It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief in Conspiracies Linked to Machiavellian Mindset

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Belief in Conspiracies Linked to Machiavellian Mindset

www.miller-mccune.com...

New research suggests people are more likely to endorse conspiracy theories if they would be willing to personally participate in such a conspiracy.

Know any conspiracy theorists? No doubt they’ve tried to convince you that man didn’t really land on the moon or President Obama was born in Kenya.

In fact, they were imparting genuinely interesting information — about themselves. New research suggests belief in such theories may reveal a Machiavellian mindset.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Apr 22 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Psychologists have found something though. So I dream of it as a ruler to cheat the citizenry for a higher purpose ... ok that is new to me .. did not know that I wanted and dreamed ... I actually have very different dreams .... the bourgeoisie fool I have not come across in my dreams ... tonight I'm starting right ... And so I have a low morale .. okay did not know I had a moral, thank you for telling me what I got ... And people with high morale are inherently fairer hahahaha .. oh I piss my pants with laughter .... So I'm also looking for a sense of security and predictability ... Still great that I do every day somewhere can read in the papers what I am, who I am and what I need :-)

We now know how the earth and the human being anyway. Much is a reflection of yourself ... So these studies do not really say much about the conspiracy theorists but the researchers (psychologists) itself. The researchers see themselves reflected in the survey ...

It's the world upside down all this information so you can just turn it over without doubt ... Bet that if you leave work, for the research by investigators themselves conspiracy theorists that you get very different results ... Truth is relative and refers to yourself. The values ​​can not be hung in the inquiry.

Apparently they want the conspiracy theorists again put in a bad light ... Well you know .. This research is a conspiracy I tell you ... :-)

(Search did not found any other exciting thread) I see minority report around the corner. You are wired like this sir. You must come with me. You are under arrest, for the wrong wiring. MK-Ultra for you

[url=http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture-society/belief-in-conspiracies-linked-to-machiavellian-mindset-30295/?UA-3354517-1]www.miller-mccune.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
found the article today.

20 april Dutch MSM

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Your link is not working.
Can you please try to fix it. The other guys link is in language I don't read.

Or maybe I do???

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudwatcher

www.miller-mccune.com]fix link

Mischien dat je dit begrijpt

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What a bunch of crap. Sounds like misinformation to me. Its too bad these pseudo doctors cant use their skills for something worth while in the world other than characterizing and judging people based on extremely small samplings and lumping everyone into that group. i think these quacks are the ones with low morality and have an inclination to participate in "conspiracy theories".

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Oh no, my belief in conspiracies links me with one of the greatest thinkers and philosophers in history who shared a similar mindset.

That sure has me feeling slighted.

Machiavelli’s thinking is highly prized by intelligence agents, those who often do conspire and carry out conspiracies.

I can’t really fault the article’s main premise, since honestly in my case I do love to plan and carry out a good conspiracy.

Interestingly enough typically against those who also love to plan and carry out a good conspiracy.

Maybe people of a non-conspiratorial nature should just try to stay out of the way?

Oh wait, that’s what the article is about.

Now speaking of conspiracies this is what was on CNN’s homepage this morning…

11 political myths and conspiracy theories that still persist

www.cnn.com...

So it kind of looks like there is a conspiracy going on today against conspiracy theorists when you combine with yet another article appearing to assail conspiracy theorists.

Based on CNN’s rhetoric in recent days and number 11 on the above list it looks like Donald Trump’s questioning of Obama’s Birth Certificate is causing some angst about conspiracy theorists in some circles.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You could assume we are all here in a condition of the 'Machiavellian Mindset' (2pac reference
?)

We are in danger. These studies are for future laws in the making. They always base laws on studies first.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
They are close in their headline, I prefer 'Belief in Conspiracies Linked to understanding the Machiavellian Mindset'. Humanity has many traits and just because someone understands these traits does not mean they participate in them. By questioning undergraduates most of these are still young and finding their way in society, I would expect slightly different results from an older population. For those who partake in conspiracies it does require a Machiavellian Mindset so there is a close connection but it has not been clearly expressed in this article. The way this research has been presented does come across as a conspiracy to discredit those who question. Maybe this his intentional propaganda, or maybe just naive ignorance. The conspiracy world is a dark and messy place with many conflicting stories, it takes time to work out which ones are right.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I find that a reasonable assessment actually

"takes one to know one"

If something is alien to you, then chances are, your going to have difficulty in even considering anyone doing it...however, something you could see yourself falling for or doing would be something you could easily believe someone in power would do.

