It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every human language evolved from 'single prehistoric African mother tongue

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Every human language evolved from 'single prehistoric African mother tongue

www.dailymail.c o.uk

Every language in the world - from English to Mandarin - evolved from a prehistoric 'mother tongue' first spoken in Africa tens of thousands of years ago, a new study reveals.

After analysing more than 500 languages, Dr Quentin Atkinson found compelling evidence that they can be traced back to a long-forgotten dialect spoken by our Stone Age ancestors.

The findings don't just pinpoint the origin of language to Africa - they also show that speech evolved at least 100,000 years ago, far earli
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Well i dont really have much to say about this except i find it VERY interesting, so apparently 100k years ago we all spoke the same language..... so could it be that sometime since then something happened to the human race that changed us forever? gave us our own unique languages which has evolved from one super language (mother language)

100k years is also a F****** long time

www.dailymail.c o.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

We started wandering around this planet?...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Why hasn't there way of life evolved? The people that live in Africa, have they always been there or? Why haven't the progressed in way of technology...please explain.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
very long time ago! Maybe there were other languages back then in Africa but it was the group that got out of africa that spread their language around the world and others died out. But I thought I read that there was more than one migration out of africa?

I would of thought that the beginning of language would be the beginning of civilization but there seems to be a large gap inbetween?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Uh, no they didn't. They're not even human in base.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
Why hasn't there way of life evolved? The people that live in Africa, have they always been there or? Why haven't the progressed in way of technology...please explain.

Im just posting the news, your talking thousands of years, a lot can happen in that time, anything is possible, we just dont know and probably never will.... except now we do know there was one master language at the start, whats happened throughout history and why the africans have not progressed technologically is another story

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I say BULL#
all Latin based languages + Ancient Egyptian and Greek can be traced back to Sanskrit

Forget this whole "man came out of Africa,,we came from monkeys" BS disinformation
there is far more proof that man came out of the Subcontinent (India) - I'm not gonna hijack the thread with that topic tho .. so go google it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RADHESYAM
I say BULL#
all Latin based languages + Ancient Egyptian and Greek can be traced back to Sanskrit

Forget this whole "man came out of Africa,,we came from monkeys" BS disinformation
there is far more proof that man came out of the Subcontinent (India) - I'm not gonna hijack the thread with that topic tho .. so go google it.

Please post this proof you talk of
please no blogging websites.

The earliest form of Sanskrit language was Vedic Sanskrit that came approximately around 1500-200 B.C.

That is a young language, only around 4000 years ago... we are taking 100,000 years

edit on 16-4-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Anyone who's had an interest in etymology and has always been fascinated by word origins in various languages, knows this really...

So many words, letters even, are from a single word/letter that has common historical use.

How many people even consider the most obvious one in English - the letter W. Double U (UU), which when precedes a vowel has a soft breathy V sound, that we call W.

It's actually a fascinating thing to read about how our language has evolved from other languages, which themselves are rooted in other languages - it's inevitable that since certain words around the world have similar sounds for similar meanings, they originated from a single common language or set of languages used in an area.

You'd be surprised to know that English has a lot of words we use commonly that originated in Arabic.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

there are many reasons for this... alot has to do with the lack of natural resources in africa that were available in europe and other parts of the world at the time. as i said before there are many reasons, if you do a little research and look at the history of our and many other civilizations you will understand why...
anyway the indiginous people of the world are the ones who live as nature intended, they live of the land and respect the earth and nature.. not like us that destroy everything in our path...

and to the op... of course we would have had a master language, thats pretty obvious. if the theory of evoloution is to be believed, then early humans would have had to communicate with each other, before they started spreading across the planet.. this probably changed to dialects as they progressed further evolving into to completely separate languages as we moved futher away..
edit on 16/4/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

they live of the land and respect the earth and nature.. not like us that destroy everything in our path...

