It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make me a believe please.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Recently my wife has been going to church.
got saved ...now going to get baptized.

I want to believe in a higher power such as god jesus ect...
I just feel for a lack of a better word retarded praying to something i do not know if it exists or not.

Its like the guy down the street and his wife everyone in my small town makes fun of them cause they worship the sun.
But at least they know the sun is real.
so i never got why they make fun of them.

But my wife begs me every Wednesday and Sunday to go to church. i just cant do it.
Heck they pay there preacher money to preach to them.
Just seems wrong to me.
If he truly thought he was doing gods work..why do you have to pay him ?

But it is starting to cause a drain on my marriage cause apparently the preacher has it in her head i am a sinner for not believing.
But i dont want to go just to save my marriage..forced...you know. it isnt right.

But if you can give me logical proof as to why god exist's you very well may save my marriage.

thanks for any and all honest reply's
edit on 16-4-2011 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Sorry to hear of your situation. I was always much like you. Didnt really believe in god per-se and definitely wasnt into religion. Upon growing older and wiser and learning of the corruption in this world my mind has changed. I think of it like this basically, if the "elite" are into this devil worshiping, lucifer worshiping, or what have-you then there must be a "god"or "creator" of some sort. Religion like every other thing in life has been infiltrated and corrupted but still is meant to be good. Going to church should not be too harmful maybe just go once a week or something. Good Luck all i can tell you is that there is something behind this madness have faith.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Well first off, don't get sucked into "religion". I believe in God 100%, but there is something wrong with many of the "religions" today. God and Jesus themselves hate religion, it's that whole "You have to do this, to get that" attitude.

As for making you a believer.. No one can do that. It isn't up to us. You have your own free will and can choose to believe whatever you believe in. The pastor, hopefully, isn't that aggressive when he speaks about you.. what kind of church is it?

Either way, I guess the only thing I can do is explain to you what believing in God means to me, personally. "Proof" is a hard thing to, well, prove. I don't have physical evidence of what God is, unless you count the entire Universe as proof of his works, but most Christians go by faith alone and I'm a much more.. practical man, in that I want to bridge any gap there is between Science and Creation.

So, to me, there are dozens of personal reasons a God exists. Sometimes I have doubts, but then I think of this one situation that many of my family members and myself have lived through.. and that is seeing Demons. My father personally aided in an Exorcism, and seen one for himself (which is a long story, but that's the night he got saved. It was interesting to note that another family member saw the same demon, that is, long flowing black hair, tall figure, and they didn't tell each other, but told another family member, who confirmed they both saw the same thing).

I tell myself.. if there are Demons, surely there is a God. That is just one reason out of many.

Again, none of us can make you believe in God. That's your choice alone. What I do recommend though is going to church with your wife, if for the sole reason because she asked you to go. Maybe you'll hear something that speaks to you.. who knows.

Hope your marriage works out though, brother.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The One True God is an everlasting creator. He is without beginning or end. We have trouble with that concept because our material minds cannot wrap around the idea of an immaterial everlasting being.

Some of the people on Earth are called by God to be believers. They know Him and respond to Him. The others, many of whom you will see on this forum, will not.

The original Apostles were instructed to preach the word, to gather in His sheep. Some of the words fell on deaf ears, even as they do today. Do not worry, my friend. The ones who need to hear His voice and words are hearing it loud and clear.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I think, rather than trying to convert yourself, you should reflect on the psychological forces at play here. Why do you think your wife has recently turned to religion? Why now? What did she believe before this? Has anything happened in your lives recently that may have caused her to seek out religion?

I'm not saying that this is the issue, I'm merely stating what I've sometimes observed, but often it seems that people use religion as a sort of coping mechanism.

For example, someone who feels guilty for something that they have done may feel a need for forgiveness, which religion provides. Someone who has lost someone very close to them may seek solace or comfort, which religion provides. Someone who feels worthless or insignificant may want to believe and be a part of something bigger than himself, which religion provides. Someone who feels lost may turn to religion because they offer the opportunity to be saved.

Not sure if this will help or not, or whether it's even relevant, but I think if something indeed has happened that triggered this change, then perhaps if you were able to get things back to the way they were, or resolve the underlying issue, she would no longer need religion.

Nonetheless, there hasn't been any logical proof of a god for thousands of years, so I wouldn't pin your hopes on someone actually being able to convince you. At best, out of your desire to be convinced, you might unconsciously allow yourself to be deceived by some specious argument, but even if you do at some point claim that you have been converted, deep down it will taste a lie, and the artificiality of it all will grow to be unbearable.

So ultimately, I don't think trying to convince yourself of the existence of god and the absurdities of religion is the best solution.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
You dont need any organised religion to believe in God, most of them are corrupt money making organisation's.
What you would be better of doing is learning meditaion and understanding that the kingdom of god is within
you. You do not need anyone to intervene between you and god, you are as close to the eternal spirit as anyone
Meditate and follow your own intuition and heart, dont listen to anyone that may call you a sinner it's a control
mechanism.

The Vedanta recognizes no sin it only recognizes error. And the greatest error, says the Vedanta is to say that you are weak, that you are a sinner, a miserable creature, and that you have no power and you cannot do this and that.
Swami Vivekananda

Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin; to say that you are weak, or others are weak.
Swami Vivekananda

I was supremely happy, for I had seen. Nothing could ever be the same. I have drunk of the clear and pure waters at the source of the fountain of life and my thirst was appeased. Nevermore could I be thirsty. Never more could I be in darkness; I have seen the Light, I have touched compassion which heals all sorrow and suffering; it is not for myself, but for the world. I have stood on the mountain top and gazed at the mighty Beings. I have seen the glorious and healing Light. The fountain of Truth has been revealed to me and the darkness has been dispersed, Love in all its glory has intoxicated my heart; my heart can never be closed. I have drunk of the fountain of Joy and eternal Beauty. I am God-intoxicated.
Krishnamurti

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I'd like to get your opinion on the OP. See what you think.