It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That weird ringing in the ears

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone else believe in the so called myth that when your ears are ringing someone is talking about you. I have come to believe this because my ears will usually ring before I get a phone call, text, email our even a facebook message. Sometimes my ears will ring without people trying to contact me and then I will find out later that they were having a discussion about me. Does anyone else feel like it's more than a myth and that it's a sign that peoples consciousness can actually know that someone is talking about them without hearing them?

There could be other examples as well like when you catch a person staring at you or when you have a pain that can tell if it's going to rain. Sometimes I will become almost ill when around certain people as if my body has a way of telling me those people are not what I think they are. I was just wondering if others may have an answer or opinion as to whether they believe it is something that we need to pay more attention to?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RayTheWizardLiotta

Ringing in ears is usually tinnitus, I get it now and then as well. I'd discount those cases as coincidences. But I have experienced the whole "Hmm I wonder what bill is doing, haven't talked to him in 3 months..." as the phone rings and it's bill. Or I'll randomly remember some event from my past just as a person involved with said event reappears in my life.

I've always been fascinated with the idea of people feeling you looking at them. So much so that I do it for kicks. I'll be on the bus and just stare at someone. In my mind I'm willing them to look back. Over 50% of the time they do. I've also been on the other end, just had a strange feeling, look over my shoulder and someone is staring me down.

I recall reading a series of books years ago, I think it was the Celestian Prophecy? something like that. It went in depth trying to explain these things as our "energy" connecting with others, so essentially your consciousness moves out past the limits of your body and interacts with another persons.

the book series was fiction, and actually not that good, but they are interesting concepts

edit on 13-4-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I believe that everyone has a sixth sense and that some people are more in touch with it than others. That ringing in the ears is tinnitus. Your example of that has a lot of scientific explanations to back it up but I wouldn't rule out a sixth sense . As far as people aching when the weather changes I believe that has something to do with the barometric pressure. Granted there is a scientific explanation for just about everything I do believe that sometimes our "sixth sense" lets us know that we do have it in us. I often can feel when people are looking at me. I get a strange feeling and than I turn around and sure enough there is someone checking me out.
edit on 13-4-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I don't know if I would attribute it to a cell phone call. However yes many times in the past week I have gotten a very powerful ringing frequency in my ear. It increases in intensity until it dies off. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I can compare it to when you turned on an older tv it sometimes the frequency would hurt your ears as it started up.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by d00d557
I don't know if I would attribute it to a cell phone call. However yes many times in the past week I have gotten a very powerful ringing frequency in my ear. It increases in intensity until it dies off. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I can compare it to when you turned on an older tv it sometimes the frequency would hurt your ears as it started up.

Yes, it's called tinnitus. It happens to a lot of people. Check out webMD for more info.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I have ringing in my ears for 20 years already now is constantly beside having very bad sinus infections all my life is not other reason why I have this problem, beside the ringing I have tested great on hearing.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Me too. At least 20 years. I have it so bad that I hear more than two different tones. I have a constant high pitched ringing that I've had the longest, and I have what can only be described as cicadas singing in my ears. This is mainly in the left ear. Sometimes I'll be sitting there listening to them and say to my wife "D@#$ those cicadas are loud out there" and she'll say "honey, it's your ears ringing, it's winter".

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think blood pressure may have something to do with it but there are also other causes. I know that ive had regular episodes of tinnitus in the past when using AAS which gave me high blood pressure. I correlate the tinnitus to AAS use because after coming off a cycle of AAS the tinnitus stopped. My blood pressure normally is always in the very good range.
edit on 13-4-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Does tinnitus have anything to do with age?
I'm not very old and it has happened to me since I was in elementary school. Its not like it happens when I listen to music very loud. It will happen just at random for like 20 seconds or so than stop usually when a friend is gonna arrive or call etc. Last time it happened I was asleep got the ringing woke up had a suspicion my brother in law sent me a message. I go on fb what do you know he was asking help for a website project. Most of the time I can predict who it is. Im not saying tinnitus doesn't exist because it would be dumb of me to ignore it but I feel it's more than that, kinda like a intuition.
edit on 13-4-2011 by RayTheWizardLiotta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

It very well could be your sixth sense In my opinion. If it becomes bothersome or a hindrance I would go see your doctor or do some online research on the matter.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yup it's Tinnitus. I have it too. To much metal. I need to cut back!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I wouldn't say it's a hindrance because I kind of see it as like you said a "sixth sense". You also said earlier how there's an explanation for everything which I agree with. Science is always looked at for our questions which is understandable but maybe sometimes science can't answer everything.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Maybe you can learn to utilize your sixth sense for other things. Make the most out of it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Lol I love metal too but my ears don't ring the same after a concert compared to other times. I went to a disturbed concert the other day and my ears kind where ringing but not the same way as if someone is talking about me. When someone is talking about me it's more of a burning ringing feeling that doesn't last as long.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and the docs say that caused it, even though I had it as a kid also.
On the other hand, despite working on the flight deck, my hearing is exceptional, I can hear a mouse tip toe across the floor. But the frequency range that the human voice is in I find myself having to concentrate more to hear what people are saying and I say "huh?" quite a bit. I hear the voice but sometimes I do not hear the words.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Even though many say it's most likely tinnitus which I don't think it is. If anyone wants to know if they have tinnitus because I wouldn't want anyone to ignore that possibility including myself, I went to wikipedia and it has many different causes from what I read so far. Lol looks like everyone has tinnitus from what the link says...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Yes that is how I could describe mine, but it could also be hereditary, my father also suffer from it since he was in his early 30s with bouts of light headlessness I also started at the same age with both, ringing and light headlessness, now my son that is 24 and my daughter 27 said that they get ringing in the ears also.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I've always thought of my ears ringing as being like a "spider-sense" of sorts. Not warning me that I'm in danger as much as telling me to pay attention to my surroundings for the next few moments.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hey, few hours ago we discussed this in this tinitus thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Some interesting observations there.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PinkAndBlack

Sometimes, right before they start ringing, I will feel a pressure in my head/ears but not painful. Then I hear and maybe even feel a popping sound and then the ringing sets in and then the pressure subsides. There are also instances of where I think it is a spidey sense and I find myself automatically paying a little closer attention to my surroundings. Kinda weird.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join