It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best DVD ripping software?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Howdy ATS'ers,

I know there is probably far better "techy" forums I could post this on, but I figured I'd ask here anyways.

I recently purchased a 2tb ext. hdd for the purpose of backing up my DVD library, and playing through an xbox360 or ps3 (I have both) for the sake of convenience in this digital age we now live in.

My question to you ATS'ers, is what are some of the better softwares for ripping dvd's? It doesn't have to be free, as I'm not doing any thing illegal or making copies, but I do want to back my dvd's up with 1:1 quality, as 2tb should be sufficient space (if not, at least a sufficient start) and the ability to save in multiple formats, ie: divx, mp4, vob, mkv, etc.

So there's the question ATS, whats the best (free or pay) software for backing up dvd's?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Personally I use Handbrake, which open source, and about one of the best I've tried (Win box and Linux)

handbrake.fr...

Hope that adds one to your try list.

edit on 17/4/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
cdburnerxp.se...

CD burner XP

Its totally free and burns DVD and bluray I've used it for years, its a bit like open office www.openoffice.org... in that its made for the community and works perfectly!

It has all the usual stuff you would see in a paid product.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thanks for the response

Handbrake is a great software, as I have used it before, but with the way I understood to use it, a ripping program is first needed to actually get the dvd onto the hdd, and then use Handbrake to convert to whatever desired format.

I'm looking more for a full on turn-key software (like I said, I'm willing to pay) that can rip and format in one package.

I was checking out DVDFab and WinxDVD, but I really want some more suggestions before I commit to any one thing.

Thanks again for the help though, if nothing pans out, I will be sticking with Handbrake for sure

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Haven't heard of those before, so I will be checking it out.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Open office is basically a free version of Microsoft office, it has excel sheets, word document's, graphs and all the stuff you see in the expensive Microsoft products, I use it all the time...

www.openoffice.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
DVD Fab is my Favorite .. Or Audials one it doesnt rip it Mirrors the image off of your screen .. 100% legal but takes more time cause you have to play the entire show..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I use Handbrake to rip the DVDs onto my NAS... (I used to use DVD::Rip but Handbrake is better)
and as yet not come across any encryption issues when backing up my DVDs.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
handbrake is good.
dvd santa is a great dvd burning program / dvd encoder.

nice thing about dvd santa is that it will let you cram extra video time on the dvd by sacrificing quality.
i put 10 episodes of dora on 1 dvd for my kids. 4.7gb dvd disc is only 2 hours of dvd video btw.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I have the perfect answer for you I promise that you will not be disappointed.

I SWEAR and promise take this seriously.

I too have searched over the last 6 years to answer this very question. I have run a computer repair shop for 8 Years and have extensive experience for anyone who might need computer help.

100s of different solutions and none succumbed to my expectations. Until one day I stumbled across a TINY program called Magic DVD ripper. This program is by FAR the best ripper software I have ever encountered. you will need a DVD decryption software package for the tough encryption of course. Like Anydvd. (however it will decode most DVDs without the help of decryption software)

This program Beats all others in terms of quality.
From your OP I understand that you wanted to perform 1:1 DVD backups for replay from file on your 360 or PS3.

what makes this program so special is the fact that it has the option for a loss less backup of the movie that's on the disk Encoded Into MPEG2 at the source bit-rate and resolution all of which shaves off a good 4 Gigs from your standard dual layer release.

So you end up with an exact copy of your movie selected by title and placed in the folder of your choice @around 4.5 GB.

Now that you understand the kind of space required for an average DVD you should know the SUPREME reason I have chosen this software over any other.... DUN DUN DUN

SPEED. This is the fastest DVD software I have ever encountered when used in the way I have just described.
Since you are performing an original source rip ("ORIGINAL MPEG2" Setting) there is very little need for conversion aside from the actual reduction in overall size.

So what does this mean?

This means;

Full DVD 100% quality rips in less than 7.5 Minutes.(All of my rips have been under this time) Ready to watch.

I also really want to know what you think about this because I was so impressed the first time I used this given it is actually a very UGLY beige/pink program, looks can be deceiving

edit on 17-4-2011 by reedbananaboat because: Punctuation,Spelling,Clarification. Hindsight= 20/20

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
After 11 years of making backups of my movies, I found AnyDVD from Slysoft for the copy protection remover.
There is a free copy protection remover called DVD43 www.dvd43.com...

The best soft ware product I've found for copies is 1Click DVD copy. www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com...

I can copy a movie to an other DVD in about 14 to 20 minutes or I can burn to my HD in less than 7 minutes.
But it's up to you, as long as their your DVD's you can make as many backup copies as you want, just don't sell them.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great replies everybody!

I have quite a list of software to go through (thanks again everybody
), so it may take me while to go through it all, but when I pick one out, I'll post back here and let ya know which one.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I hope it works out for ya, I'm still interested in finding out which one did the best job in the least amount of time. hope to hear back here from ya soon

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Every vendor or affiliater are boasting how good its dvd ripper is! But a Good DVD ripping software will fulfill a handful of useful functions. And it must be easy to use, provide a straightforward interface and convert a number of video formats. So i hope people who want to buy a DVD Ripping Software must see some impersonal reviews and test it carefully, Dont be deluded!
edit on 13-10-2011 by andyliu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by andyliu
Every vendor or affiliater are boasting how good its dvd ripper is! But a Good DVD ripping software will fulfill a handful of useful functions. And it must be easy to use, provide a straightforward interface and convert a number of video formats. So i hope people who want to buy a DVD Ripping Software must see some impersonal reviews and test it carefully, Dont be deluded!
edit on 13-10-2011 by andyliu because: (no reason given)

I agree with you. It is essential to Compare different products, read any disclosures carefully, and look for non-biased reviews (Review Comparisons of 5 Best DVD Ripper) on the products to decide on the right product for yourself.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
DVDFab is by far the best.

2nd

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Thanks again for the continued contribution. Unfortunately, I had a lot of things in my personal life come up this year, and digitizing my movie collection become a bottom priority.

I will be doing it soon hopefully, so thanks again, as this thread will be great for reference!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
i suggest you a prefect DVD ripper named Leawo dvd ripper
edit on 23-4-2012 by amy0324 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Personally I use Handbrake, which open source, and about one of the best I've tried (Win box and Linux)

handbrake.fr...

Hope that adds one to your try list.

edit on 17/4/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

To be honest, Handbrake is quite great for ripping DVDs. However, its weak point is that it cannot rip DVD with copy protection. personally, u could try DVD Ripper. It not only covers the functions of Handbrake well but also can make up for its shortcoming. In my opinion, it is at least one of the best apps ive use. here is a guide about how to: www.ilikemall.com...
Hope it works for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join