It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen to Fed/State Prison Inmates when SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

You probably can figure out why I am asking this question and there must be some logical answer right?
I've tried to look for one and I am coming up short.

I found one reply that seems to make sense but it is just some anonymous persons opinion:

Each state and every jail has a written set of disaster and emergency plans. Disasters are considered either acts of God such as hurricanes and floods or things like nearby toxic spills. Emergency plans are usually things like in a fire, a riot, hostage situation or similar event.
Each post worked generally has a set of post orders that the officer can refer to that gives him the protocol to follow. Generally the stages are alarm, isolate, defuse, and deactivate. This works pretty well when you have traditional seasoned officers.
That being said I would leave in a SHTF situation. Family comes first. It's a tough decision but my whole point of trying to survive is for my family.

In a major disaster where all infrastructure and systems fail are we all going to have to face this fact?
U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations - NYTimes

No alarms, guards, taxed police & fire agencies - this seems like a nightmare waiting to happen!
What is being done?
What could be done?

edit on 4/18/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
have you seen the last Resident Evil movie? in that,they figured that they needed all the help thy could get and realized that everyone has a right to fend for themselves...so thy let the inmates out...if and when TSHTF then I believe everyone will be urned into a criminal in order to survive...keep the sickos like rpists and petefiles in.they deserve to suffer,but others give em a chance because once it happens everyone is gonna basically be the same anyway...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I believe I read some where, that if this scenario were to play out, that the respective states national guard would take command.

The book: 63 documents the govt doesnt want you to know, by Jesse Ventura also addresses this issue. If I recall correctly, it was in the chapter about civil labor camps. It discusses that there is an official plan with regulations and directives in regard to prison systems for inmates as well as camps for the citizenry governed by the ARMY.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

looting,robbery,plundering,murder,rape on a massive scale

the worse possible nightmare that everyone will have it wont be localized at any one location it will spread out like a cancerous disease.

it will be bad bad bad news for us all

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If it is a local issue National guard would probably be sent to help the guards if needed.

If it was a REAL nation wide or world wide scenario I am sure the guards wouldn't stick around so I would guess one of two things would happen.

1. After abandoned the prisoners would die of dehydration and starvation.

2. Someone would release all the inmates out of pity, then the S will HTF again after the SHTF the first time.

Basically they will either be left where they are which is a death sentence or they will be let go.

There are only 2 options really.

Even if they are deserted many many will escape. Prisons and jails are built to keep people inside WITH constant supervision. Without guards watching you there are ways to escape given enough time.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have a friend in state prison.
Due to a situation that happened when he was 18, his two friends made a plea bargain(got ten years) saying he did something when he says he wasn't there(he got 25 to life) ..yada yada yada.

ANYWAY, in letters I wrote to him I asked him if something were to happen what would they do?
Do they have any kind of plans that they tell them about and do they inform them of stuff of this nature.

They declined my letter...Honestly all I was doing was joking around talking about something like what if aliens attacked earth/ or a zombie outbreak happened, really juvenile/oddball stuff we like to joke and talk about but I added in the serious but innocent question? The rest of the letter was me telling him the plot lines of the cartoon Adventure Time.
So I'm going to assume that question is what got the letter rejected as everything else was nonsense.

It was just kind of ridiculous to me, and makes me worry that if something does happen at one point or another are they just going to gas them all so they don't have to worry about the impact on the general public?

Anyway I'll end my rant.
Thanks for making this thread it will be helpful to see the information given.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

I'm really surprised I could not find any 'real' information about this, other then one system being replaced by another. It worries me because in times of stress like Katrina our government couldn't even help the living innocent people.

I think there is no major plan because they feel if something that bad happens, 'What will it matter'.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The only thing I can say are these 5 words:

"Oh well! What a loss..."

Rapists, murderers, drug addicts, repeat offenders who just don't get it the first time... Oh well, "act of god" got rid of them...

I'm surely not going to lose sleep over that...

Magnum

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Personally I think that it is fully dependent on the crime as opposed to it just being a prison. There are different prisons with different types of criminals. Am I worried that someone who got caught with a small amount of drugs on their person, and got sent to jail? Not really.

What I do worry about are the murders, rapists, and repeat offenders with lengthy violent records. IMHO the concern for any prison/jails, have to have a plan for what to do with those that are the most likely to immediately commit a violent crime, as opposed to someone who got caught with a bag of _____.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, I am a big fan of history. It always repeats itself and it is one thing that is always a constant in this crazy world we all share.

In a SHTF scenario the chances are Prisoners will be abandoned. Let to rot in their cells or escape if they can. The most recent examples of this I that I can prove are what happened during the revolts in Egypt and what happened during Hurricane Katrina.

