receiving a staggering £1,460-a-week in housing benefit from cash-strapped Tower Hamlets Council.

If they remain in the vast £5,800-a-month East End property for 12 months they will cost hardworking Brits a mammoth £76,000.

The astonishing cost to the taxpayers' purse emerged as the benefits bill for just ONE YEAR in Tower Hamlets - Britain's poorest borough - was revealed to have hit a giant £223MILLION.

City analysts said a family would normally need to take home around £230,000 a year before tax to afford to live in the plush pad — putting them in the nation's top one per cent of wage earners.

Our country just gets worse and deserves to go broke IMO after reading this. And at a time when drastic cuts are being made to public services.

If the local authorities cannot afford to pay these ridiculous 'telephone number' benefits then where is the money coming from? Why do councils put families in luxury homes which they nor the council can afford?

It makes me angry that our own sick and elderly citizens are dying from the cold in winter because they cannot afford to heat their homes, or even eat properly, and our own homeless people either stay on the streets or are put into hostels - but families like this one are immediately given luxury accommodation, and all for free.

No wonder everyone wants to come to the UK - and who can blame them? It must be like one big freebie luxury holiday.

Our country is down the pan for sure.

I give up.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Sun likes these stories

This is all thanks to Labour's policys before they left government & people are already thinking of getting them back in for the local elections. The current government have said they will be putting a stop to this; but its partly the conservatives fault for stopping new council housing during maggies last term.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Don't read The Sun.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Justice for the 96' YNWA.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
House them all in Buckingham palace.
Things would be put right in a matter of hours.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Whilst it is disheartening that the cost of giving asylum seekers a home is so high what would be the alternative? Split up a family? cramp them all into a 2 bedroom apartment where the living conditions would likely be worse than where they came from?. Granted there are problems with our system but chastising the family for the decisions of the housing authorities is not a solution to the issues.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The U.K. aren't the only ones experiencing this. Europe in general is, at least I know for a fact that Norway is. Norway keeps saying that it needs "immigrant labor", yet the immigrants they allow in don't want to work. I know several of them who are here for one reason: To get an education on the tax payers dime so they can move back to their country and live like a king. If it's not immigration, it's a permanent disability scam so they can move back to their country and live like a king. I mean this isn't a secret, I've openly asked several immigrants what they're doing on this side of the globe and they've openly told me.

We need to quit thinking that we're able to continue this, because we can't. Norway has already said a couple of times that they may very well just drop the permanent disability payouts for everyone because it's being abused.

But whatever, we'll probably end up nuking each other soon anyways right?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

it is SOOOOOO INFURIATING

At least RUSSIA is going about the birth rate problem the right way!! giving the money to its own citizens to have kids instead of some free loading outsiders..

Just look at all the cash spent on immigrants in europe, uk, and here in usa.. I SAY GIVE IT TO YOUR OWN PEOPLE!!
then those lower paying jobs wouldn't suck so bad cause the money that would have been spent on foreigners would be in the pocket of its own people.. AND without all the crapification of neighborhoods and the loss of language and culture in our own back yards!!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
What a great gesture of the UK government to house a family of people that are hunted down in their own country because of lack of democracy like in the UK. It must be a fantastic feeling if after a long period of terror, hunger and fear for your children and your wife, The great UK is giving your family shelter, protection and the opportunity to make something good of your life.

Every warchild deserve a big house in a rich neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred

Whilst it is disheartening that the cost of giving asylum seekers a home is so high what would be the alternative? Split up a family? cramp them all into a 2 bedroom apartment where the living conditions would likely be worse than where they came from?. Granted there are problems with our system but chastising the family for the decisions of the housing authorities is not a solution to the issues.

Alternative?

How about the local authority find the husband a job so he can make some sort of an effort to support his own family like the rest of us taxpaying brits have to?

He made 10 babies and he should do something towards supporting them.

Indeed I blame the authorities, they are the ones who are responsible - definately.

Like I said - this country is not only down the toilet, it's halfway round the u-bend.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahamarlin
What a great gesture of the UK government to house a family of people that are hunted down in their own country because of lack of democracy like in the UK. It must be a fantastic feeling if after a long period of terror, hunger and fear for your children and your wife, The great UK is giving your family shelter, protection and the opportunity to make something good of your life.

Every warchild deserve a big house in a rich neighborhood.

Yeh everyone come to the fab UK and it's all free.

Be quick though - giving it away fast so don't be last.
edit on 21-4-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join