It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is France Plotting to Kill the Free Internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has a fairly tempestuous relationship with the Internet. He's the man who backed the controversial "Hadopi" laws that kick copyright infringers offline—the model for "three strikes" legislation around the planet.Sarkozy has proposed taxes on Internet use and has talked regularly about creating a "civilized" Internet. And now he's taking his campaign global.

Next month Sarkozy plans to bring politicians from around the G8—the economic forum France founded in the 1970s that includes the U.S., Japan, Russia, Germany, the U.K., Canada, and Italy (and, of course, France itself)—and get them in the same room as some of the technology industry's most powerful figures. Names on the guest list include Eric Schmidt of Google, Jack Ma of Alibaba, Jeff Bezos of Amazon, and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg. They'll be talking about the future of the Internet, and items up for discussion include copyright, piracy, privacy, security, and the cloud.

Source: www.businessweek.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

The globalist elite are willing to shut down the last remaining bastion of free speech, and that is the Free Internet.

Once they can shut down this Free Internet, they can replace it at will with their controlled Internet 2.

In this case, Internet 2 will only be accessible by your account, modeled on a TV subscription service. Access of unapproved content or any other unapproved action will see your Internet access account shut down at whim.

Now what medium are we going to be able to communicate once the Free Internet is gone? Homing pigeons?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Im amazed it hasnt been done already to be honest.
Its only a matter of time untill the govenment has camera's in our house's telling us what we can say to each other.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

France and nearly every other government and major corporation!

It really makes me laugh how the "Tin Foil Hat Brigade" of the conspiracy world think this is happening because its "the powers that be " trying to take away expression of opinion and take over the world etc etc etc hahahahahahahahahahaha! Many (not all) here are too blind see that the "Free" internet is taking profit away from big companies and government follows big business. Any attempt to take it over or destroy the "free" internet is all about restoring lost profits not world domination Hahahahahahahahaha!

it does not matter if many here on ATS do not like the messenger but it is true! Not saying I like it but it is the state of play! Read em and weep!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

This is very scary, imagine how isolated and alone everyone would feel if you couldnt freely communicate on the net........

Once they've done that the only option we will have is to take to the streets, under martial law, i dont suppose we'll stand much of a chance there.... Unless its the US and everyone has a Gun.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Is this for P2P things? I've heard recently of this 3 strikes logic -

It will not work, if it is this, without the help of YOUR ISP.

Many ISP's already follow on with infringement policy from third party orders, so will this affect the parties who currently say "GTFO" to said notices?

This will be a very interesting time.

I'll be honest, I download my TV shows that have already aired. I do so because the shows are NOT shown where I live, or are years off from being shown on some obscure foxtel channel which I do no subscribe to.

Let it also be known that there any many movies around who have thanked P2P technology for the spread of their work.

INK -

The film was widely circulated in Peer-to-Peer networks which led to its commercial success.

Man from Earth -

The movie gained recognition in part for being widely distributed through Internet peer-to-peer networks and its producer publicly thanked users of these networks for this.

Just to name 2 - both movies would be nothing short of word of mouth, IMO.

Not to mention bands who think the same, who know that the product is worth it. Sell a song, buy the sleeve - I know it's always been my concept.

FYI I contributed funds to INK because I think that is one of the best indie movies EVER MADE.

Ever

Damn great movie. for such a budget..

edit on 18/4/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanishr

This is very scary, imagine how isolated and alone everyone would feel if you couldnt freely communicate on the net........

Once they've done that the only option we will have is to take to the streets, under martial law, i dont suppose we'll stand much of a chance there.... Unless its the US and everyone has a Gun.

Not only that, think about the inability of businesses using the Internet to communicate with their customers?

Elite-controlled Internet 2 displacing the Free Internet would cause a cataclysmic effect on the business and financial world.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Smart Internet people were already ready ages ago before the Hadopi law cames out....

There are many many tricks to avoid it and, honestly, the only thing this law have done in France is to punish people who don't know how to use Internet... That's a shame....

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon

Elite-controlled Internet 2 displacing the Free Internet would cause a cataclysmic effect on the business and financial world.

Which is why TPTB will never allow it. No matter what impotent petty dictators like Sarkozy and his politician chummies might want.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

why on earth would somebody with a printing press need to make up for lost profits?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
reply to post by phatpackage

why on earth would somebody with a printing press need to make up for lost profits?

Yeah exactly ....... lol Rupert Murdoch owns many and he is leading the charge! I'm hearing you! Cheers

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
just try and imagine a government computer system telling a hacker he has been kicked offline because he received three strikes. It's quite funny how many different ways you can get around that.

They may be able to put a chip in our bodies but if they put a chip in our computers we'll just get a new computer.

top topics

join