It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 8 Coming Soon (sigh)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Im still an XP hold out, Windows 7 is ok but I still prefer XP but now we have 8 coming, they say sometime in 2012 but im sure itll be pushed up, just like the other past releases.

And its going to implement the "ribbon" feature that Office 07 uses, a feature that I really dont like.

Haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet? Brace yourself: Work on Windows 8 is well under way. A pre-release version of Microsoft's next operating system -- which isn't officially scheduled to launch until 2012 -- reportedly leaked onto the Internet over the weekend, leading to an explosion of speculation among Microsoft watchers about what new versions and features the company may be developing. Chief among the features pinpointed is the widespread implementation of the Ribbon interface, a dynamic, icon-filled replacement for traditional menus unveiled with Microsoft Office 2007. Though controversial, the interface garnered rave reviews and became a love-it-or-leave-it reason to upgrade to the latest productivity suite.

Source

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Actually this is old news, before the first copy of win7 dropped online the were talking win 8 and 9 (9 being for servers i think)

I hate that ribbon interface, took me 5 minutes to print.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This will be the end of the world

Oh how I loathe anything Windows lol

Let's hope it doesn't suck and works without errors all the time. You would think they would get it right by now. Also I hope they stop copying Apple in the cool looks dept..Windows 7 looked like Apples OS..copy cats

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I just recently installed Ubuntu on my second partition but I could not get it to boot up.. I forgot the error and have since just deleted the Ubuntu folders and will probably just try Red Hat and see if that works.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

lol mac....

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I haven't got over Vista yet.

XP is still my fav

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't know about you, but windows 7 hasn't crashed for me in the past two years once.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
8/8/2012
4-4-4

Worlds gonna end on that date guys, srsly

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
They got it right with 7 - VERY solid and almost as snappy as XP (especially if you turn off fancy UI stuff) but more modern. I actually forget that Vista even exists sometimes - in my mind it went from XP to 7 even though I actually used Vista from its beta to 7's beta. I had graphics glitches so frequently that I thought my video card was on its way out. Tried every version of video drivers, motherboard chipset drivers, etc. The problems disappeared completely when I went to 7. UAC is still the first thing I turn off though, even on 7 installs.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This will be the end of the world

Oh how I loathe anything Windows lol

Let's hope it doesn't suck and works without errors all the time. You would think they would get it right by now. Also I hope they stop copying Apple in the cool looks dept..Windows 7 looked like Apples OS..copy cats

I don't understand the Microsoft hate... before Microsoft homogenised the PC OS and abstracted the hardware from developers, life as a developer and user was absolute hell. They are pretty much the reason why personal computers proliferated into nearly every home, school and business. Also, there will never be such thing as a bug-free OS. No non-trivial software is bug free, and an OS is certainly non-trivial! Couple that with an near-infinite combination of hardware that it was to run on and you get even more issues. Personally, the PCs I've built run like greased-lighting, are as stable as a rock and are built for a decent price. It's all about using good quality components, tested configs and not skimping on any part of the chain

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hate Microsoft, love Ubuntu, hated Ubuntu 10.10 so now have LinuxMint 10 running on 2 laptops, waiting for Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 11.04

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

They keep bloating everything with more features I don't want or need, the OS as well as Office.

Hardware support is sometimes an issue too with OS upgrades.

My newer build quad core has built in sound which worked at first with XP, Vista or Win 7, but is a little flaky now. So I tried putting in my old Soundblaster PCI card and disabled the motherboard sound. That works in XP, but it won't work in Win 7 or Vista, I don't know why they wouldn't support older hardware as popular as Soundblaster, and of course soundblaster included the latest drivers for XP when I bought it, but Vista and 7 weren't even out then so it has no drivers for that. So I ended up going back to XP, and I like XP better actually.

If Microsoft repeats their cycle, Windows 8 will be a bomb and Windows 9 will be good, fixing all the problems with Windows 8.

That was the cycle with Vista/7, and with XP and its predecessor.

edit on 4-4-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Windows XP predecessor was one of the most stable and fastest OS's theyve made.. I stayed with windows 98 SE for as long as I could, until I was literally forced by MS and Software/Hardware makers to leave it behind for XP.
I am happy with XP, except for one thing, I miss being able to boot to a true DOS Prompt.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

The reason that have removed that capability is it is kind of redundant. There is more than one way to do it any more. If you don’t need native real hardware access via command line…. You could just install vertualbox and install dos 6.22 on that.

If you need command line running on real hardware.

Just install a second hard drive.
Around 2 gig or so in size.
Install dos 6.22 on that.
Setup windows for dual boot using easyBCD or the like.

