It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The woman that cannot stop herself from eating...sofas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I hate twinkles.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Quickfix

All I have to say is...

what a dumb@$$...

Let her keep eating it...she knows what will happen...

...stupid people never cease to amaze me...

This has nothing to do with being 'stupid'. It's a disorder named Pica'.

Pica is a pattern of eating non-food materials..

Thanks for being so incredibly sensitive.

peace
edit on 11-4-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

They are not insensitive.
What would have this lady eaten 1000 years ago. Thats right she wouldnt have eaten any lounge, so she wouldnt have had a disorder.
So no one is being insensitive, we are just having a laugh at the lounge eaters expence

edit on 11-4-2011 by meathed because: The lounge eater made me do it. I only hope she doesn't eat me..HELP ME

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

There are always vitamin supplements to get the required amount of vitamins a body needs and craves, which is why like you said she is eating a sofa...

Anything can become a disorder these days...and it is quite frankly sad because people just go along with it saying oh poor you....and rubs them on the back...

Is it childish calling people on what they are (ignorant) for what they are doing (eating themselves to death)? I don't think so...

You act like people don't have a choice when, clearly she does...

So being fat is now a neurological disorder?....nice...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well, I personally have minimal sympathy. I'm not going to feel sorry for her but I'm not going to make fun of her either.

She is not driven against her will to do this. In the video, it almost seems like she is excited about the attention it creates for her.

But it's like people with cutting disorders. Nobody is drawing the blade to your skin but you. With this woman, no one is holding her down and force feeding her sofa stuffing. With drug addicts, no one is tying them to a chair and injecting them with narcotics.

So it really is up to her to make the choice to stop this. I understand addiction and OCD very well but it DOES get to the point where you have to take control of the harmful behavior.

And yeah. That's fruity. Don't do it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well you can link a craving for food to a neurological response outside of external chemicals so I would call it a disorder. Yes.

I think the difference is that I don't necessarily see a disorder as a free pass. I do see it as something to recognize as it is important to know the cause of a problem to overcome it.

I also don't think it is constructive to laugh at people with serious problems just because they are outside of the norm. And yes, to me this is absolutely no different from a person who is more than 50lbs over weight and everyone laughing at her while drinking a large Coke is being a hypocrite... Soda is just as bad for you as couch is I would imagine. And likely has less nutrient value for your body.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Sofa king good...

Yup, needed to be said.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord

Well you can link a craving for food to a neurological response outside of external chemicals so I would call it a disorder. Yes.

I think the difference is that I don't necessarily see a disorder as a free pass. I do see it as something to recognize as it is important to know the cause of a problem to overcome it.

I also don't think it is constructive to laugh at people with serious problems just because they are outside of the norm. And yes, to me this is absolutely no different from a person who is more than 50lbs over weight and everyone laughing at her while drinking a large Coke is being a hypocrite... Soda is just as bad for you as couch is I would imagine. And likely has less nutrient value for your body.

Being fat is not a disorder....it is a matter of choice once again...people can be fat and then become skinny after working on a diet and exercise..it happens....

The way you make it sound like anything can become a disorder...and i think that is a bit much...just like the Illuminati saying that Conspiracy Theorists have mental problems/disorders because they think differently...

Well people whom are overweight should make better decisions...its not my responsibility to tell them what to eat and what not to eat...It's on them and they have their warnings..whether they choose (choice once again) to listen or not....

Some people don't drink soda anymore because they know it's effect on the body, like gallstones from too much soda consumption...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Okay according to Merriam Webster:

Definition of DISORDER

1 : lack of order

2 : breach of the peace or public order oubled times marked by social disorders>

3 : an abnormal physical or mental condition

Source

Looking at definition 3 to which we are referring. Being fat is definitely an abnormal physical condition brought on by an abnormal mental condition of not being able to stop eating. It is absolutely free choice to stop eating and in my estimation 99% of all disorders can be overcome through careful application of will power and self awareness.

I am a strong advocate of both not mocking people who are aberrant and making sure assistances are available to anyone who wishes to change. I wouldn't force change on anyone and if they choose to eventually kill themselves through a practice it is their choice as to whether they choose to cure their disorder or not.

My thoughts on this will not be popular because I I do think it is okay to recognize a thing as a disorder without it being an excuse for the activity. Too many times in the modern world we see reasons and use them as excuses. A reason is a tool to help effect change, it is not an excuse to not change. .

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There is a show on TLC called My Strange Addiction in which they featured this woman along with other women that were addicted to eating things like detergent and toilet paper.

Here are some clips:
www.tvguide.com...

Here is a link to the TLC page dedicated to this show:

tlc.discovery.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Pica is a pattern of eating non-food materials..

So sniffing bicycle seats doesn't qualify as long as you don't bite?

Not that anyone on ATS sniffs bicycle seats mind you, just thought it might be related.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
this is just stupid. I mean instead of eating the families couch, she could go buy some bulk foam, fill a bag with it and eat it like popcorn.
Who wants to eat some old, nasty foam that people have been setting (and other things) on for years?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
More common in children and women. Of the two, with children of course, often gone unnoticed...with pennies and dirt that pass easily. Though, a big cause of internal parasites for children. More often seen in animals, namely pets. In animals everything from dogs eating whole tennis balls to having a taste in sofas as the lady does. Causes are not that different in animals, such as a vitamin deficiency, for the most part.,,as mentioned in the article. Though, her case could be underlying mental affliction. I figure because wouldn't she seek(seeing a DR., getting vitamins,etc) help before such, uh, drastic measures?

edit on 13-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed sentence structure.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Just like the dumbass woman who is "addicted" to "Comet cleaner".
And to make matters worse.. She even has her child eating the crap.
People are the most screwed up animals on the entire planet.
Even more screwed up than the animals who eat their own young for being weak.

People are retarded!

edit on 13-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join