It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mineral Discovered - Wassonite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

NASA and co-researchers from the United States, South Korea and Japan have found a new mineral named "Wassonite" in one of the most historically significant meteorites recovered in Antarctica in December 1969.
Source

This is pretty awesome, and the science-nerd inside of me got really excited when I saw the headlines. So I thought I'd share

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
that's impressive!
a little piece of a time machine. i like the fact that we're still discovering in this advanced day and age.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Did anyone catch how small of a sample it was?
Geez who would've even found it if it hadn't been for a kickbutt microscope like that. Oh and I wonder if they can sythesize the mineral and what could its uses be?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

And there's still more unknown minerals left in the specimen!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

It will take a year minimum for frauds and charlatans to start selling Wassonite mineral drinks online.

Great article

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
"Wassonite is a mineral formed from only two elements, sulfur and titanium, yet it possesses a unique crystal structure that has not been previously observed in nature," said Nakamura-Messenger.

That is a compound of elements that formed a supposed mineral.

Wow, great that does not give it an age of 4.5 billion years, that is unless there was a made in what year stamp with it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38

Wow, great that does not give it an age of 4.5 billion years, that is unless there was a made in what year stamp with it.

Please read this.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

In 1969, members of the Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition discovered nine meteorites on the blue ice field of the Yamato Mountains in Antarctica. This was the first significant recovery of Antarctic meteorites and represented samples of several different types. As a result, the United States and Japan conducted systematic follow-up searches for meteorites in Antarctica that recovered more than 40,000 specimens, including extremely rare Martian and lunar meteorites.

I wonder how they would know a meteorite was from Mars ??
1969 was a big year for moon rocks..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Isnt there a formula someone can do to find out what a minerals properties might be ?
Is it magnetic, is it opaque, whats its electrical properties.....

PS: I know nothing about this just curious.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This finding inspired me to write a short story/thingie, I'm gonna just paste in my writing as a quote here because I don't know where else to post it, but I do want to share it with *somebody*, heh.

--------But this is unique.
--------This is unfamiliar, untouched, unperceived.

Yamato 691 is.
Yamato 691 reacts.
Yamato 691 does not sense in any human way, though Yamato 691 does indeed sense -- something.

--------The matrix, aligned by the energy of an ancient -- collision? ritual? birthing? -- is not quite natural.

Yamato 691 perceives an unremembered vibration.
Yamato 691 espies a new consciousness.
Yamato 691 echoes four and a half billion years of energetic discharge and absorption.

--------Layers of rock guard the sliver of crystallized sulfur and titanium, unrelenting in their duty for many ages.
--------The approximately eight-hundred and fifty nanometer shard is composed of curiously arranged atoms, breaking down into a harmony of photonic oscillation, a sentient melody reflected in wave functions.

Yamato 691 reverberates still from the pulse set by a logos at the beginning.
Yamato 691 quivers still from it's primal catalyst.
Yamato 691 offers the faint whispers of far-beyond-archaic entities.

--------The pattern is beautiful -- fractalized -- each iteration of the structure creating spaces of wavelengths of harmonics of the resonant frequencies of the previous iteration, creating a crystal that self-resonates -- is a mirror for its own vibration.
--------Yamato 691 is really just a rock. Just a conglomerate of quite average elements.

Yamato 691 feels (even) the pressure of drills and blades penetrating its exoskeletal layers.
Yamato 691 does not distinguish life from nonlife, only change from nonchange.

--------But geometry lends its preternatural perfection to the realm of particles and waves, it imbues the profane with the sacred. It is the harmony from which nature emanates and the harmony which nature radiates.
--------Yamato 691 is just as alive as any other rock.

Yamato 691 experiences the satori of self-awareness.

--------Life can be reduced all the way down to predestiny. Subjects rejected and deflected into objects.
--------Consciousness must be atomic in its origin, a function of the convenient arrangement of carbon atoms and electrical current.

Yamato 691 recognizes its own existence.
Yamato 691 wills itself into being.

--------Or perhaps this tangible world was manifested by a sacred geometry, a force of cognizance, an awareness.
--------Perhaps these particles are to be reduced to pure intelligence.
--------Perhaps this physical form is the result of a corporeal concoction organizing itself according to the natural way, the rhythm of life, the eternal Tao.

Yamato 691 creates its own vibration.
Yamato 691 spawns its own universe.
Yamato 691 lives.

edit on 7-4-2011 by tetsuo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join