It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Ways you (Probably)didn't know would help you recive stars and flags

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

1) Trolling

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83a67a2a9711.png[/atsimg]

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

en.wikipedia.org...(Internet)

2)Use pictures.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1f75ab1b16a3.jpg[/atsimg]

Using pictures will make what would be 1/10th the flags the post would normally get, get 10 times the flags it will get when it wouldn't have had pictures.

-Anttyk47 Ats member

3)Copy another idea that has already recived stars. Change ideas, present the same

the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.

dictionary.reference.com...

4) Be known

Being known around ATS will give you automatic kudos even if the input you presented is less than what some post with lack of stars recive.

5) Have good material.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5fa8098d6a2.jpg[/atsimg]

This seems to be self explainatory. You open a thread and find something interesting you want others to see it, so you flag it! In those rare cases when a real ATS member makes an infestigation, then they desirve double flags, but they still have to rival the trolling threads so there will always be a battle.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This is in the jokes and puns section because there is a trend of these "10 thinks you probably..." on ats, and if you were weeeewy observant i used all my 5 things in my op

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/35babae4a159.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

How'd you manage to get a star so fast? :O

Oh... right .. #1.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47

Oh... right .. #1.
rofl

And #2.
edit on 14/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: #2

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

You left out "Give yourself the first comment on your thread to give people the opportunity to star you twice"

Which I did because this is pretty spot on and made me smile.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord

You left out "Give yourself the first comment on your thread to give people the opportunity to star you twice"

Which I did because this is pretty spot on and made me smile.

Lol!!! You're so right. You know what, i haven't even been here long enough to realize that is the case. I mean i thought there was just that "Format" But you have caught on

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Now #1 and #3 is just plain ridiculous. I would never give someone a star or flag if they did that. Not trying to be rude but why would that be normal??

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwareOfSurroundings
Now #1 and #3 is just plain ridiculous. I would never give someone a star or flag if they did that. Not trying to be rude but why would that be normal??

I'd give you some examples, but i don't want to "personally attack" someone.

I have fallen victim to trolling actually. It wasn't purposeful, but it wasn't productive.

You know those single line post that could make you giggle, yet when the op replys to it the person doesn't respond. Yaaahhh knowwww

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

• Method # 11: Apply text formatting in a way that makes you look smart. In reality you really have no god damn idea wtf you're on about.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 211220121111

• Method # 11: Apply text formatting in a way that makes you look smart. In reality you really have no god damn idea wtf you're on about.

So damn brilliant! I wish i dedicated more to this thread, i could have probably seen this one too

ITS SO TRUE XD

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47

Oh... right .. #1.
rofl

And #2.
edit on 14/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: #2
Method # 12: Leave a cool one liner with some smile faces ("cool" one mandatory).

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Totally agree with you Anttyk47!

Nothing more to add except I noticed your signature and thought I would add this video of a cat that accidentally watched "2 Girls and a Cup"!

That poor cat will NEVER be the same!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Let me guess your 5 methods used here...

1) Having a thread title that urges people to look and plays on latest trends
2) Having large numbered headings that make the content clear
3) Using quoted and external material to look more professional

The other 2 are methods are eluding me...if my first 3 are even correct.

EDIT: After re-reading what you said I'm not even sure if you had another 5 methods now, or if you used the 5 methods stated.

edit on 14-4-2011 by 211220121111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AwareOfSurroundings

Trolling gets stars because people will star anything they agree with regardless of if it is on topic or even rude.

I'm guilty of it as is everyone at one time or another.

Example: you're in a heated debate about cabbage, you love the stuff, but the others are complaining about how horrid it is. Someone busts out with: "Cabbage haters like to eat puppies." Obvious trollery, but you think it's probably true plus cabbage haters make you mad so Bam! 1 star for a troll.

As far as plagiarism: Most readers aren't astute enough to know they are being duped and if the plagiarist isn't too stupid the stolen material is good so it gets kudos.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Method #6: Enter into a troll thread, make sure nobody else has posted, and post an intelligent counter-post in order to rack up stars real quick. You get bonus stars if your name is either "Phage" or "Chadwicks" and the title of the thread is [UPDATED] MUST READ: M-Class Solar Flare heading this way, nothing can stop it now!!!

Method #7:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8afddd318b18.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by 211220121111

DO NOT BELIEVE THIS POST - IT ARE TROLL

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
What's the big attraction with getting stars? I understand the flags get your thread more attention, but what do stars get you?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

yur doing it wrong!

edit on 14/4/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2482f73918b3.gif[/atsimg]

Method #8 - It does not matter if..
A; your post is on-topic or off-topic
B; your post is correct
C; you even believe the message that your post sends

None of that matters. Just try to make someone smile.

If they smile, you may get a star.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/74557f811763.gif[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join