It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Art: $600,000 Gurgling Toad Sculpture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Pentagon Art: $600,000 Gurgling Toad Sculpture

www.usnews.com

A $600,000 frog sculpture that lights up, gurgles "sounds of nature" and carries a 10-foot fairy girl on its back could soon be greeting Defense Department employees who plan to start working at the $700 million Mark Center in Alexandria, Va. this fall. That is unless a new controversy over the price tag of the public art doesn't torpedo the idea.
Decried as wasteful spending that will be seen by just a couple thousand of daily workers who arrive on bus shuttles, foes have tried to delay the decision, expected tomorrow, April 1. But in an E-mail, an Army Corps of Engineers official said th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Surely there was something better that they could have spent the money on....maybe donate it to people who have lost their jobs and cant pay their mortgage. Now that would have been useful....but no. Instead they waste 600k on an ugly piece of fecal matter under the premise of " Art". Really?

" According to the Corps, the artwork was the city's idea. A city official, however, said that Alexandria officials didn't demand art, but just asked that public artwork be included in the structure. What's more, the official said that the $600,000 is federal money, and that no Alexandria funds will pay for the art."

Federal money? And I wonder who gets to float the bill....tax payers perhaps? Where do ya think Federal money is derived? Pathetic!

www.usnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The very thought that the tax payers will support this alleged piece of art is just baffling to me.....

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hmmmm, I wonder if that thing is stuffed full of some illegal drugs or something... Who in their right minds would think it was ok to spend that kinda tax payers' money on a stupid sculpture when we are trillions in debt and in the middle of a depression? Ubelievable!
edit on 31-3-2011 by TKDRL2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My point exactly! Those funds could have been used for something positive...and yet they were trashed, ( as they seem to always be ) down the tubes, on something hideous!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Possible April fool's joke?
If not, then, well, that's the definition of stupid.
Besides, how ridiculous is the design idea haha

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great
Possible April fool's joke?
If not, then, well, that's the definition of stupid.
Besides, how ridiculous is the design idea haha

Atleast they could have found something worth looking at? Who ever made this, ( the artist ) needs to be shot!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
lol that is crazy!
For that kind of money the fairy should be a super robot that guards D.C. or at least dances.
Really though just more pork that comes out of the hard working American tax payers $.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
So?..

Tomahawk missiles are $1,000,000.00

Atleast this toad isn't killing anything but eye-sight.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fbabfd427466.gif[/atsimg]

RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
So?..

Tomahawk missiles are $1,000,000.00

Atleast this toad isn't killing anything but eye-sight.

You dont know that? Could give someone a heart attack?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I haven't been this pissed off at something in a long time. Not only is the cost of that sculpture rediculous, but how about the cost of that project as a whole? $700,000,000 Dollar Facility?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Are the makers / artist US citizens? Doesn't this just put money into local economy instead of blowing it up on some sand dunes somewhere.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Are the makers / artist US citizens? Doesn't this just put money into local economy instead of blowing it up on some sand dunes somewhere.

No, because the art is funded through federal dollars, as depicted in the article. Where do you think federal funding comes from? Hint: TAXPAYERS

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

This made me laugh bringing unwanted attention to me at the time. Yikes! toad sculpture! It reminds of of the defense buget costing 5000 for a nut and bolt. What a good way to invest our money. My boss has a frog that makes croaking noises at his front door when someone steps up to the door. It croaks but only costs about 35.00. Very funny but seriously we have some serious budget problems on the table. I think senator Boener (sp) should cut that one! No one wants to make the cuts. They will cut the disabled, education and who knows what else. Very odd! I ie your threads! Even though they probably arent meant to be funny. ROFL.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

This thread, wasn't a joke, but to make others aware of the needless spending funded by us....but can be depicted as comical. I often just laugh and ( face palm )!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It all has a esoteric contortion to it ...ie spiritual ....take the time and think ....peace
amazingdiscoveries.tv... in a biblical understanding it makes , sense

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This may be considered the "One percent art" rule. Some time ago someone somewhere decided that builders should put 1% of the construction budget for a project toward artwork such as sculptures, fountains, etc. to beautify their surroundings. It's supposed to add 'culture' to the city. Do I think Government agencies should be held to that rule considering they're spending taxpayer dollars? Nope. I'm not even sure ANYONE should be held to that rule, though it really can (in some cases) beautify the environment in a city. Fountains, sculptures and all that provides people with a little bit of escape from all that rush of traffic and all those buildings around them. The concrete jungle is no fun without a pause.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The government has no business paying for any art anywhere. And by the way; why do kids go to school in trailers in back of the main building and these jag-offs get a 700 million building. This is BullSht!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
True, how ever who in their right mind want a fairy riding a toad as the decor of the defense building, which should be seen as a serious tone, not some world of warcraft inspired emo like art.

I would like to see a A-10 or M1A1 Abrams instead, hell even a Sherman would go better...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join