This isn't really groundbreaking, or even suprising.

I believe in a extraterrestrial cover up operation

I also believe that if I was given access to be "in the know" under the condition of secrecy, well, I would in fact shut my mouth and learn something new...
Since I am not privvy to such information, I am grumpy about it and want it exposed.

I can also imagine that if I was some sort of shadow emperor of the world, and releasing of a massive technology would crumble the entire civilizations order, I might supress its full rollout until at least structure was in place to compensate, then a slow leak out to gently upgrade...etc
Since I am not in such a position, I am angry about it, and want to expose it...

I think this study is anything but new or groundbreaking...bit obvious really.
You speak about things you know.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Hey do some of the comments in the thread of All NWO Agents...hold some truth in it. Cause for a long time I got a feeling you know more

I also believe that if I was given access to be "in the know" under the condition of secrecy, well, I would in fact shut my mouth and learn something new... Since I am not privvy to such information, I am grumpy about it and want it exposed.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PjZ101

I knew a psychologist, and she had many issues when growing up hence the need to cure herself of her own major character flaws and problems, I have to agree with you in some of what you say.

All I see is many frauds regurgitating what someone else has previously stated and then some university sells it as a degree, a bit like the brains of the day saying the earth was flat and the sheep treating it as gospel, all I can say is think god out of existence and think for your self, self belief is a good thing, Don't get me wrong, a sounding board can be a good thing as good things go.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudwatcher

Here.... link

I found it a good article.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Thank you.
Yes, I understand this one.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Conspiracies should be linked to retardation.

Real rational decision and skepticism is atheism.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
really? So since I believe in certain conspiracies they are trying to say that I would actually participate in this $#!+.
This is wrong on so many levels. I refuse to be classed as a possible criminal just because of topics I research. This has got to be strait from a disinfo agents mouth. They (TPTB) are trying to classify us as dangerous people to the common public, and discredit us however they can.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudwatcher

Thank you.
Yes, I understand this one.

Gern geschehen huh? No I am Dutch
Are you?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I can also imagine that if I was some sort of shadow emperor of the world, and releasing of a massive technology would crumble the entire civilizations order, I might supress its full rollout until at least structure was in place to compensate, then a slow leak out to gently upgrade...etc

Since I am not in such a position, I am angry about it, and want to expose it...

Why is it people insist on second guessing me!

Your just jealous!

Note to self: Slow alien technology integration to snail's pace.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Historians misunderstand Machiavelli anyway. "The Prince" was written because he hated Lorenzo Medici, not because he liked him. In fact, he was decidedly anti-Medici, preferring a republic over a monarchy.

I read it in high school and again in college. I got that Machiavelli was writing one thing and saying something completely different.

In some literary circles it is seen as political satire.

Article on "The Prince"

Whether or not the word "satire" is the best choice, there is more general agreement that despite seeming to be written for someone wanting to be a monarch, and not the leader of a republic, the Prince can be read as deliberately emphasizing the benefits of free republics as opposed to monarchies.

In this light, Machiavelli himself was a conspiracy theorist. On the one hand seeming to "suck up" to those in power, while touting the republic throughout the book all along. There is even a belief that it was written as an insult to Lorenzo, but Lorenzo being so self-centered, took it as a compliment and used the methods touted in the book.

Psychology is a very subjective science. Maybe the researchers were projecting their own opinions on the material. They're only human after all. Two weeks from now another study will probably say the opposite and compare conspiracy theorists to __________. These studies tell us more about the mindset of the upper classes (the researchers) than the general public anyway, no matter what the subject matter is.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

...these studies do not really say much about the conspiracy theorists but the researchers (psychologists) itself. The researchers see themselves reflected in the survey ...

I agree. S&F&

As far as the idea that conspiracy theorists have a "more lax personal morality" - I'm the original "loose cannon" and it's all about having a really strict personal moral code. 'Course the rest of you might be different.

“These studies suggest that people who have more lax personal morality may endorse conspiracy theories to a greater extent because they are, on average, more willing to participate in the conspiracies themselves.”

...As has been pointed out - there seems to be a real campaign against "conspiracy theorists."

Why? Because we recognize we're being manipulated; we want the truth and to make our own fully informed decisions. Which scares the poop out of the truly Machiavellian manipulators.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join