It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans Serial Killers And Apparitions - Early 19th and 20th Centuries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Nawlins - (that's how you pronounce it)

The Big Easy.

My old Bohemian refuge. I lived there for nearly a decade and spend many a drunk night wandering those dark dank streets and alleys. If you have ever been there, you know the smell I am referring to, the smell of old.

Myself while cutting through Pirates Alley next to St. Louis Cathedral felt an ice cold breeze come through the alley in August. It's about 98F at night in summer. I was by myself at about 4am and hurried out to Chartres St.

That's about all of the weirdness I encountered there myself.

The city has a rich history, as many of you already know. Founded in 1718, it has been home to many famous people from pirates and Voodoo queens, to Zulu kings and jazz musicians.

Napoleon himself had a house built but died before he got the chance to move in. It's a restaurant now called The Napoleon House. They say that place has it's fair share of ghost as well.

This is a thread covers some people and 'things' that the city would probably like to forget.

Massacre at the Sultan's Palace

The Gardette-LaPrete House located at 716 Dauphine street in the French Quarter was bought by Jean Baptiste LaPrete in 1830.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ada09a64d9e3.jpg[/atsimg]

He needed to occupy the space when he was not in town as it was a vacation home away from his plantation.

The Sultan answered the advertisement and rented the entire property and moved in with complete of entourage of harem's and loyal eunuch.

Legend has it that he was actually the brother of a Turkish Sultan who had made off with some of the real Sultan's fortune, including the harem's, but very rich none the less.

It was said that there was lavish all night absinthe and opium parties with the elite of New Orleans and the streets smelt of incense and wild music was heard till dawn.

The neighborhood got used to it and life carried on.

Until one morning a neighbor was strolling down the sidewalk and noticed a large amount of blood running out of the house onto the street.

(I took this picture myself when I lived there)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/80a2055213e7.jpg[/atsimg]

When the police went in they discovered the entire population of the house had been slain and dismembered. The Sultan was found having been buried alive in the courtyard.

The quarter is a very densely populated area, to me the killers had to be some serious assassins. They murdered everyone and cut them into pieces, made off with everything of value virtually emptying the place.

Theories that the real Sultan had a band of henchmen come to reclaim what he had stolen or pirates took advantage of an opportunity.

It was never solved.

It is said to be one of the most haunted place in NOLA with witnesses stating they have seen the ghost of the slain impostor and can hear screams, music and incense coming from the house at times.

I will include two more photos that I took while living there.

It is one imposing place.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08c454bb32dd.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e6bb672f05e7.jpg[/atsimg]

The Devil Man

In 1938 in Algiers the Devil Man was first spotted. It was said that he "rode on the air, wrecked bars, and insulted women".

He was described as having " black horns, bright pink ears shaped like sunflowers, eyes like a chicken, and could shape shift to a baboon before your eyes". He announced himself as the Devil.

The story starts with a couple driving home on night. On the way home a strange person stopped them at an intersection on the way and asked for a ride.

They refused.

They drove for several miles only to see him again walking, they got rid of the booze at this point. They drove
10 more miles only to be stopped by the stranger again, this time he did not ask, he simply changed into the devil before their eyes.

I am sure they floored it at this point.

The Devil Man made a last appearance to them a few miles further down the road, this time on a brown horse.

The couple reported to the police and there were stories that the police met him, fired shots only to have the bullets handed back to them by "hairy hands".

He started appearing in bars around New Orleans and harassing women. Apparently he liked to party. The city was in a frenzy by this time as tales of the Devil and his drinking at a certain bar.

The Bar was packed from then on.

There was an arrest of a man from Arkansas that told the police that King Zulu advisor to Neptune had sent him there.

On the night of September 13, 1938 the police received over 200 calls of reports of the Devil incarnate was getting free drinks at different bars all over town at the same time by showing the bartenders his horns.

Problem was, 'he' was in jail.

He released a statement to the public.

