It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice lightning

page: 1

join
share:
E_T

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
forums.dpreview.com...

At least lightning looks very much like in last year pic which was in newspapers and member magazine of Finland's astronomical association (with more data).
That was also taken from close hit to distance of about 10-15 meters.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Wow! Thats some serious lightning blasting through there!

Thought i'd add the image for people who dont click links! (you know who you are...)

Heh, thats what i get for linking it (too much traffic!)

[edit on 27-7-2004 by Calculon386]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Calculon386 your image says "Bandwidth Exceeded", so I will re-re-repost the image.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Great photo. I've always loved pictures of lightning. It makes it more real; normally it's juat a flash, you don't really get to see it.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Great picture. Thanks kinglizard for posting the photo

Lightning hit a tree 10 ft from my bedroom window three years ago. For whatever reason, I woke up just before it hit. I saw three balls of light and then three quick booms. The lightning travelled down the tree, blowing a 8 ft by 3 inch strip of bark off from the side of the tree. It also came out of one of the roots, which caused a bunch of dirt to be thrown away from the tree. We also had some electrical damage in the house (solenoid on the washer, ethernet card, lamp). The neighbors had their VCR go, and the neighbor on the other side had her phone and burglar alarm messed up.

E_T

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I didn't post that pic directly just because those "bandwidth Exceeded" "problems" which I noticed on posts in Dpreview forums.

Originally posted by DownValley
We also had some electrical damage in the house (solenoid on the washer, ethernet card, lamp).

Those are because of induction, high current of lightning (up to 200 kA) cause magnetic field which in turn induce current/voltage to wires which are "inside" it.
Especially LAN networks should be "vulnerable" to that... so if you're going to vacation and there's thunderstorm risk, not only take power cords from sockets but detach network wires also.

I'm just hoping I would even get change to try taking pictures of lightnings, thunderstorms at night would be especially good. So far area where I live has been lightning/thunderstorm -free zone at this summer.
But that front in Baltic countries looks promising, so hoping best, fearing worst.

If you're living in Europe you can use this to see where there's lightnings:
www.weatheronline.co.uk...
For whole Europe satellite pic use this:
www.vaski.net... (looks like Romania might get some "pounding")

Different wavelength pics can be found here, just use those links under "Kuvakoosteet" heading.:
www.vaski.net...

Just for bonus, you might like pics in there:
skydiary.com...
And in here:
www.extremeinstability.com...

PS. How do you recognise storm chasers in events?
When others looks mostly other peoples, storm chasers stare to sky much of time or check it every minute.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by E_T]

new topics

top topics

join