It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Terminators: drone strikes prompt MoD to ponder ethics of killer robots.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

That is just it, we are all sitting comfy thinking we are untouchable. But it is right in front of us, they make no secret in their "recent" advances in AI. And when I say recent, the stuff they are showing us, is not really that recent. The real recent stuff they got in store will be frightening when unleashed and if it goes awry.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Dont worry we are very very very far from an actual A.I.

Computing progress has pretty much stopped. We're not doing anything new, only becoming more efficient in what we've done for awhile now. Chips are becoming smaller, cooler, etc, but aren't really jumping forward in technology. There's only so much you can pack onto a silicon chip and only so small you can make it, we're almost at that limit.

We'll need a breakthrough in Quantum computing or something similar before we can even begin to think that a true A.I. is possible, and that's at least 10 years away. And even then it will only be able to perform certain tasks and probably wont be as useful as our current computers for quite some time to come, let alone surpass them.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Rukas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rukas

Have you ever thought to wonder that perhaps all the cool innovations they have come up with have been hidden from the general public for good, and sinister reasons.

I personally believe there is much more technology out there than we are let known. Such as clean renewable energy, food for everyone, cure for diseases. I would not hold it past TPTB to hold anything from us that my benefit us just for their own profits and protection.

But you may be right, maybe we have hit the pinnacle of our advancement for the time being, but I don't exactly agree with that.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
They are already among us...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0313fe2c91cd.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ca4e7bc10c5.jpg[/atsimg]

Real Autonomous Terminator’s By 2020
The Defense Department is working on autonomous, self-governing armed robots designed to find and destroy targets completely on their own -- and the plan is to have them deployed by 2020.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6a309394adc.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6adea8426619.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebba6349c3c2.jpg[/atsimg]
Ethics of Military Robots February 10, 2010

Many people are timid when discussing military robots, and justifiably so. While most of the robots are meant to perform tasks that are simply too dull, dirty or dangerous to warrant the risk of human life (for instance, MULE robots or robots that dispose of IEDs), most of the mainstream media attention is geared towards the robots with guns. And that’s when the references to Skynet come rolling in.

And it's not just giant robots future combatants will have to worry about but creeping, crawling or flying Nano-Robots.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hey Slayer, thanks for the post

Interesting stuff indeed. I will need to look this up in more detail. I have seen some of these before, but many are new.

Star for you as almost always

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f21707aaac4a.jpeg[/atsimg]

"Sarah Connor?"

Couldn't resist!

Seriously though, you would have thought that they had got over this by now, considering the kind of stuff that they have in the pipeline.

images.gizmag.com...

Note the little beasties sat on the cliff!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Interesting graphics... May I please ask where they are from. Looks like some type of video game to me, please correct me if I am wrong. I would like to believe those were real, but looks too good to be true.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I have mixed reactions to this whole drone scenario. Truth is, there are good uses for them, yet we use them for some not so good things (opinions will differ).

I agree with you where there is a difference between military usage, and domestic use against our own civilians. Where will the line be drawn. Never mind we drew it but they still crossed it. Nothing we say matters. Just hope when these things are in full force flying above you in daytime view that you are not on their "hit list".

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

he he he...

What about robots that not only kill you but eat you for fuel?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3253d5cd170.jpg[/atsimg]
'The Matrix' Fulfilled: EATR Military Robots to Use Biomatter as Fuel

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), a research and development organization for the Department of Defense, aims to "maintain the technological superiority of the U.S military." It seeks to accomplish this goal by developing robots, lasers, spacecraft, and other awesome futuristic weapons of annihilation. It also apparently has no desire to heed the warnings of the 'Matrix' or 'Terminator' movies.

According to The Register, the group's latest design, the Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR), is a pilot-less, steam-powered drone. Designed for long-range missions, it refuels itself by devouring any fossil fuels or biological matter in its path. While DARPA mentions using refuse such as apple cores for fuel, it's difficult to imagine these things not being used to harvest people as an energy source.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

All I can say is ...hahahhaahhahhaha.

Thanks for the laugh!

Cheers.

Reminds me of a thread I started a while back....

Meat-Eating Furniture? Also a tool in insect control

edit on 19-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Soshh

Interesting graphics... May I please ask where they are from. Looks like some type of video game to me, please correct me if I am wrong. I would like to believe those were real, but looks too good to be true.

Yep, they are press releases sourced from BAE and MOD, to illustrate the intended end product of the Future Protected Vehicle and Novel Air Concept programmes.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

a monster robot using the fuel system from the doc's delorean, i kind of get the idea that all these scientists watch too many movies.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I know people will laugh but it's really in development.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Wheres John Conner when you need him??

ALS

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

It's all about dehumanizing humanity - starting with corporate "personhood" and moving on from there.

Check this out, Amazing Human-Like Robots...Creepy and Fascinating! *Video*.

S&F

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

It's all about dehumanizing humanity - starting with corporate "personhood" and moving on from there. Check this out, Amazing Human-Like Robots...Creepy and Fascinating! *Video*. S&F

Thanks for sharing. I bookmarked the link, and will check it out when I have time to read into it in more detail

I agree though. Dehumanization is happening in all places from the factory, to the military. Sometimes it is for the better sometimes for the worse. In the long run I imagine it will be for the worse. That is just my opinion though.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Thank you kindly for answering my question
, interesting indeed.

LOL sorry about that, had to edit, I meant to give you a thumbs up and accidentally put a thumbs down.

Looks like i need more green tea (caffeine) before I take off for class. Hope you didn't see that and get offended.

Cheers.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

For me personaly, its not about the technology itself, its the motivations behind those who control it. Much of the tec that goes in to killing machines has many civilian uses and it often does. So part of me thinks so what if military tech is 30, 40, 50 years ahead as long as the same principals eventualy get used in peaceful projects.

This is just a hunch, but im convinced in their attemts to come up with propulsion sytems, we've stumbled on ways to create free energy or at least a lot more efficient ways of using it. This wont come to light untill Oil has been exploited of course.

I guess only time will tell.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

I agree with your whole post.

The part that caught my eye the most is the motivation behind the technology. It sure isn't for the "better" of humanity that's for sure.

So much technology available that could be put to good use instead of evil or financial gain. Oh well, such is the world we live in.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I thank you all for your participation and contributions to my thread. I need to head out to class soon so I won't be able to respond until later this evening. I will have my Iphone with me so I can star any posts anyone might leave, and I will respond later on.

Have a great day folks, the weather is looking awesome out my way today, long overdue....

<< 1    3  4 >>

join