It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This photo made me laugh, and it happned 10 miles from my home.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Then go here for the description.
It's photo number 20
www.space.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hilarious!

But I REALLY don't want to know what's on them long johns...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow, I never saw John Glenn like that. But seriously, if you ever do off shore fishing, you take a cap and stuff a white t-shirt under it for protection. I imagine this training was in the desert.

Alan's hat looks like he bought it that way.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Humor can often be subjective and spontaneous. I often chuckle at things others might not usually at an inopportune time. (Funerals, hospitals etc.) But it reminded me of an EXCELLENT thread by esteemed member Saint Exupery who shared some keen insight into the science behind humans surviving inhospitable conditions. It is highly informative and relevant.

How Hot is it on the Moon?

Outside heat from direct & reflected sunlight is kept out by using a reflective outer layer, backed up by layers of insulation. When you look at the flimsy-looking outer covers of the Lunar Module, you're only seeing the reflective skin that covers the actual structural members and pressure vessels beneath. Interestingly, Middle Eastern nomads developed the same principle centuries ago: Those volumous white robes they wear serve the same function, and work better than shorts and a t-shirt to keep them cool in the desert.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm both arabic, and a space nut...so, pretty familiar.
However...As I was flipping through the photos..I literally had to check if this might have been an April fools joke.

I normally recognize photos of The original astronauts as soon as I see them.
I can almost do that with every moon of every planet in the solar system too!
I recognized NONE of these guys. and nobody is smiling. LOL..

I need to find a bigger photo, I want to frame it and hang it at work..I'm curious about what people might think.

BTW..It's about 37 degrees at that location as I type this.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So so funny!!!! I thought at first it was a joke. When I read the caption, I almost fell out of my chair!
I really thought it was a current picture! Great post!!!!!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
HaHa! I just had a case of pareidolia...

And, weren't the astronauts sexy in their silver suits?...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Here's some more of the Right Stuff:

Link to related story (same photo)

Link to related story (same photo)

Li nk to Group 2

edit on 9-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I and nobody is smiling. LOL..

I agree, they don't appear too thrilled!

They look like escapees from weird chain-gang or something....

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
One has to realize that the first astronauts were basically daredevils. At the beginning of the space program none of these men had any assurances of their safety, or what to expect at all. They were truly fly by wire no excuses kind of dudes.

One would never get that sort of impression while talking to John Glenn today. He will gladly converse with a simple janitor in the same manner that he would converse with a scientific committee. He's really a down-to-earth approachable guy.

My wife happened to have a job at The Ohio State University's John Glenn School of Public Affairs as it was completed and in its hoopla, she also had a chance to talk with Buzz. BTW, it is a fascinating structure of old and new architecture right by the controversial Wexner Center (for the arts).

Some criticism comes from those who cannot adapt, or progress. Those structures are part of the local architectural and historic relevance and celebrated as such by the field aficionados of national architecture. But Columbus Ohio is progressing these days, the city just can't seem to make things work like older established U.S. cities have, (long story), and sad.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
One has to realize that the first astronauts were basically daredevils. At the beginning of the space program none of these men had any assurances of their safety, or what to expect at all. They were truly fly by wire no excuses kind of dudes.

Absolutely-well said

They were basically human guinea pigs- none of this stuff had ever been done before....

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Well put!
I lived in Columbus for about 3 years. created, and lost quite a few wonderful memories there.
Lived on 8th and HIgh.
So Columbus is faring well?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Thank you kindly for that additional information.
It's worth clicking through BTW, for anyone else reading this thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Oh Columbus is fairing well these days, OSU is undergoing a construction boom expanding the university's hospitals, I work just across King Avenue from that area, and reside there in Victorian Village. Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join