It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone 'Supervolcano' May Be Larger Than Previously Thought

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Yellowstone 'Supervolcano' May Be Larger Than Previously Thought

www.huffingtonpost.com< br />

The volcanic mass, known as the Yellowstone Caldera or more commonly the Yellowstone Supervolcano, was previously measured at about 25 miles by 37 miles wide. However, a new study, set to be published in the Geophysical Research Letters journal says there may be more to it than that.

Using a new method of magnetic imaging, scientists have come to theorize that the plume feeding the underground volcano could extend further than seismic measurements taken in 2009 suggest.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-4-2011 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

Not sure what up with the link, but just incase it doesnt work CLICK HERE

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Hopefully this wasnt posted elsewhere, but since was a child I remeber reading about YellowStone in those old NatGeo Magazines.
Always had a feeling I would live to see this thing blow.
Hopefully since I'm in Texas, I'll be able to survive the supposedly thin layer of ashe that might cover Houston.
Atleast it'll give me time to head down to mexico :-D

www.huffingtonpost.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE

Hopefully this wasnt posted elsewhere, but since was a child I remeber reading about YellowStone in those old NatGeo Magazines.
Hopefully since I'm in Texas, I'll be able to survive the supposedly thin layer of ashe that might cover Houston.

You might have been in a semi-safe area before when it was thought to be 37 miles wide but if their right and it's 200 miles wide it may be a bigger boom than predicted.....and Houston might not be so safe?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

Its funny, since watching a documentary on it a couple of years ago. I also get the feeling that i'll live to see it blow. Especially when they said its due they just cant say when. I wonder if increased sunspot activity effects volcanoes. This could be the 2012 disaster everyones sure could happen. I live in England so i'll have even longer to get sorted if it goes. I think its the whole of North America that get a blanket of ash, though depending on wind. It could spread far beyond the shaws of the U.S

Were probably just being paranoid though

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
What does it matter? If it blows, we're all dead anyways, whether or not its 37 miles wide or 200 miles.

Source: 2012 the movie.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
they have probably known that it was thi large for awhile and now they are and now they are throwing its real size out there to instill even more FEAR into paranoid people like us....because i have a feeling that if it is that large then i dont think that any of us are going to have a chance in hell to survive an eruption...even tho we will pretty much be in hell after it does go BOOM...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

You know, I'd *love* to see something like this happen, but I really want to live my life. I'm young. I hope it doesn't!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
yellowstone blows there is nowhere safe in north america or from the ash or the result ground shocks hitting all of this nations nuclear reactors.

yellowstone is the end of america

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Can I just add some humor and rhetoric? If a volcano that friggin huge suddenly erupted and moved the earth like the recoil of a shot gun..... Would that make the chinese even shorter on the opposite side of the earth!???? LMAO!!! geez I thought it was funny in a weird way

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

You are a very twisted person. :~D I don't see the relationship myself, but whatever...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Here's a graphic of what some previous ashfalls from Yellowstone looked like, compared to Mt St Helens:

www.earthmountainview.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42a3ed0451bd.gif[/atsimg]
Only the very southern tip of TX was spared in all 3 of the previous ashfalls.

Yellowstone was big enough before!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Here's another report from the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

You won't live to see this thing blow and neither will your grandchildren so don't worry. The actual size they of the magma chamber is irrelevant when it comes to large caldera's like Yellowstone. When it goes the death toll will be astronomical world wide.

When Mt. Pinatubo blew in the phillipeans in the 90's it actually dropped the temperature of the earth by 2 degrees for a year. That volcano is just a tiny fraction of what Yellowstone will be.

But as far as it erupting soon it's just not in the cards. There needs to be alot of conditions present to signal an upcoming eruption that just do not exist at Yellowstone currently. And yes it's overdue but your also talking in terms of geology so precision dating is within thousands of years

If your worried about a large eruption though you might have good reason. Long Valley caldera in California which is smaller than Yellowstone but will be just as deadly, will erupt long before Yellowstone does. Back in the 80's they actually issued a warning due to the frequency of earthquakes and groundswells of 18 inches or more. Luckily it settled down but it's definitely huffing and puffing.

