It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US and Egyptian Special Forces Found Secretly Training Libya Rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

US and Egyptian special forces have reportedly been offering covert armed training to rebel fighters in the battle for Libya, Al Jazeera has been told. An unnamed rebel source related how he had undergone training in military techniques at a "secret facility" in eastern Libya. He told our correspondent Laurence Lee, reporting from the rebel-stronghold of Benghazi, that he was sent to fire Katyusha rockets but was given a simple, unguided version of the rocket instead.

Does this surprise anyone? I wouldn't be surprised if we also had Black Ops teams slinking around Tripoli doing god knows what. Actually, I would be surprised if we didn't have a clandestine operation in place to try and put a bullet in Gadaffi's head.

SOURCE

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Special forces operatives are known for these duties for training the civilians into organisable guerilla forces. This isn't anything new.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is no secret. When I was in Iraq we trained some civilians.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
Special forces operatives are known for these duties for training the civilians into organisable guerilla forces. This isn't anything new.

"It isn't anything new" is even more reason to make a very loud fuss about it.

And this issue may be relatively trivial in the long run but a lot of "fussing" is bound to go down anyway at this point.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Just out of curiosity what is so bad about it. I agree it has its cons, but also pros. Militaries have been doing this for centuries.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ill add also that I don't think we should be doing this in Libya. As it has been proven, they have ties to militants who are the opposition we were fighting elsewhere. That's a huge con in my opinion. A pro would be we don't have to use as much infantry as we would if we did not train them for combat.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
Just out of curiosity what is so bad about it. I agree it has its cons, but also pros.

If you already know there are cons, why even ask?

What do you think is positive about interfering in another country's business covertly and without the consent of their people, and without the people being trained even knowing fully what they're getting involved with?

Militaries have been doing this for centuries.

They've been killing people since the dawn of recorded history. Thus rendering mankind in an infant, extremely immature stage of development.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

Well, it's bad because it PROVES that this "revolution" was planned with U.S (and Egyptian) involvement.

Therefore, the people who think that they're doing this in the name of Democracy are sadly mistaken.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Because I wanted to know your opinion. I like to hear both sides of an arguement, not just the side I feel is right. Thousands upon thousands of their people are being raped and slaughtered by their leader. Im sure they are grateful of our help as we are providing them with training and support.

Militaries have also protected us as well.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

How does training the rebels prove that we caused a revolution?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

"It isn't anything new" is even more reason to make a very loud fuss about it.

And this issue may be relatively trivial in the long run but a lot of "fussing" is bound to go down anyway at this point.

I think you need to have a read of what special forces units actually do overseas before even trying to make a spectacle of what I have to say about this topic.

They have been known in history to train the native people of a country in warfare time and time again. Maybe you think it is wrong? Maybe we shouldn't be in involved in the of uprising over in libya? But the fact of the matter is that special forces units have been doing this over in Iraq, Afghanistan, regions in Africa and many other countries before the media even contrived it as being some kind of secret in this article.
edit on 3-4-2011 by nahsik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

I guess you didn't catch the part where I think this is wrong, and not an appropriate policy at all.

It doesn't matter whether or not it's a secret secret, or an open secret, it's still wrong to be involving ourselves in such a conflict of interest.

new topics

top topics

join