When you start up the computer, you will be given an option to start win7, or dos 6.22.

Or you could set it up to have options to boot to win 95, win3.11 win xp, or anything you wanted.

If you want large hard drive support on dos, then install win95/98 and change the bootgui setting in boot.ini to “0” and when you boot to the win95/98 installation then you drop right to command line.

You often don’t even need to set up BCD to make windows give you a menu option for booting to the other systems. A lot of computers have a BIOS hotkey that you can hit while booting, to give you an option to boot from the OS you want. My HP has such an option. When I hit the hotkey, it gives me the option of booting off of any bootable partition it finds, on any hard drive and off of a USB, cd or floppy.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Windows XP predecessor was one of the most stable and fastest OS's theyve made.
You're the first person I've heard say that, most people I talk to think XP was much more stable than Windows 98.

Personally I had zillions of crashes with Win98 and all that stopped when I upgraded to Windows 2000 which is very similar to XP.

I think the file system of NTFS used in 2000 and XP may be part of the reason for greater stability along with the core architecture.

By the way OS performance is going down since Windows 2000, here's a sample of OS performance:

www.testfreaks.com...

I like to use Crystalmark because it basically tests all aspects of the system and then also gives you an overall Mark or Score for your system that you can then compare to others.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b82641992c17.png[/atsimg]

To me, it looks as though Windows Xp is still the best choice for an operating system. Sure the others look nicer, but in terms of performance I think Xp is the one to go with on average.

They didn't test 2000 but if they had I'm pretty sure it would top the list even faster than XP, my own tests have shown that. But I tend to agree of the three shown, XP definitely has advantages.

Windows 7 does better in the multimedia scores though, as shown in that link.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I really don't understand why so many people hate Windows 7, often without even using it. Stability? Hah, I have personally never had a crash with 7, even though I've been using it since the beta. I have to fix XP machines almost daily at work while we have yet to run into issues with the Windows 7 machines we've put out thus far.

There was 3 years between Vista and 7, and there will be 3 years between 7 and 8 if they manage to get it released in 2012. Look at how big of a difference 3 years made for Vista to 7.

There are some pretty big additions to Windows 8 though that do warrant a new release, primarily support for ARM processors.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
IMO. Linux is a great server and development platform but only a mediocre desktop. You spend more time configuring and fixing that using. I do love the knowledge belonging to the world theme of open source.

Apple is overpriced and is just an eye candy UI running on *NIX variant. Apple makes their own hardware and controls all distribution channels. there is no partner model.

XP and Windows 7 are both stable. Vista was great if you had good hardware. Microsoft makes a good product, enables their partners and affords people a chance to make money on their platforms.

Chromium died on the vine as a Linux variant.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I just installed Windows 7 on my HP athlon 4600 dual core,2GB memory,320HD PC. It makes my CPU
run hotter than XP when running one video player. Temps hit 60+ C. That causes my fan to go from a quiet 2100 rpm to 2200 to 2700 rpm noisy.
I am thinking of going back to XP.
Would adding memory help?
Any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I struggled with Win7 x64 on my new laptop for a couple of months mainly in terms of getting drivers to work with some of my hardware (USB interface) but ultimately just gave up on it, zapped the entire Win7 partition and set it up with XP 32 bit. It runs like a dream now and everything works even though I did pay a penalty in terms of available RAM by going back to a 32 bit OS.

I'll now be sticking with XP until I need to use hardware that only gets supported by a later OS which, unfortunately, won't be long. With XP I've never heard of any DRM issues and that's perhaps a driving force behind the OS upgrades (it all comes back to money as always).

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy
I just installed Windows 7 on my HP athlon 4600 dual core,2GB memory,320HD PC. It makes my CPU
run hotter than XP when running one video player. Temps hit 60+ C. That causes my fan to go from a quiet 2100 rpm to 2200 to 2700 rpm noisy.
I am thinking of going back to XP.
Would adding memory help?
Any suggestions?

Assuming you've made sure the case is clean and free of dust, adding more RAM could help, but you wouldn't see a huge gain unless you're doing something memory intensive. More RAM wouldn't reduce fan noise regardless. An Athlon 4600+ X2 is a pretty old CPU at this point and I'm guessing the system has stock cooling in it too. The biggest change you could make to reduce noise would be to use a better heatsink and fan on the CPU most likely. That's about all I can guess at without actually seeing the system for myself.

People's biggest complaints about upgrading OS'es is almost always about higher hardware requirements. Windows 7 is a more advanced OS, so of course it's going to have higher resource requirements.

Pligrum, drivers for different OS'es are almost always a problem with the low quality manufacturers like HP, Dell and the like. No surprises there.
edit on 4-4-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join