' My name is Clark Carleton, and I am the Devil Man but greater than the Devil. I came from the hills of Arkansas on September 6, 1938. I walked under the stars and Neptune guided me through the darkness of the night. I reached Port Allen, Louisiana, and from there I rode the ferry into Baton Rouge; then I came to New Orleans, still under the guidance of Neptune and possibly one of his assistant stars. I stopped at the Page Hotel. I came to New Orleans as the sun came down in the skies.

' Yes, they got me in jail, but it's my spirit that is haunting the people, because I have not been treated right by the police.

That's why I'm going to keep on troubling them. If I wanted to, I could get out of sight right now I could disappear away from all of you/ At this point a policeman offered the information that Clark had 'disappeared' one day, breaking jail, and had been recaptured.

'You want to know how I got my powers? Well, Neptune came to me in the form of a fishhook in June and May of 1937. I was reading my Bible at the time. Oh, yes, I'm a Baptist man, but I believe in the Divine, too. Neptune told me to walk straight ahead, that I would find a two-headed man stranded on a rock. I found him but he disappeared. Then I knew I had the power.

'I went to fourth grade in school. I ain't no amnesia victim, but I don't remember anything about my people or anything else about myself. Tonight I'm going to divide myself with Neptune and maybe when you come back I will be able to tell you more. But, please tell everybody that I'm not going to hurt anyone, my spirit is just passing around New Orleans and Algiers like a bird because I have been mistreated by the police.'

As Brother Peter Williams, ebon pillar of Mother Keller's church, said with immortal wisdom and magnificent tolerance:

'It is our policy to give every man a hearing, be he devil or baboon.'

excerpts taken from archive.org - Gumbo Ya Ya

The Axeman Of New Orleans

The Axeman of New Orleans was a serial killer that terrorized the city from May 1918 to October 1919.

He killed twelve people during this time including pregnant women and infants.

His MO was always the same.

The killings started in the Little Italy section of town and originally was thought to be a mob hit, the killings continued.

There were rumors that he was spotted dressed in drag, what is it with that?

The News paper ran an article:

Who is the Axeman; and what are his motives?

Is the fiend who butchered the Cortimiglias in Gretna Sunday the same man who committed the Maggio, Bessumer and Romano crimes? Is he the same who has made all the attempts on other families?

If so, is he madman, robber, vendetta agent, sadist or some supernatural spirit of evil?

If a madman, why so cunning and careful in the execution of his crimes? If a robber, why the wanton shedding of blood and the fact that money and valuables have often been left in full view? If a vendetta agent of the Mafia, why include among victims persons of nationalities other than Italian?

The possibilities in searching for the motives in this extraordinary series of ax butcheries are unlimited. The records show no details of importance which vary. There is always the door panel as a means of entrance, always the axe, always the frightful effusion of blood. In these three essentials the work of the Axeman is practically identical.

His reply:

Then, on Friday, March 14, 1919, another newspaper received a letter from a person who declared he was the Axeman. The letter read as follows :

Hell, March 13, 1919
Editor of the Times-Picayune New Orleans, La.

Esteemed Mortal:

They have never caught me and they never will. They have never seen me, for I am invisible, even as the ether that sur- rounds your earth. I am not a human being, but a spirit and a fell demon from the hottest hell. I am what you Orleanians and your foolish police call the Axeman.

When I see fit, I shall come again and claim other victims. I alone know whom they shall be. I shall leave no clue except my bloody axe, besmeared with the blood and brains of he whom I have sent below to keep me company.

If you wish you may tell the police to be careful not to rile me. Of course, I am a reasonable spirit. I take no offense at the way they have conducted their investigations in the past. In fact, they have been so utterly stupid as to amuse not only me, but His Satanic Majesty, Francis Josef, etc. But tell them to beware. Let them not try to discover what I am, for it were better that they were never born than to incur the wrath of the Axeman. I don't think there is any need of such a warning, for I feel sure the police will always dodge me, as they have in the past. They are wise and know how to keep away from all harm.

Undoubtedly, you Orleanians think of me as a most horrible murderer, which I am, but I could be much worse if I wanted to. If I wished, I could pay a visit to your city every night. At will I could slay thousands of your best citizens, for I am in close relationship with the Angel of Death.