In Egypt, several things happened. Prisoners were abandoned, some escaped, some were broken out of jail.
Source 1
Source2

Hurricane Katrina saw prisoners abandoned. According to Government Officials, there was no loss of life. However, there are over 500 prisoners unaccounted for, and the inmates have stories of seeing dead bodies. Many were abandoned in their cells with no way out. Locked down in a cell watching the water rise for days.
Source1
Source2
Source3

If history is to be our guide, I would think that in a true SHFT scenario that Prisoners would be left to fend for themselves.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007

Rapists, murderers, drug addicts, repeat offenders who just don't get it the first time... Oh well, "act of god" got rid of them...

Magnum

Read over the links I posted. Some of the people who were left in their cells to drown during Katrina were people who missed a court date, were late paying a fine, and people who the judge just wanted to teach a lesson to. Not exactly the menace to society that you would think of when you hear the word "prisoners"

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
In Stephen Kings book, The Stand.. after a deadly plague breaks out the guards either die or just do not show up to work. So the prisoners all starve to death or die from the plague themselves. This is something I see happening. The only guy set free is needed by the villian to help take over the world.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Magnum

In the US prison system, 88% of prisoners are convicted of non-violent crimes. 93% of prisoners are male. Most prisoners are in for drug related crimes. Still feel the same? For instance, my step son takes Concerta for his ADD. The school where he goes felt it necessary last year to do a drug test on the students, we live in a drug infested area and they were just fishing. My step son tested positive for Crystal Meth. We had to rush to the school with his prescription bottle before the police arrested him. Just one small example, friend. I had a friend lose his license for drunk driving after taking Vicks NyQuil.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
My dad worked for the prison system for many years before his death. I remember when I was a teenager asking my mom what they would do with the prisoners if we had a nuclear war or something really bad happened. She told me my dad would have to stay at the prison to keep things under control and if worse came to worse, rather then have maximum security inmates roaming the streets, the prison staff would be responsible for executing the bad ones that were a risk to society. It's kind of a grim thought, but I guess if I had to consider setting these people loose to reek havoc where there already is havoc, preying on others, it makes some sense. I'm not sure if this was a written protocol or just an understood necessity between men and women who deal with the savages daily. I'm sure by now, however, some human rights activists have decided that this would be too inhumane to the criminal if it was protocol. I just remember that it nearly killed me to think that my dad would most likely die there among them.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

She told me my dad would have to stay at the prison to keep things under control and if worse came to worse, rather then have maximum security inmates roaming the streets, the prison staff would be responsible for executing the bad ones that were a risk to society.

That's insanity, but somewhat believable! Sounds like a Judge Dredd scenario!

Who would decide what inmates are the worst or most violent? Dangerous precedent. . .
edit on 4/18/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Think about it....

It's almost to horrible to even contemplate.
edit on 18-4-2011 by whaaa because: chains or ivy

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Christ, imagine being in prison for something like having a bushel of pot in your trunk if the worst should happen?

It's easy enough to wish no release for the murderers and rapists but there are a lot of non-crime criminals locked up. Should they be rounded up like violent offenders or left to rot and starve in their cells because some prohibitionary society sent them up the river?

I'd hope that should the inevitable be seen coming down the road that these inmates would be released with all due haste.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Magnum

I can see why the police wouldnt want the people they framed, lied in court, planted drugs on, etc to be released.

Oh well....it wont be a big loss when those same inmates go after those that screwed them

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
IMO
the prisoners will get the same treatment
that the elderly got in the nursing homes
in New Orleans when the sea barriers
gave way during Katrina.

Some were euthanized by injections
and some left to drown/die.

just cuz SHTF doesn't give the guards
a release order for prisoners. If things
get back to normal, would you want
to be the one they prosecute for letting
out an entire prison population ???

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Wow.... WAY OFF BASE! It is totally not the same thing. You'd rather keep non violent criminals (in some cases) in prisons and let sickos like Charles Manson and the BTK killer run free. THESE GUYS KILLED FOR THE HECK OF IT..... I personally say leave all violent criminals locked in and shut away let the non violent criminals free like some minor drug offenses (pot, abusing over the counter drugs). Put as many as possible in isolation and leave them there. It sucks because some have conformed and dealt with their mental issues but that doesn't excuse what they've done.

NOW the difference, Everybody will certainly not be forced to become anything than what they are. Defending oneself and scavenging is not illegal and nor should it be in a post apocalyptic world. If I kill someone because I defended myself or my family then that doesn't make me a criminal, it makes me a hero. If I kill someone because I felt like I wanted their stuff then I'd be a criminal. BIIIIIGGGG DIFFERENCE.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join