It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God? I am confused

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Why do so many myself included not belive there to be a God?

Why would we rather belive that we are all here by chance that we live and then die, no rhyme or reason of being born other than procreation of the species.

Is it because our ego's will not admit to a superior being, is it that religion has caused so much mayhem?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is just my opinion and it ain't worth much but here you go. I consider myself on the subject of "GOD" to be undetermined. To me it boils down to what "GOD" you are believing in. The Judaic/Christian God is born out of the belief in the star God Marduk, and the story of Enki and Enkidu. And there are other things as well that I will not go into for personal reasons. It is all about faith to a lot of people and I do not fault them for that in the slightest. I am a scientist at heart, I need proof and when it isn't there personally have a hard time believing it. That's just what your local yokel thinks though.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
imho we all know, deep down, God exists; for whatever reason (fear, independence, rebellion, distractions) many just don't pursue the subject.
I think every intelligent person considers this at some point.

a lot of people are turned off by what the 'thou shalt not' aspect of Christianity, focusing on the negative aspects of faith / relationship, abandoning the positives (purpose in life, answers to the big questions).

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I myself am completely open to the concept of a God. All I require is experimental evidence that I can draw a conclusion from that would be proof of a God. So far I have yet to see such experimental evidence. Maybe in the future our technology with be advanced enough to actually show evidence of a God's existence. I am not going to believe in one without evidence though. I suggest we should all do the same thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
imho we all know, deep down, God exists; for whatever reason (fear, independence, rebellion, distractions) many just don't pursue the subject.
I think every intelligent person considers this at some point.

a lot of people are turned off by what the 'thou shalt not' aspect of Christianity, focusing on the negative aspects of faith / relationship, abandoning the positives (purpose in life, answers to the big questions).

id say the opposite, we cant see, hear, touch, taste, smell god, so some just want to believe there is a god. we believe in a god because we can't explain things or we're afraid of what we don't know. any one who can better understand reality will have less of a reason to believe in any gods.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy

Why would we rather belive that we are all here by chance that we live and then die, no rhyme or reason of being born other than procreation of the species.

Is it because our ego's will not admit to a superior being, is it that religion has caused so much mayhem?

I wonder why you ask this question? Do you worry what might happen come end days/judgement day?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

It's Good You Have Questions!

Important truth that no one who comes to God in repentance and faith can take credit for that act. Jesus tells us in the New Testament, “No one comes to Me, except that My Father who sent Me draws him.” The Holy Spirit draws us to God. The question we should ask is not, “How much do we have of God?” but instead, “How much of us does God have?”

People are not perfect and they will let you down!

Religion is man made, And it is not perfect!

People Need A Personal Relationship With God, Then They Will Know True Love And Purpose!

All true Christians have heard God’s voice. Jesus says, "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. "It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. (John 6:44-45) It was God’s voice that drew you to Him. In your inner most being you heard God saying, “I have chosen you and ordained you, come unto Me”.
The Holy Spirit communicates the deep things of God to us. But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him." But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. (1stCor 2:9-12)

God enters by a private door into each individual. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucius Driftwood

I guess it's easier to believe that everything around is is the result of causal cause and effect, that has neither divine influence and manipulation, or higher purpose and significance woven into it. If you consider the idea of GOD/god/a god/a divine, benign/benevolent/malevolent entity that created everything, things get tricky.
If everything, including us, was 'created', then surely that suggests design, form, planning, intention, purpose, etc.
If there is a supreme being out there, did He/he/she/it create us for a purpose, or as part of some 'in-house-' joke or amusement we don't get. Does GOD care about what we do/think/aspire to/motivate ourselves with/by?
I guess bottom line, the worry/argument is: If there is a GOD and we are created by said Power/Force, are we somehow accountable for what we do with our existence?
I would argue atheism takes the burden of soul searching out of the equation. We are refined animals who feed, fu*k and fight our way through life and disappear into the ancient oblivion of inevitability.
Personally? I have found Jesus to be the truth, the way and the life. My desire is for Him to be my motivation. I will not begrudge anyone their right to choose life or death on their own terms. If there's a GOD, it will all be sorted in the end. If not, what does it matter and why should I worry?
Keep smiling, love your neighbour, and carry on

Reading your post I realise it is much easier to be an athiest than a believer in something in which we are accountable

I dislike organised religion only because of all the ills it causes in the world, that's one of the reasons I became a Buddhist,( product of athiest parents) that and that I thought (think) I should only be answerable to myself, deeds and actions, karma etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Personally I think wether or not there is a god is irrelevant.

If a god exists it does not appear to be very interested in us. At least not as described in the bible. So why try to please a god that does not seem to care about all the atrocities in the world?

