It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transocean: Safety Wording 'May Have Been Insensitive'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Transocean: Safety Wording 'May Have Been Insensitive'

www.cnbc.com

Transocean acknowledged that its description of 2010 as its "best year in safety" despite a blowout that sank one of its rigs, killing 11 workers and causing a huge oil spill, might be insensitive.

In a filing with U.S. financial regulators on Friday, Transocean said it achieved an "exemplary" safety record last year as measured by its total recordable incident rate and total potential severity rate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Insensitive? How about a big fat stinking lie that demonstrates how little corporate America thinks about the citizens of this country.

Transocean is the company that owned BP's Deep Horizon well - the one that blew up killing 11 workers and caused the largest oil spill in US history, destroyed the environment, and the livelihood of millions of Gulf Coast residents.

Apparently these #'ers just gave the finger to the Congressional hearing on the oil spill. Didn't even bother showing up. Instead they claimed last year was their best ever in safety performance and gave their top executives a "safety bonus".

I think it's time for "clawbacks". Using one of these...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/397817199a49.jpeg[/atsimg]

www.cnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

He really couldnt have said something that insenstive, could he??? No...... you must be joking surely you have to be joking

Noooooo..........., you are correct. It looks like he REALLY did say something as absurd and insensitive as that.
But why am i not suprised ? Well,,,, it seems that the world is full of disgusting people like him.
Some of the people on this world make me sick

S&F for showing lifes ugly side.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

I fail entirely to see how the persons at Transocean responsible for either saftey, OR PR can have formulated this statement. It is categoricaly impossible for any saftey record which includes the death of eleven people, and the horrific damage done to the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people, marine life, and the general ecology of the area, not to mention the wider implications of the spill, to be considered as anything other than bloody appalling.
My personal attitude to this sort of thing is , that the very moment someone dies on your watch, your record is worth nothing, no matter how long its been since your last lethality. These corperate fools think that life is cheap, and I for one am sick of thier callous ignorance of reality in this and other similar matters.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Transocean said it achieved an "exemplary" safety record last year as measured by its total recordable incident rate and total potential severity rate.

Uh-huh, so despite the potential severity (due to the dysfunctionality of the equipment rate) I guess?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Saying their statement "might be insensitive" is insensitive in itself.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Unbelievable...totally unreal.

Now we see what many people have been saying about the pure, unadulterated greed and disdain for human life in the oil industry is actually the honest and whole truth of the matter.

Something should be done to bring these arseholes to account. I would break up their companies into *MUCH* smaller operations, with an equal number of environmentalists and humanists to oil arsewipes on the (smaller) company's board of directors and decision makers.

I'd also fix public energy prices for the foreseeable future, and triple the tax on the oil companies - costing them much more of their 'dividends' (which would hopefully persuade investors to go elsewhere - renewables for example) and preventing then passing the costs onto the consumers in terms of higher gas and energy prices.

That should wipe the arrogant smiles off their fat faces.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Personaly speaking, I believe the oil companies are a pretty much moraly retarded bunch. In the US , with the gulf spill, they got a serious wake up call, and they destroyed lives and habitats in order to recieve that wake up call, but without wanting to sound crass, the damage they do to less developed nations over long periods, far outweighs the human cost, and the ecological damage done to the gulf coastal areas.
The only reason they are getting attention now, is because they did what they do everywhere else, forgetting that they were in United States waters, and not in some barely developed nations back yard.
The real stinger is that these companies cannot be punished adequately to thier crimes, due to thier control over oil stocks. It has become the case where they have more power than governments to effect change in a nations financial operations, and that scenario is a nightmare for any democrat (and I do not mean democrat as in the party, I mean democrat as in a person who believe in democracy, in the power of the people over the state).

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Brazil's motto is 'Drill Baby, Drill...While America Sits.'

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Insensitive? How about a big fat stinking lie that demonstrates how little corporate America thinks about the citizens of this country.

Well part of that is because "corporate America" is a total misnomer. Most of them are multinational and have no loyalty whatsoever to any nation. The want a global trade union, and they are buying the politicians of sovereign nations and undermining the sovereignty of those nations to get it. Or, as in the case of Iraq, Libya, and eventually Iran, overthrowing sovereign governments to get it.

Your politicians that are accepting money from corporations are actively engaged in treason against your country. What the multinationals want is the destruction of nations as nations, and the creations of trade zones on the way to a global trade union. So your politicians are actively engaged in the dissolution of the United States of America as a free and sovereign nation.

And this isnt limited to America, its happening all over the globe. Corporations are taking over nations by getting them to willingly join Unions and then undermining the sovereignty and economies of those nations. WHEN the dollar collapses, it will be purposeful. To make Americans scared and desperate enough to accept the offer of a new currency.

new topics

top topics

join