Now, to be exact, at 11:15 (earthly time) on next Tuesday night, I am going to pass over New Orleans. In my infinite mercy, I am going to make a little proposition to you people. Here it is :

I am very fond of jazz music, and I swear by all the devils in the nether regions that every person shall be spared in whose home a jazz band is in full swing at the time I have just mentioned. If everyone has a jazz band going, well, then, so much the better for you people. One thing is certain and that is that some of those people who do not jazz it on Tuesday night (if there be any) will get the axe.

Well, as I am cold and crave the warmth of my native Tartarus, and as it is about time that I leave your earthly home, I will cease my discourse. Hoping that thou wilt publish this, that it may go well with thee, I have been, am and will be the worst spirit that ever existed either in fact or realm of fancy.

THE AXEMAN

He would spare them if there was a jazz band playing in their home or bar.

The dance halls were packed to capacity, hundreds of bands played private parties at homes and there were no murders that night.

There was even a theme song printed on sheet music in his honor, for the life of me I can't find a copy but here is a photo.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce5dc9e4f261.gif[/atsimg]

There were three more murders in the coming months.

Then he vanished.

Archive.org

Axeman of New Orleans WIKI

I hope you guy's like the stories. These are all stories I heard while living there and wanted to share.

Les Bon Temps Roule!

edit on 4-4-2011 by timewalker because: MAC

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I actually heard somewhere that JACK THE RIPPER actually made his way to NO after he disappeared..what a dark history for such an iconic city

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I did not know that.

There is a lot of dark history in that city.

It taught me the street smarts I have today.

NYC was cake after living there.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

i would have loved to vist it before the whole Katrina mess but live there?probably not unless i was paid too...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

That's what everyone says.

Until you do it.

It gets in your blood.

It really is a great city.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I have never heard of the axeman or the devil spirit man with horns before, Thanks for this fantastic trip you took me on, New Orleans is a very fascinating place, there is or was small part of Australia there, Ballarat Victoria sold most of its wrought iron lace work to New Orleans to help finance the war.

And I’m even more intrigued now, I’ve always had a big fascination for Jack the ripper, it would be interesting to see if any murders took place after the killings stopped in London.

Love and Harmony
Whateva

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Your welcome.

I am curious about Jack myself.

New Orleans would seem to be his kind of town and I would not doubt it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I wish I had scanned this to put in the OP.

I took this at Mardis Gras several years back partying at about 9am on St. Charles Ave..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1615af20251a.jpg[/atsimg]

It must have been later in the morning.

Zulu then Rex
edit on 4-4-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

First of all let me say that I LOVE the french quarter. I hope to buy a condo there soon. This is one of my favorite 'ghost stories'. You can still see the Sultan's head floating in the hallways... No matter how they have tried to reconfigure the layout, the head appears along the same lay line. Another favorite of mine is 'The Butcher.' I can't get the delivery right so I'm not going to talk about it now.

I would just like to add a little about the good ole' Sultan... First of all, the police did not get clued in from the blood running out of the property. You see (not to feed into stereotypes here or anything) but the wives were very nosy in Nawlins at the time and more so around Sultan's harem. So much so that the Sultan had to post a guard on each sidewalk of the property to keep the lookie-loo's away from the windows. The police had to respond numerous times to the neighborhood wives claiming something or another was going on in there. Of course it was just the Sultan's 'normal business'. Finally a judge had to rule; whereas the Sultan did not own the sidewalk, he did have the same right to privacy as any other citizen. Thus allowing the eunuch guards to remain on the sidewalk. What did clue the police in was the wives saying the guards were gone and the noise had stopped. Monday morning a warrant was granted to search the property and that is when the police found everyone had been brutally murdered. The Sultan was missing and it was assumed that he went mad and killed everybody. A week later, one of the junior detectives looking over the property noticed a dog poking around and found a couple of feet sticking up in the garden. Upon closer examination the team found out that it was the Sultan, buried alive upside down without a head. They were able to deduct through cunning police work that the man posing as the Sultan was not Sultan at all, but the Sultan's brother who ran off to New Orleans with his stolen loot. The Sultan came back to take his harem girls to another property, but met with obviously ineffective resistance.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LuisCyfer

I did not even know about the head missing.