By the way, hasn't this exact topic been posted already?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I really hope it does not blow.

I don't think I could handle having to read a thousand posts on how HAARP caused it

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
yellowstone blows there is nowhere safe in north america or from the ash or the result ground shocks hitting all of this nations nuclear reactors.

yellowstone is the end of america

agreed, it would make the tradegy in Japan seem like a house fire ...... the fact is regardless of its size, if it were to happen any time in the near or far futur ...... no where in "north America" would be unaffected and in weeks maybe days no one on the planet would be unaffected.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
If even halfl the money that had been spent on wars and weapons had been put into research into alleviating real world destroying problems such as our vulcanoes etc, the world would be a far safer place and we wouldn't be wondering when our ars-s were going to get scorched.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The only thing to compare an event like this in recorded history, is the eruption of Mt. Tambora in Indonesia in 1815. 11-12,000 were killed from the immediate eruption, 82,000 Indonesians from the resulting famine - but the resultant ash cloud put so much material in the atmosphere that the next year, 1816, was known as "The Year Without a Summer" or "Eighteen-Hundred and Froze to Death". It snowed in June in the United States - 5 inches in central New York state. One-inch accumulations of ice killed off whatever survived into August. Crops failed. Livestock were slaughtered. Temperatures sung from 95 degrees to freezing within hours. The price of oats rose over 600%. Riots shook European cities. And then the real winter arrived.

New York City temperatures reached -32 in 1817. The Upper Bay froze solid. Estimates of the total casualties resulting from the famine included 100,000 in Ireland alone.

The estimates of the ejecta from Tambora were around 19 cubic miles. The estimate of the ejecta from Yellowstone's 600,000 BC eruption was 300 cubic miles.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

You might have been in a semi-safe area before when it was thought to be 37 miles wide but if their right and it's 200 miles wide it may be a bigger boom than predicted.....and Houston might not be so safe?

Should I say it? Dare I say it? Oh to hell with it why not!?

Houston, we have a problem!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am appreciating running through the different "back yards" of disaster stories here on ATS. All of them plausible and potential. If its not radiation from Fukushima, it will be ash from Yellowstone or political/economic wars in the middle east or drought in Australia. Or an ET event like a giant brown dwarf.

Okay. I accept all of them. Recently a friend of mine in CA, a physician, has been calling me to urgently tell me to just pack a suitcase, take whatever cash I have and get on a plane for the Southern Hemisphere. Uh, so, lots of earthquakes/volcanoes there too. And political unrest bubbling below the surface in some countries, or possible flooding after the "mystery planet" reverses our polarity. When I delve into fear, I've got my passport and bag in hand. And then comes the simple realization that we have come to a time where we can run, but we can no longer hide. What has begun to emerge when I choose NOT to freak out like chicken little is a lot more contact with my close friends, a deepening of our conversations and authentic sharing and an ease in acknowledging how meaningful my relationships with them are - to their faces, with love and gratitude for my circle of intimates. In the end, I would rather face potential catastrophe with those beloved relationships intact and growing than run off to some potentially "safe" (always a potential, but NOT guaranteed) place amongst strangers. The gift for me is in realizing and expressing my love for those long term relationships and valuing consciously what is dear. And pushing the eject button on all the rest.

These are very interesting and challenging times and I find myself turning inward and deconstructing and facing my own fears, working my way through them and then relaxing into a state of accepting the world as it is evolving. Discernment around what we can do to assist ourselves and giving in to that which we cannot influence is my own cutting edge of learning.

Thanks for all of the posts here on ATS - from the totally whacko/nutter to the intuitive/rational to the highly intelligent integrationist. I find it helpful to just know what's out there for contemplation.

Steady on, mates!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Here's a graphic of what some previous ashfalls from Yellowstone looked like, compared to Mt St Helens:

www.earthmountainview.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42a3ed0451bd.gif[/atsimg]
Only the very southern tip of TX was spared in all 3 of the previous ashfalls.

Yellowstone was big enough before!

It looks like If I can make it down to Corpus Christi I'll be alright, atleast according to the old scale.
Either way, we're all screwed if it blows....

<<   2 >>

join