It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Down-Syndrome"-What's that pair contain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
So, you, me, everyone on Earth (that we know to be human and healthy) have 23 chromosome pairs. Down-Syndrome, or Trisomy-21, is the lack of a single pair of chromosomes, leaving the cognitively challenged individual with 21 pairs of chromosomes.

My question correlates this annotated in doctrine with the Human Genome Projects recently discovered 254 unique and extraterrestrial genes of unknown origins that separate 'us' from Rhesus monkeys.

How many, of those 254 genes of unknown origin, are contained within that single pairing of chromosomes? If anyone knows, please let's share this information.

I'm simply conducting research and picking the minds of other individuals VERSED in scientific methods. Please do not respond if you have yet to attend an institute of higher learning (college, university, secondary school abroad) and spare those of us with educations from having to sift through pages and pages of your B.S.-less B.S.

[if you don't get that joke...also, please do not reply]

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
So, you, me, everyone on Earth (that we know to be human and healthy) have 23 chromosome pairs. Down-Syndrome, or Trisomy-21, is the lack of a single pair of chromosomes, leaving the cognitively challenged individual with 21 pairs of chromosomes.

My question correlates this annotated in doctrine with the Human Genome Projects recently discovered 254 unique and extraterrestrial genes of unknown origins that separate 'us' from Rhesus monkeys.

How many, of those 254 genes of unknown origin, are contained within that single pairing of chromosomes? If anyone knows, please let's share this information.

I'm simply conducting research and picking the minds of other individuals VERSED in scientific methods. Please do not respond if you have yet to attend an institute of higher learning (college, university, secondary school abroad) and spare those of us with educations from having to sift through pages and pages of your B.S.-less B.S.

[if you don't get that joke...also, please do not reply]

down syndrome = Extra chromosome two of the 21st I mean
edit on 1-4-2011 by Mandelbrot2012 because: (no reason given)
But its kinda like a riddle whats the Punch line ?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Chromosome 21 map viewer

i do not understand your premise. i hope you find what youre looking for.

ETA:
oh, yes. i see the mistake now. second reply is correct. trisomy means they have three copies of chromosome 21 instead of the normal 2.
edit on 1-4-2011 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Correct, so there is a missing chromosomal pair. The 21st is repeated in place of the 22nd and in more serious cases the 23rd as well.

My questions is which, if any, of those 254 unique genes found by the Human Genome Project to be of unknown origin and speculated to be not of this world, are contained within that 21st pair? When they replace the 22nd or 23rd, what are they replacing? If they are simply repeated, do those specific genes have anything to do with the syndromes 'handicaps'?

I fell onto this idea while I was sitting in an education course after I read the Genome Report of the unique genes and thought to myself about the uniqueness of said genes and what, if any, roll do they play?\

I guess I'm still formulating my theory, so I've invited you to join in on it so that we may build it cohesively...that is...if there is anything to even build upon. I'm spit-balling.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"Please do not respond if you have yet to attend an institute of higher learning (college, university, secondary school abroad"

"and spare those of us with educations from having to sift through pages and pages of your B.S.-less B.S."

What kind of an education do you have? Not that any of us other members will judge you! To talk to others like you are better than them comes across rather rude.

Just wanted to say that and be friendly no harm meant...Peace

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Qualifications:
BA in Psycholgy Masters in counseling
12 years of my career spent working with people with Devmtl. Disabilities
Inability to make heads or tails of the genome map
Grew up with a great aunt and uncle both with downs

Ask me about the psychology of a Down's individual or How best to effect behavioral change in said person.
Ask me about the personality characteristics found in such people that are generally absent or present in the population at large.
Those questions I can answer and may yet be of use depending on the responses of people that actually know how to read gene maps.
The OP is an interesting premise so I'm keeping my eye on it in case my skill set is useful.
Now you've got me thinking...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

no, it does not replace any other chromosome pair. it is literally a third chromosome. this happens due to disjunction, or the failure of separation of the sister chromatids of the mother or father gametes during meiosis.

downs syndrome has a total of 47 chromosomes, instead of 46. it is a gene dosage problem....phenotypes are very sensitive things, you know.

i think your premise is shot, bro.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
My sister is pregnant with a down-syndrome baby. Its been a traumatic experience for her when she found out, but she's resolved herself to it now and is enthusiastic about bringing this baby up in the best way possible!

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Hope everything goes well for you your sister and the family. I know the feeling and have a niece who is developmentally disabled and she's means the world to me.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain

Wrong. People with Down-Syndrome have 23 pairs of chromosomes and 1 extra chromosome (#21).

If you really have University education, then why are you not providing any references? You think everybody has just heard of recently discovered unique and "extraterrestrial" genes of unknown origin announced by Human Genome Project? I can tell by even not looking at their website that they've not made such an announcement.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Why is the focus here on Down syndrome? Down is not the only type of cognetive challenge regarding genome development. So before I give references I'd like to know where this is going. Is this strictly about trisomy 21?
edit on 1-4-2011 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by Xterrain

no, it does not replace any other chromosome pair. it is literally a third chromosome. this happens due to disjunction, or the failure of separation of the sister chromatids of the mother or father gametes during meiosis.

downs syndrome has a total of 47 chromosomes, instead of 46. it is a gene dosage problem....phenotypes are very sensitive things, you know.

i think your premise is shot, bro.

I have a genetics text book and a BSc that agrees with this statement (though, with one slight correction - it is a nondisjunction, not a disjunction that leads to Down syndrome). It is simply a result of aberrations during the segregation phases in meiosis, leading to an extra chromosome.

Scientists don't choose names for the heck of it (most of the time). The 'tri' prefix in the name "Trisomy 21" should have told you your theory was based on a fallacy.

To the person who posted about their friend being pregnant with a Down syndrome child: you should tell her to take heart in the fact that, while impaired in some ways, children with Down syndrome are extremely happy children and take great pleasure in their surroundings, families, etc. I have a friend whose younger sister has Down syndrome. She's a very active person (she regularly goes to dance classes, etc.) and though she may sometimes be slightly awkward in social situations and doesn't always have the ability to comprehend certain things, she is very friendly and approachable and leads a enjoyable life amongst a family who love and support her very much.

top topics

join