It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does everyone feel this way about kids?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You know, on ATS I always see people hating on kids because they're ignorant and even because of what music they listen to. People get outraged about racism and generalizations of groups of people, but when it comes to kids no one could care less. I mean, racism is a more important matter but come on. I'm in 8th grade and my spelling and grammar is better than half of the posts I see on here. As for the music we listen to, I agree a lot of kids listen to total crap, but give some "real" music a chance. Like Sage Francis, B. Dolan, Buck 65, Brother Ali, Saul Williams. All of those artists present their music like poetry and rap about important issues. B. Dolan even has a song called "the reptilian agenda" which I know you ATS nutters out there would like. I'm going to post some songs but I don't know how to embed. Just give them a listen.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by StopFearMongering

Personally I listen to christian music.
You should try it out.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

There you go, I embedded them for you. Also, S&F for standing up for young people

We must all remember that age doesn't automatically grant people wisdom and knowledge.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Casandra because: Added reply

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I don't have room to say anything about whippersnappers and they're gad danged music, I hardly ever hear new stuff because I still listen to "Willie's Corner" and "Bluegrass Junction" channels on satellite tv (that will get nixed in a few days when I'm no longer with my parents
) and my 2 year old listens to very similar music as well...even shakes his hiney when he hears Johnny Cash. (who doesn't?)

I may come back and give your links a listen tomorrow...as far as generalizations about kids, don't worry about it too much, there will always be someone to say something negative to you. Keep your chin up, you seem like a bright kid, and yes your spelling is much better than some grown adults I've seen!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

You sound like very intelligent young individual. I think a lot of people forget how smart kids actually are.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Don't worry about what the old folks like and dislike about our generations. We've been saddled with their debts, their mistakes, and their shortcomings. We did not get the benefit of growing with the credit and banking industry, but rather we came of age and had to come toe to toe with a massive empire.

I like to think of myself as a member of the %^& you generation. The government, our many ignorant older generations, and the police.

If anything, we are more angry than the older generations and for much more valid reasons. Period.

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I have daughters in their late teens/ early twenties and have heard a lot of new music over the years. The thing I like least is when they use "sampling" and steal music but change the lyrics.
I happened to pop one of my daughters cd's into my car stereo one day by accident and heard a song called "Hustlin' Music" I believe, by Young Weezy or Young Geezy, it was absolutely brilliant and to this day it is still one of my favorite songs.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by StopFearMongering
You know, on ATS I always see people hating on kids because they're ignorant and even because of what music they listen to.

You know it's quite ironic that older generations seem to pick on the younger generation, hello you raised them!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mentalistbee

Originally posted by StopFearMongering
You know, on ATS I always see people hating on kids because they're ignorant and even because of what music they listen to.

You know it's quite ironic that older generations seem to pick on the younger generation, hello you raised them!

But they don't pick on THEIR kids, they pick on someone else's. In their eyes, their kids are perfect even if they do the same things they are complaining other people's kids do.

link   
My son listens to rap.Personally it offends me me. I find it repulsive. I think my paremts thought the same of my music.I have a hard time relating to my son.

-
edit on 16-4-2011 by witchof43 because: (no reason given)

link   
sorry.
edit on 16-4-2011 by witchof43 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Thou i not think people Hate...hate kids its more like the rebellious children. besides its also not about how good you do the grammar its more like the way you say it . You probably have heard this before but just wait until you get older youll understand more clearer, probably, of what im trying to say

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I like kids. I tend to find teenagers highly annoying.

But not because of their music. Because their hormones are raging, they are physically almost full size, and they have well developed enough brains to THINK they are smarter than everyone including most adults, but they dont have a crucial part of their brain developed, (the pre frontal cortex) which allows for impulse control and the evaluation of long term consequences. So you have hormonal, strong, aggressive, humans fixated on sex and appearance, (goes along with the sexual fixation) and the part of their brains that might stop them from acting like animals hasnt fully developed.

Its an annoying combination. And I do acknowledge that there are some teenagers who are better than others in terms of impulse control and reasoning ability, but the majority of them are literally handicapped due to the undeveloped brain region and it is, frankly, just annoying to be around them.

