It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran: Dog Ownership to Be Outlawed Under Lawmakers' Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Iran: Dog Ownership to Be Outlawed Under Lawmakers' Plan

news.yahoo.com

Lawmakers in Tehran have recently proposed a bill in parliament that would criminalize dog ownership, formally enshrining its punishment within the country's Islamic penal code. The bill warns that that in addition to posing public health hazards, the popularity of dog ownership "also poses a cultural problem, a blind imitation of the vulgar culture of the West." The proposed legislation for the first time outlines specific punishments for "the walking and keeping" of "impure and dangerous animals," a definition that could feasibly include cats but for the time being seems targeted at d
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Not only are they making having a dog illegal, but also in the same article it mentions that it is against the law in Iran for Islamic men to have western-type hairstyles, and posters were put up depicting 5 or 6 of what Islam considers acceptable hairstyles for young Islamic men.

The keeping of a dog as a pet is considered 'depraved' and 'vulgar western culture', and is equal to 'wearing capri pants and sporting a mohawk haircut'. Islamic families have had their pets confiscated during crackdowns already, according to the article.

I dread to imagine how Islamic authorities dispose of the confiscated animals.

And then there's the 'criminal' dog owner to deal with, a fine they say. I wonder if the punishment will be more severe if the dog owner is female?

Criminalizing owning a dog and western hair cuts - it is too ridiculous for words.

Thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-4-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

It's only a proposed bill, not law..

There are many stupid bills posted even in the US that never make it to law for obvious reasons..

I'll comment on this one if and when it passes...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
While I agree totally

Is it any more stupid than many of the laws we have here in America? Forget drug laws, etc...........many towns outlaw certian breeds here too. At least they dont frame their tryanny as "Freedom". they are in your face with it.

Will humans grow to the point that we throw off the chains worldwide?

I doubt it

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
When you think about it, an HOA can do the same thing to pets any time it feels like. I have to agree that it's really one of those "out there" kind of ideas but hey, it's Iran, so they have some whack jobs in the governmant over there? Really? What country doesn't? But, the odds of it becoming a law? Probability says it will.We'll see.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Not good and totally stupid. When will we all stop treating everything else as lesser beings than ourselves and wake up to the fact that we were all put on this earth to SHARE and humans DON'T have any more rights than any other creature here. Hope the citizens protest against this absolute slaughter of man's best friend!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Think this through before reacting.
Do you know how many pets are disposed of in
western societies because of puppy mills etc. ?
Do you know how many pets are disposed of in western society
because of overcrowded adoption centers etc. ?
Pets are not meant to be disposable toys;
Islam does not permit pets to be used as exploitable toys, or to be
caged or sold as commonalities. Herding dogs, or
farm dogs, or other working animals are obliviously acceptable
in Islam, but as toys no. Just look at all pets that are disposed of in western societies and you can see that it is wrong.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Lawmakers have always hated dogs. Doesnt matter where or when or what excuses they use.

The state sees your dog as a weapon and it hates it. Even your wholly obnoxious lap dog.

Why do you think cops everywhere are killing them whenever they can? Why do you think municipalities require their registration and licensing?

To the state your pet is a weapon and it would rather you not have it.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
To the state your pet is a weapon

Hamsters, caged canaries, goldfish are weapon's ?
Truth is, the pet-trade is big business, and not much better than
human trade.

Caging animals, breeding pets for $, using them as exploitable
toys is morally wrong, and only
feeds into the massive pet-industry.
. . . don't get me wrong, I am saying this for the love of animals.
Please people, if you insist in getting a pet then
adopt one of the millions of homeless that are to be destroyed for
no other reason but
societies' convenience. And DON'T BREED pets.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

*Sighs*

Stupid religious lawmakers...send them to jail already.

First of all, these people are selling Iran out. They are destroying the culture and history from which Iran rose. Dogs were, in the old days of Iran, regarded as next-to-holy animals. Companions and friends of man.

The Islamic who invaded, stole parts of our culture and knowledge and claimed it as their own. The Islamic who systematically raped the Persian women...these are the people the government is supporting right now, because they too had in mind the destruction of Persian culture, history, tradition and ideas.

And that was just ONE argument looking at it from a cultural point of view.

Now lets look at it from a more business point of view.

Dogtaxes, dogproducts, trainingschools etc. etc.

What retarded lawmakers...

top topics

join