If there is not a god trying to please someone who isn't there makes as much sense as seeking the approval of one who doesn't care.(Ha I rhymed)

I can only base this on my own experiences, but either way I will continue to do as I please.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Reading your post I realise it is much easier to be an athiest than a believer in something in which we are accountable I dislike organised religion only because of all the ills it causes in the world, that's one of the reasons I became a Buddhist,( product of athiest parents) that and that I thought (think) I should only be answerable to myself, deeds and actions, karma etc.

I would argue that my following Jesus as a would-be disciple, does not make me a follower of an organized religion. I would argue that Jesus did not come to start a religion. Religion is what happens when man receieves a degree of spiritual enlightenment and attempts to interpret it in a way that makes reaching GOD viable on his own terms. According to this definition, I am not religious, nor do I follow a religion.
I recognize and appreciate the tenet in Buddhism that desire is the root of all suffering. Again, I would argue that he was pointing to a way, but he wasn't THE WAY.As a Buddhist, do you consider yourself a follower of a religion, organized or otherwise?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Personally I think wether or not there is a god is irrelevant. If a god exists it does not appear to be very interested in us. At least not as described in the bible. So why try to please a god that does not seem to care about all the atrocities in the world? If there is not a god trying to please someone who isn't there makes as much sense as seeking the approval of one who doesn't care.(Ha I rhymed) I can only base this on my own experiences, but either way I will continue to do as I please.

Is this a safe doctrine/philosophy for all of man/womankind to live by?
If 'I continue to do as I please' is the whole of the law, does that subscribe and refer to you only? If not, where do you draw the line on individual rights? As far as I can see, post modern moral relativism doesn't work in a practical reality.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

We are all entitled to our own beliefs and endeavors. As long as no one tries to force theirs on me, I wont bother them.

And if they try, they should be prepared to face the consequences.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

I wonder why you ask this question? Do you worry what might happen come end days/judgement day?

Not at all.

I have no fear of death be it a great slumber or being accountable for my actions, I have never knowingly hurt another, died twice 3 and 4 mins due to cardiac arrests was able to retell acurately what went on in those minutes I was clinically dead.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Is that tolerance?
Actually screw that.... What if someone came up to you and told you that your personal moral philosophy was wrong compared to theirs, therefore it gave them the right to supercede any preconceived thoughts/morals and lifestyle patterns you lived by. In a post modern world, how can you prove them wrong? Who are you to say they are wrong?
Or put it another way. A bully in the playground challenges you about something (an opinion). Through sheer physical ability, he overcomes you. Does that therefore mean he is right and you are wrong?
Isn't this the 'morally relativistic' philosophy card that countries are playing against each other (including the UN)
Dominant accepted truth through superior firepower.
Show me how moral relativism is working successfully in the world today.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Because, my child, my existence does not make logical sense. There is no rationality in believing in something as extraordinary as me when there is no proof of my existence whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Corpus Hermeticum, Book 12:

"But if you lock up your soul in your body, abase it and say: 'I understand nothing; I can do nothing; I am afraid of the sea; I cannot reach heaven; I do not know who I was nor who I shall be.' What have you to do with God? For you cannot conceive anything beautiful or good while you are attached to the body and are evil. For the greatest evil is to ignore what belongs to God. To be able to know and to will and to hope is the straight and easy way appropriate to each that will lead to the Supreme Good. When you take that road this Good will meet you everywhere and will be experienced everywhere, even where and when you do not expect it; when awake, asleep, in a ship, on th road, by night, by day, when speaking and when silent, for there is nothing which it is not."

Matthew 7

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

My advise, based on my own search for truth, is to simply ask for enlightenment. That's really all you need to do. God fills in the blanks between. Read the book, The Way of Hermes. Then, read the Bible starting with Deuteronomy 4:19. This single verse tells you your heritage as a believer who desires to walk with God.

Heaven is the Universe

19 And when you look up to the sky and see the sun, the moon and the stars--all the heavenly array--do not be enticed into bowing down to them and worshiping things the LORD your God has apportioned to all the nations under heaven.

Then, Ephesians 1-3 gives you the mystery that God has held since he created man. We inherit the universe and rule it with Christ. We are being prepared for this. The requirements are learning faith, hope and love. 1 Corinthians 13.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

Well friend, Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

My philosophy works well for me so I stick with it. But there are a lot of greedy bastards so it doesnt work out for everyone.

I don't have all the answers.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

OKAY,show were you get this statement about our god,i,never heard that before.thanks.My bible and other books ,I,have read never said from that star.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I,believe there is a GOD AND JESUS,THE SON OF GOD.Now,my friend,I,have wrote a lot of articles on my belief,please read them and get back with me please.Maybe I,can help you to believe,but its all up to you. SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND,JESUS SAID. God loves us all,no matter what we have done and said.H e will take us back,that's why Jesus died for us.Now,I,don't promise it will easy,mankind will try to change your mind.....here i, hope these help..
The whole Christian world almost is under a great deceptions. We are watching the following being done now.

Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
Joh 5:34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join