Its not their fault of course, its a developmental stage, but it doesnt make it any more enjoyable. It just means I know they will eventually grow out of it and so I dont judge them too harshly for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
why do people always blame music, if anything music is the real victim, having to always change to what ppl want to hear, if someone made a rap song about being the smartest in his class and being cool because hes smarter than most of his friends, you really think ppl are going to listen to that, someone down the line made it a big thing to not want to listen to good music anymore and thats why we have "bad" music, and its not the listeners fault either, music has been around longer than we have been alive were jus caught in the middle of it all, trying to explain why we like it, we cant explain why we like it, can you explain why u like pizza? dont say u like the cheese or the sauce, because then im going to ask you why you like the cheese or the sauce? we were brought up on it now were stuck with it no explanation its just how life works.

maybe in 20 or 30 yrs there will be a new type of music and the kids now 20 yrs later are going to be like " this music you kids listen to is crap"

edit on 16-4-2011 by ashtonkusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It's an unfortunate generalization. When I was a kid, I raged hard against the other kind of age discrimination. I know what you mean... It's not fair, it's not right. And surely, there will be people who post something along the lines of, "well, you proved my point, stupid kid." That's not right.

Young kids, teenagers, you're as valuable as adults. You've got insights and perspectives that time and work and adult agonies have stripped from the grown population. You've got more pure idealism in your little finger than most adults have in their whole bodies. I don't hate you. I might not understand you sometimes, with your rap musics and your funny hats, cracking voices, shortness, but that's not an excuse to hate. That's not an excuse to say, well, you'll grow out of it and then, when you're like us, we'll listen to you.

There were things I thought of as a teenager and did, that I wish I could do now. There's a clarity of vision, even if it's shortsighted vision from an adult perspective, that I wish carried over. I don't know why you guys get the rough end of the stick, but the things you think and the things you do and say... we should listen more. Even when it's things we think we already know or have been through, we should listen. Because we do forget.

Some people are jerks. Don't bother with them. Nod and smile, and try to figure out if it's honest criticism or just jerkiness. If it's honest, use what you learned. If not, cast it aside and continue on your road. Don't let it trouble you any.

Saul Williams is good. If he's good enough for Trent Reznor, he's good enough for me. Thumbs up for that.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I always see these kinds of threads pop up on forums. "Youth culture" and youths today seem backwards but the kids can hardly be blamed for that. It's the media, parents' failures (hypocrites if they're the ones discriminating), the terrible education system, the food and water poisoning which effects us all, etc. Still, this is a pretty adult site with news and agendas that can traumatize or really confuse younger individuals, but not just them. A fully grown man can be broken down by some of the stuff that's going on out there behind our backs.

Anyway I heard your songs. I'm just gonna leave this here...

edit on 16/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Mark Twain (another old guy) once said of teenagers, "When a child turns the age of 15, it should be placed in a barrel, and sealed, with only a hole in the side for food and water. When the child turns 16, plug the damned hole!"

That being said, generational differences have occured since Grog thought he could kill wooly mastadon better than his dad, Oog.

Chin up! Young man. One day you'll have the oppourtunity to insult your kids generation.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I love kids. They kinda taste like chicken.

But seriously, what I see of kids today is self centered, selfish, me oriented, lazy, back talking, I want I want, you get the picture. I feel this is the result of parents today telling the kids 'you are special and can be anything you want to be' then going off to work and never actually spending time with the kiddies to guide them and show them how to be all these things they aspire to be, so they apparently get the impression that dogone it, they are just going to be perfect without working on it, they are just, perfect. Well, they aren't.

I know some really smart and good kids though, it is pretty much up to the individual to mature and decide for themselves what it is they need to do to advance in life. This is true with all the smarter kids I know.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Not a fan of most rap. But i do wish you luck as the world is much harder than when I was young.

That being said, the reason why I feel most people in the older generations act as such is they don't see the wisdom they have gained through out the years in you. Mostly cause they probably forgot what it was like to be young. Just stay off the drugs (legal and illegal) and keep going. Hopefully things will change for the better... for all of us.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
i blame rastafarianism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join