It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I was looking for more information on where the comet ELEin was at until I came across this weird arrangement. Can anyone tell me what this is?
edit on 17-4-2011 by FreedomCommander because: incorrect syntax

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

This is what Google has to show for the comet, a black patch.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Wow - you should have warned folks that was a download and not an image. Sorry but I don't know the site and won't be touching it.

Oz

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ozscot

Wow - you should have warned folks that was a download and not an image. Sorry but I don't know the site and won't be touching it.

Oz

sorry I should of said that I don't know any good sites that would post it, beside this was something I just found. I'll repost the images.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
why not use tinypic or something for your images? unless youre trynna make money off subscription sales to megaupload. if so, nice try.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
If you can see it, download it and upload it to the ATS image site so we all can see.

I also don't just download anything prompted for me to download I can't see. Thanks, but I won't volunteer.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
honestly they are just PNG' files. you can't embed anything harmful in them so downloading is actually very harmeless. Just playing devils advocate here.
edit on 17-4-2011 by jidnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Sorry for the wait. I have uploaded the pictures. Take a look at them.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Oh my God !!!!!!!!!

There's a HUGE big rectangular blank spot in space. Is it a giant angular spacecraft blocking the stars behind it ?????

Oh my God, RUN FOR THE HILLS......

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
Oh my God !!!!!!!!!

There's a HUGE big rectangular blank spot in space. Is it a giant angular spacecraft blocking the stars behind it ?????

Oh my God, RUN FOR THE HILLS......

I'm just asking does anyone know what it is? I'm not saying it a long-range death ray, however what ever it is, doesn't seem to fit.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Heh...
Maybe Kubrick nailed it after all.

edit on 17-4-2011 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Heh...
Maybe Kubrick nailed it after all.

edit on 17-4-2011 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry, what does this have to do with finding an answer to what that irregular star arrangement is?
edit on 17-4-2011 by FreedomCommander because: incomplete

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
THe Giant Obelisk is exactly like the black hole in the picture.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomCommander

I was looking for more information on where the comet ELEin was at until I came across this weird arrangement. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Possibly a lens flare caused by the blue star to the right. Note the cross visible on the star.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiTS1965

Possibly a lens flare caused by the blue star to the right. Note the cross visible on the star.

Are you sure about that? Because I have my fair share of what a lens flare looks like and that doesn't look like a lens flare. It might be a tightly clustered star field that is abnormal, not only that, there are layers on it, which I find odd. Usually flares are fully circularness and layers are on the inside, this one is cross-like and has layers on the outside.
However, I might as well write it off as something that was there, probably a bright star or a large planet that was there. And now maybe a black hole or some other thing that can make that shape.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
this was posted already and someone said you need a patch for that program because some parts are like that but when you get it, it just show stars and nothing else, wich is weird because i don't know if you have to see elenin by now.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The first picture looks like the secondary mirror housing is showing for whatever reason.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

For some reason, I couldn't see what you were driving at, so I went to your coordinates at Google-Sky and there it was. Go figure.

Anyway, MiTS1965 & pazcat called it. It's a lens flare that's showing the shadow of the secondary mirror mount. Normally you wouldn't get that, but they were using a long expossure to reveal the faint stars, and the bright star Capella was nearby, so it kind of mucked things up. Cool though.

Good find & good question.

Google-Sky is not a good tool for searching for ephemeral object like comets. It's actually a mosaic of sky-survey photos, and some of them are decades old. There's nothing wrong with this, because the stars don't move much. However, looking on Google-Sky (or Sky-Map, which I prefer) for an object that's "just passing through" is kind of like looking at Google-Earth to see a parade.

Try doing a Google Image Search for "amateur astrophotography elenin" and you'll get some recent photos. It's still pretty faint. It is, despite inexplicable web-hysteria, a very ordinary small comet.

(Edited to add) This thread has good links to recent Elenin photos.

P.S. I was kind of hard on you in another thread. On this thread, I see you're making open minded inquiries and trying to find reliable souces of information & research. Keep doing that! Good Hunting!!!
edit on 17-4-2011 by Saint Exupery because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
The first picture looks like the secondary mirror housing is showing for whatever reason.

Yeap, and for the OP, here is where they show and explain other data problems

bbs.keyhole.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Oops, sorry. I forgot about the structure of the telescope and that it has a sort of quad-truss that supports it and sometimes gets in the way of the view.

Thanks for clarifying!

new topics

top topics

join