I don't get how he could be buried alive without a head?

Thanks for the addition. Love a good legend.

I have a hard boiled egg for you.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

i watched a documentary show think about JACK and it ended up that his figerprint was foungd all over the united states...they say he even made it to L.A...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I live in Lousiana, not in New Orleans though but it is interesting and I'd like to point out that if the Sultans brother was buried upside down without a head doesn't that lead to another folklore of vampyres? How some fear that if you don't bury a body without the said vampyres head and turn the body upside down to drain the blood the vampyre would come back to life and be rejuvenated? I dunno why I thought about that but I read something about such a custom in New Orleans somewheres. Though I believe such a thing was done in a coffin and not in such a groutesque manner. Good thread though!!!! Though some of the information sounds dodgy it ish just a legend ^_^

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Hmmm....

Crime writer Colin Wilson speculates the Axeman could have been "Joseph Momfre, a man shot to death in Los Angeles in December, 1920 by the widow of Mike Pepitone, the Axeman's last known victim". Wilson's theory has been widely repeated in other true crime books and web sites. However, true crime writer Michael Newton searched New Orleans and Los Angeles public, police and court records as well as newspaper archives, and failed to find any evidence of a man with the name "Joseph Momfre" (or any reasonable facsimile) having been assaulted or killed in Los Angeles.

WIKI

Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rishiana

Yeah,

Some legend involved. You know how the grapevine works. Chinese Whispers.

I am sure the stories have been altered through the years, some factual evidence in all of them though.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I wanted to add this picture of Pirate Alley where I felt the ice cold breeze.

Does this look like a place a ghost would hang around?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c512bc39725.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
reply to post by Rishiana

Yeah,

Some legend involved. You know how the grapevine works. Chinese Whispers.

I am sure the stories have been altered through the years, some factual evidence in all of them though.
Of course, of course. Though to be honest, this "IMPOSTER" Sultan would have been a very likely cadidate to be targeted as a vampyre because of his love of parties and music and on top of it all, most of the goings on being held at night instead of day time. ~Shrugs~ It would have made for a great novel too if written in such a manner.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

To be honest..... its a place I'm almost drawn to actually go to myself with my bf, possibly at dusk when there is still some daylight to see what I would pick up. I have a feeling there have been many horrors in such a alleyway.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
@Rishiana
(Sorry my trackball is broken on my bb. I can't reply to.)
Would you be implying that the pseudo Sultan may have visited the Cafe Dumond to eat sugary beignets in an attempt to get the blood odor out of his mouth? How very astute.
The sultans mansion is a stop on the haunted history tour for the discombobulated floating head and a stop on the ghost and vampire tour for the back yard burial.
Another of my favorite vampyre stories there is the Arch Diosys located near the cathedral.
There was a series of unexplained murders ending up with dead bodies showing up at the back gate of the Arch Dyosis. These bodies had neck wounds and were drained of blood which was very hard to do with the big bulky equipment of the time. Circa 1890's?
Apparently a detective wanted to search the Arch Dyosis and through chain of command it was discovered that not even the president of the united states has clearance to enter the attic. This seemed odd to the locals and rumors of vampyres living in the attic began to circulate along with rumors of Vatican vampyric activity. Fascinating story backed up with a lot of historical fact. Oddly enough this case is still open. Wish I could remember the whole story, but that would ruin the tour if you ever decide to look up spirit tours.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LuisCyfer

Interesting about the attic.

Funny enough when I lived there, I never went on the tours.

I would eavesdrop sometimes when I would see them, usually down by Ursuline Convent as that was the area I usually hung out in.

Headless huh.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Your delivery of the stories was fantastic. Where can I find similar urban legends and ect?

Not saying the stories aren't true just that they are more of a urban legend type thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join