Not a wiser word, we as a human race are so selfish and ignorant, careless of what we do, we only think about ourselves and what we can gain, even if it means killing and setroying everything, very sad indeed.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Isn't it funny how today there are so many languages and dialects to divide and separate us compared to times past such as when this "single prehistoric African mother tongue" was mainstream? Language can present many barriers between two people of different demographics from communicating about the most basic of ideas.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I was looking for the Chinese word for tower ..from what I can remember its pictorial ..grass= straw ,-clay-and 1 tongue or one mouth , language....their language depicts Babel of bible fame..straw and clay to make the bricks for the tower I guess .
this link gives a bit of the Etymology. www.raccoonbend.com...

this is intresting ...In a trivial sense it may be argued that there is a creative element in understanding as well as in speaking, if indeed the “matching” theories are correct. Some linguists have argued for an internal generation of speech to match incoming signals as part of the process of understanding. This would explain why Lashley, as far back as 1951, performed a linguistic experiment on his audience at a conference. To make this experiment work for the reader I have had to misspell the second word, to give something like the effect of “hearing” the following sentence read out, roughly as Lashley read it out from a novel:32

“Rapid riting with his left hand proved difficult, but successful in saving from further damage the fixtures in the capsized canoe.”33

Lashley’s audience wrote it down as “writing”, and then by the end of the sentence something “clicked” and they had to delete this and substitute “righting”. This, according to Chomsky, showed that the understanding of language is not merely a mechanical linear process but has a re-creative element sometimes brought into play even when the language has been fully “learnt”.

If creativity is involved in understanding as much as in the production of language, this helps us to accept the fact that we understand more than we can produce. In both first and second language learning it is clear that in exchanges we understand more than we produce, even in the matter of learning new sounds. source creation.com...

your post got me thinking and looking ,thanks and ,peace

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Heres another source

www.telegraph.co.uk...
sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4da8f43d0b6e77de,0

Using sophisticated analysis of hundreds of languages, the researchers have managed to trace back their beginnings to the same place and the same time.

They now believe that language may have been one of the "tools" that boosted humanity and led to the colonisation of the whole planet.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

there are many reasons for this... alot has to do with the lack of natural resources in africa that were available in europe and other parts of the world at the time. as i said before there are many reasons, if you do a little research and look at the history of our and many other civilizations you will understand why...
anyway the indiginous people of the world are the ones who live as nature intended, they live of the land and respect the earth and nature.. not like us that destroy everything in our path...

and to the op... of course we would have had a master language, thats pretty obvious. if the theory of evoloution is to be believed, then early humans would have had to communicate with each other, before they started spreading across the planet.. this probably changed to dialects as they progressed further evolving into to completely separate languages as we moved futher away..
edit on 16/4/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

another reason is the weather and demographic of the region...people in colder regions had to get crafty to survive...people in dry sand regions had to get crafty in order to survive... yadayada...a truckload of reasons.
edit on 16-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
another reason is the weather and region...people in colder regions had to get crafty to survive...people in sand-regions had to get crafty in order to survive sand-storms yadayada
but seeing as we went over to Africa and enslaved them and stole their resources it's up for discussion who the more evolved people are : P

as i said.. many reasons, it would take pages of text to explain it all.. but your correct the climate and weather played a major part.. alot of africa is dry and arid, and europeans had a more wet and seasonal climate.. which allowed us to add farming to hunting as a resource for food. we also had forests for wood rescources and animals that could be domesticated for food.. and of course an abundance of fresh water which was vital..
the rescources your talking about us raping africa and other parts of the world for came into use far later in our evoloution, we are talking about the earliest civilizations.. gold, precious metals, precious gems, oil etc would have been of little use to these early settlers, we had to evolve to put these things into use.. were talking thousands of years here..

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

If the oldest human skeleton came from Africa I'd agree with you but since the oldest was never discovered in Africa therefore history is already being rewritten.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Itop1

If the oldest human skeleton came from Africa I'd agree with you but since the oldest was never discovered in Africa therefore history is already being rewritten.

EDIT:

Since when has ethiopia not been in africa?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This whole ridiculous theory of total human african migration followed by some type of odd darwinian quintuple racial mutation has to be about as ludicrous as global warming.

This African migration theory has become the new "It" theory, these lazy people just can't think for themselves anymore and just theorize based off the last guys theory....

This is not how language evolved, language is part of our species.

I might add the main problem these days is that all these goofs basically consider Darwin's theories to be fact, when in reality, he was wrong.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join