It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone looked at the moon tonight?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
In 50+ years, I've never seen it this orange when it was this high in the sky (nowhere near the horizon). It's kinda freaking me out.
Please someone tell me that this is the result of all the volcanic eruptions in the past 6 months and that you have seen this before.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
all cloudy here in central ohio... we're supposed to get storms, so i can't see the moon at all

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
thick clouds here so no good

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Clouds here too.....plus a tornado warning (which happened right when I was getting ready to leave the house to get something to eat)...I've never been so tempted to risk my life for a cheeseburger before!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
My friend and I almost drove off the road last night watching it rise above the horizon in Idaho. It was the largest and most orange moon we have ever seen, very surreal.

link   
North Texas here, That is one freaky moon for sure.........

link   
I don't suppose you happened to add a photo?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
its an optical illusion, usual
moon looks bigger and orange

there is a thread about this every week

Edit: added simple search link: www.google.com...
edit on 20/4/2011 by Neoony because: search link

link   
it looked pretty damn white to me last night ??

link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
In 50+ years, I've never seen it this orange when it was this high in the sky

Dirty air for many reasons can cause this.
I've seen it due to fires and smog. But these are 'local' effects.
If it was volcanos it'd be very widespread. Like, many US states, half of Europe etc...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ahh Yes the wildfires here in Texas. Still looks wicked

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Strange its orange for you in Texas. I`m in Florida and it`s normal white looking here.

Ahh Yes the wildfires forgot my sister mentioning those to me going on in Texas. Good luck with that by the way.

edit on 4/20/2011 by Connman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

In 50+ years, I've never seen it this orange when it was this high in the sky (nowhere near the horizon). It's kinda freaking me out.
Please someone tell me that this is the result of all the volcanic eruptions in the past 6 months and that you have seen this before.

I am in Texas also, you are correct it does look different tonight. I suspect the smoke and dust in the air from the grass fires west of Fort Worth are the cause of the dark color and the overall dim appearence. The lower light level
reflected back to the ground observer seem to accentuate the shadows of the craters on the surface of the moon this evening.

Get out of your chair and go take a look.

edit on 20-4-2011 by whatwasthat because: spacing

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
DH is working on the photo (he takes them at night a lot) I failed. I forgot about the fires. I'm about 250-300 miles SE of there, but yes, maybe that. And it was really hazy here today.
I wasn't alarmed by it last night (& we've been admiring it for days), so I'm sure it was normal.

I wouldn't call it "blood red" by any stretch, but the only times I've seen it this color, it was just coming up.
It's not especially big- or not much bigger, if at all.

Thank You! for the link! I'll go look.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

Yes! Thank You!! It's getting a little lighter. (& to my fellow Texan, it does accentuate the features. lol Not sure I really like that color on it, if ya know what I mean)

Neoony, I know re weekly threads, but when we took the dogs out, I about got whiplash.

Hornbuckle & everyone in the line of fire, Stay safe!
edit on 20-4-2011 by DogsDogsDogs because: specific responses

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Here in California we get to see the orange tinted moon every year during wildfire season.

It's caused by the smoke, ash, and other pollutants released into the air during brush fires.

It is definitely surreal to see if you've never seen before, but other than the air quality not much to worry about.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I am seeing the orange too.
Idaho here and I would know as I acutely sit out in moonlight every single night for at least an hour.
I consider myself rather perceptive of the moon, although not as perceptive of nature as i could be.
--

I have been having the thought of whether or not the moons orbit has been off in some way - i.e. "Different than pre-recorded "norms".

The signs are everywhere - so what signs are you getting?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

In 50+ years, I've never seen it this orange

Props. I would imagine you've experienced some pretty [adjective] moons over time, no?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I noticed is was orange last night and I am in the southern UK...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Your not the only one to have noticed this. This video from Texas shows the reddest moon that I have ever seen.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join