It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoops! Friday's Budget Deal Was A Sham; Might Collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Looks like the con artists are at it again! The government shutdown was avoided recently by pushing through a last minute agreement on $38.5 billion in cuts.

Where were the cuts made, you might ask? Turns out most of these "cuts" are not even real - much of it involves money from previous years and budgets that haven't been spent. Here's a quick breakdown:

As the AP puts it, the budget deal is financed with a lot of one-time savings and cuts that officially ‘score’ as savings to pay for spending elsewhere, but that often have little to no actual impact on the deficit…cuts to earmarks, unspent census money, leftover federal construction funding, and $2.5 billion from the most recent renewal of highway programs that can’t be spent because of restrictions set by other legislation. Another $3.5 billion comes from unused spending authority from a program providing health care to children of lower-income families.

The total amount actually cut appears to be somewhere between $8 and $14 billion.

The politics here are very complicated now. On the one hand, polls suggest the public is overwhelmingly in favor of there having been a deal, around 60 percent or so. On the other, politically engaged people on both the Right and the Left are profoundly upset by what they take to be unprincipled caving on the part of the leaders of the two parties.

That profound concern is likely to spur a populist revolt this week, over the next 72 hours, before the vote is taken. Already there are indications that a great many House members are going to vote against the deal. What we don’t know, or can’t know, is whether grass-roots velocity has sped up to such a degree over the past several years that we could be looking at a major meltdown of support when the votes are cast, as Republican members honestly balk at the clear deceit of the negotiators in making non-existent cuts in federal spending—and as they fear the wrath of the voters (particularly tea partiers). Meanwhile, Leftist Democrats who feel betrayed by Barack Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid might also decide to teach them a lesson by withholding support.

And then, all of a sudden, there will be a shutdown. And no plan to end it. And make no mistake—the public will blame the GOP.

Source

So much for avoiding a shutdown fiasco... And just in time for hitting the debt ceiling, estimated to be breached in one to two weeks!

Stuff shall hit the fan in the next couple of days. Be prepared, and keep an eye out - you are in my thoughts, my American brethren.
edit on 12-4-2011 by pforkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
thanks i will keep an eye in

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Be upwind.

Or in a splatter-proof suit!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We are in this together, no matter what.

Im ready and will be there to do whatever i can whenever i can my brothers and sisters.

God Bless All.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Of course it's a sham

I wouldn't expect anything else... The real budget cuts need to be our military, like Ron Paul says, bring our troops home and learn to fix our own problems instead of policing the world

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It was all a show, to show the people how they can come together and get things done when the clock is ticking. Great show people, when can I expect the sequel?

On the other hand, considering the national situation, now is not the time to be arguing and unable to agree on things, put aside the differences and focus on the facts. No atta-boy from me, they should have been more cooperative from the beginning, there was no reason for a circus.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Reply to post by pforkp

Are u saying USA.is going to default in one or two weeks???

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The sequel will come soon enough, when everybody is begging the Fed for QE3... Gotta keep those money presses warm or else they'll become useless

Are u saying USA.is going to default in one or two weeks???

Yup, that's the plan. Check out this post for good info on it.

I think that default is necessary - better sooner than later. It's going to hurt, but it'll only hurt more if TPTB keep kicking the can down the road.
edit on 12-4-2011 by pforkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Discovered unused allocated money leftover from previous years can be used to offset the debt if nessecary. This is probally what happened.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
if this fiasco isn't solved...and the supposed "Legendary moments in US history" that CNN claimed and they come to the table this week and go...oops sorry but we're going to have to shut down anyways ::middle finger::...there is going to be an american foot that's going to be shoved straight up all these crooks *snips*

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
Discovered unused allocated money leftover from previous years can be used to offset the debt if nessecary. This is probally what happened.

We are trillions of dollars in debt, we are not in a position to say even one cent is not allocated or leftover.

SCAM

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
you people cut defense and you will end up still spending the same amount on welfare.

until globalization ends until outsourcing ends face it people we will always be out there.

multiply ever job loss in america means lost revenue here times a thousand.

until we make and buy own own goods and services you cant do it.

how many people will die from $1000 a gallon price of gasoline other products and goods in the thousands of dollars

because people cant afford to buy anything in this country.

the only reason we are out there is so americans can buy cheap crap .

we are in debt because of those reasons and the value of the dollar spending and borrowing and printing our way into oblivion.

hell if the value of the dollar doubled with is possible half of the national debt would be erased. think not the bonds and treasuries they sell $1000 dollars now would be $2000 if the dollar had more value.

none of that will happen tho they will still keep printing and borrowing and adding more and more people to government bill the budget will never be balanced never.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

We are trillions of dollars in debt, we are not in a position to say even one cent is not allocated or leftover.

SCAM

This is done by us so that we can hide some money to prevent TPTB from getting their grubby hands on it.

We have way more money in reserve and cash on hand that TPTB knows full well they cannot touch but won't give them a dime.

Gov't has way more power over bankers, The Federal Reserve and TPTB then it would like to admit.Why do you think they are systematically destroying this nation because of our legal system and how it is structured.

I however do see that you are quick to concede this great nation to the very people destroying it.
edit on 12-4-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

join