It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I NEED HELP NOW!!!!! ITS BROKEN!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Basicly I just recieved a 1998 C230 as a gift. The driver seat does not work at all, the key entry for the locks is inop also. I have to manully lock each door, and I am stuck driving on the steering wheel like someones grand-mah. The seat is in full front position, I'm 5'7 270lb big guy, so I need help quick!!!
I'm in the Houston area, if there are any mechanics that wont take my arm and leg for repair please recommend, If there is a quick fix I can do myself, please recommend. Thanks People

If anyone has a link where I can download a free repair manul, please post

Edit: I have check all fuses, and even replaced good ones..... The big 30amp relay next to the fuse box in the trunk still works, I took it out and realized it powers the fuel pump.
edit on 12-4-2011 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

I would first check the fuses again, then maybe get the PCM flashed it might be a computer failure, very very very common in late 90's cars

edit on 05/24/2010 by FrancoUn-American because: x

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American

I would first check the fuses again, then maybe get the PCM flashed it might be a computer failure, very very very common in late 90's cars

edit on 05/24/2010 by FrancoUn-American because: x

When you say PCM flashed, what exactly is that? I took it to AutoZone and they hooked to a diag machine and gave me a few codes but none indicated anything about the locks or seat

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
i have come across many times wile searching around of problems with wires under the seat getting cought and causing problems,it be a good place to start trouble shooting.best of luck.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Can you say alittle more about it? The seat is stuck in the full front position right? And there power seats too? and also the power locks do not work is that correct? Does the passenger seat go back or no? The seat may just be stuck on something cuz the passenger seat in my 87 trans am would not go backward since i had the car then one day i looked at it and it turned out to be just some stupid rubber thing blocking it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
my advise is search for an enthusiats club and approach them for mechanic references and help.

i have a mitusbishi FTO and without the FTOausralia forums i wouldnt know jack about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

getting it flashed is basically like getting your pcm booted or rebooted. You might even have to replace it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainKing098
Can you say alittle more about it? The seat is stuck in the full front position right? And there power seats too? and also the power locks do not work is that correct? Does the passenger seat go back or no? The seat may just be stuck on something cuz the passenger seat in my 87 trans am would not go backward since i had the car then one day i looked at it and it turned out to be just some stupid rubber thing blocking it.

The passenger seat is manual and it works

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I found this fix for you car.

the only way to fully check this, is to remove the seat from the vehicle .. FRONT SEAT BACKREST MOTOR GROUP Removal & Installation (C Class) Remove front seat. See FRONT SEAT .

Disconnect headrest motor and backrest motor electrical connector. Detach wiring harness straps on seat cushion. Remove tensioning element on front seat backrest.

Unhook right side of backrest cover. Unhook wiring harness mounting clips. Remove backrest forward/backward motor.

Press out wiring harness mounting clips.
Remove headrest up/down motor screws. Remove headrest motor up/down drive shaft.

Press out wiring harness mounting clips. Press out tabs at bottom of backrest cover.
Unhook wiring harness from mounting clips. Remove headrest motor with wiring harness.

To install, reverse removal procedure. FRONT SEAT Removal & Installation (C Class) Remove headrest from seat. Move seat forward. Pull cover off seat belt end fitting.

Remove screws holding rear of seat rails to floor. Move seat rearward.

Slide covers off front of seat rails. Remove screws holding front of seat rails to floor.

Disconnect connector X55 from contacting strip at front of seat cushion frame. Lift and remove front seat. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten seat rail bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 N.m). Tighten seat belt end fitting bolt to 26 ft. lbs. (35 N.m).

most likely all u need is a new elec motor... but I have also seen many many times change will get stuck in the track on even a manual seat and jam it ... if you dont hear the motor working or trying then its either wires are loose corroded or even eaten through by a mouse... or the motor is burned out... both easy fixes/.

Good luck...

Just thought of something if it is stuck you could probably fix it to where you need the seat but it wont move easily for other drivers..
look at the motor and see how it locks the track you should be able to release it manualy and slide the seat back then let it lock...

edit on 4/16/2011 by -W1LL because: new thought

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

NOOO!!! Too much work, lol

Preciate it though, i'm gonna have to take this project up sunday when I finally get a day off. The benz dealer ship wants to charge $145 just to look at it, I'd rather disassemble it myself with a 6 pack...nI'll let you know how it turned out

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Sometimes if it's electrical stuff, it's just the switch. In which case try some electrical contact cleaner first.

I had an inoperative drivers side window for a while, and a $5 can of electrical contact cleaner and working the switch back and forth a couple dozen times saved me from buying a $120 switch cluster for the driver's side door.

At least if this fails, you're only out $5. Then on to the more expensive solutions...

top topics

join