It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BootUp; The Pirate Party of Canada fights Internet monitoring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Making headlines today, a Canadian company is fighting for internet freedom. In an article by the Edmonton Post they will be offering Virtual Private Networking accounts, what's more.. for every Canadian that buys a VPN account, one free account will be given to someone in another country:

It will provide a virtual private network, or VPN, service to Canadians. And, for every VPN account that Canadians buy, it will offer a free account to a person living in a country like Tunisia or China, where Internet access is restricted.

Can you imagine? With all this talk of big brother imposing more and more we have an option

A VPN account gives people a working Internet proxy, which encrypts and reroutes all the Internet traffic from their computer through a third party so that governments or hackers can’t get access.

So with VPN's, not even hackers can access your information? WHY didn't the governments think of this rather than entertain the idea of having us give them control over our privacy? On the heels of the announcement about the internet Indet Cards in the US, we now find that in Canada,

Paulson made the campaign promise in response to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s promise to roll all the Conservative crime bills into one and push them through Parliament within 90 days of getting a majority. Those bills include three that would require companies like Telus and Shaw to keep records of customers’ Internet and cellphone use for 90 days.

What ever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty? These days it's normal that things are the other way around... and

That’s unacceptable because we do need to have that respect for privacy unless there is a solid, legitimate reason why it should be violated.

You can check out The Pirate Party of Canada's website for those of you who are interested. Going to their site we find that they're actually running in the election! Here is the link to see where they have candidates running, and here you can find the press release regarding the private networking.

~Now if these people are the first I've heard of, perhaps there will be more. There is hope yet folks!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I'd vote for this party if they ran in my riding, but I don't think they are. (I live in Edmonton) I know that they have at least one candidate in Edmonton (I think the party founder) but it's halfway across the city from where I am.

I still have no idea who I am going to vote for; I don't like any of the major parties.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Well, the point of the matter is the VPN issue.. would be nice to see a political party like this, but the heart of my issue is the internet privacy thing. At least they have servers online and are implementing more to make this a public service... Oh happy Day

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

This is great news for Candians, for sure!

The government would never do anything that does not give them more power...

I am convince of that. Every move they make these days is about gaining more power over
the people to keep them in the dark, make life difficult, rob them of their hard earned money.

The Internet is a threat to all of them, and they will not stop the encroacment until its all controlled,
regulated, and censored.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Good luck on the Pirates:

Privacy is like Virginity: Once Given Away, It Can Never Be Recovered. Our Parents Gave Both Away, and Look at the Trouble We All Have Now.

I hope they open a US branch...
edit on 21-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 21-4-2011 by Invariance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
So with VPN's, not even hackers can access your information? WHY didn't the governments think of this rather than entertain the idea of having us give them control over our privacy?
My guess is, the government has already thought about this, such as establishing a company not traceable to the government, which will offer VPN services to the public for a fee.

the thought may be, that if someone feels they have something to hide, by using a VPN service, the government is going to be interested in knowing what that is. So the VPN will make your information inaccessible to anyone else, except the VPN provider, which may be secretly a government established company monitoring the information to find out what people are trying to hide?

Now whether they have done, or will do this, I have no idea, but I wouldn't rule it out.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Invariance
So with VPN's, not even hackers can access your information? WHY didn't the governments think of this rather than entertain the idea of having us give them control over our privacy?
My guess is, the government has already thought about this, such as establishing a company not traceable to the government, which will offer VPN services to the public for a fee.

the thought may be, that if someone feels they have something to hide, by using a VPN service, the government is going to be interested in knowing what that is. So the VPN will make your information inaccessible to anyone else, except the VPN provider, which may be secretly a government established company monitoring the information to find out what people are trying to hide?

Now whether they have done, or will do this, I have no idea, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Very clever, something I didn't think of.. OR perhaps they're just a bunch of techies tired of seeing the average user getting used by corporations etc...

new topics

top topics

join