It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Vet Called Up for Emergency?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

USA VET CALLED UP FOR EMERGENCY?

www.youtube.com

Honorably discharged vet claims he's about to be called up?
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 30/3/11 by masqua because: Replaced 'All Caps' in title

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I apologize if this story has already posted.

I believe it could possibly be related to the rumors surrounding the DHS "it's about to go down" thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It adds another layer to consider if it is indeed true.

Can any active duty military or retired military vets confirm this story?

YT video posted today - This Vet claims they are calling up reservists and retired soldiers like something is about to go down.

It sounds like they are currently in the process of making phone calls and notifying people right now.
Apparently this is only supposed to happen in times of emergency?

He's claims to have been in the Air Force for 4 years and that this is being conducted across all 4 branches.

Please take a look and let me know if anyone has heard anything that corroborates this soldier's story.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-3-2011 by coldkidc because: Typo

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
He said he has not been called, but his friend was called for 1 day of training.

This would be another wait and see situation I guess.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I hope this is BS. If they are trying to pull back in soldiers who already did their time, this country is totally screwed up.

I was a Desert Storm vet. I did two years active duty Army and six in the National Guard so my time is WAY up.

They better not even think of coming and knocking at my door. If they try to put me in a tank again, I'll just use it to run over their sorry behinds. I'm way too old for that stuff anymore.
edit on 3/30/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I don't doubt it. My brother is a Iraq vet and has received calls from his former CO a few times. I don't think they are looking to recall retired vets, but with recruitment supposedly being low, and our military being stretched out across the globe, I can see this being possible. Wait and see as a previous post said.

Hope your wrong though!

Edit: He admits that he is on active reserve, which means this would not be unheard of.
edit on 30-3-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: cuz I can

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

Yeah - I agree. Pretty much just a waiting game right now
I'm hoping that someone with some 1st hand knowledge will be able to verify this story though.

I guess if it is in fact about to get crazy then we'll probably find out when everybody else finds out.
Not sure if I have 6 months worth of food though like the DHS thread was suggesting.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thank you for the embed - haven't figured that out quite yet.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

Bummer.
Said person signed a contract and got full value and now wants to back out without paying said obligation.
I do not agree with what the US does in foreign countries but if he doesn't he should never signed on the line.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

While I agree with some of your sentiment - there are young men & women in our military who enlisted purely from a financial point of view...

When you're 18 though sometimes your social & political views have not been fully developed.
Also there is sometimes the "head up your butt" syndrome associated with that age group.

The enlistment bonuses are BIG money for an 18 year old...hell it's only 4 years...how bad can it be...the recruiter does a little sweet talking and then BAM - they got you hooked.

Not saying he should bail because we need good people in the field but I'm not going to blame the guy if he decided to change his mind later on...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Agreed, now the young man has an official life lesson, or two.
Read the full contract especially the fine print.
Just hope he does not receive the final lesson from his mistake.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I am a retired Officer - the Army (can't speak for the other services) do "recall" people but it is usually on a volunteer basis and in specific MOS's (skills) that are short for some reason.

When one enlists (Private Soldiers), is appointed (Warrant Officers) or is Commissioned (Officers) they do so for an 8 year obligation a portion of which, usually 4 years is spent on active duty and the rest either in the active reserve (AR) or individual ready reserve (IRR).

Reservists drill once a month for 2 days and for a 14 day period usually in the Sumer.

Inactive Ready Reservists do not have to drill but are required to update their address and contact information on a regular basis. However, they are sometimes offered the opportunity to go on active duty for short periods for training or a deployment if their specialty is needed.

In the event of a large scale mobilization they would first they send letters to those units with Soldiers who are in the AR (also perhaps the National Guard) who hold the MOS in question and ask them to canvas the unit for volunteers. If they can't get enough that way they would tap into the IRR in the same way.

They use these individuals to fill shortages in units who are about to deploy for key training or a real world mission.

Finally in the case of a major mobilization they might activate the members on the retirement roles. This is usually limited to those who have retired less than 5 years ago as skill sets tend to atrophy and technology advances quickly.

They would use these retired individuals who are usually senior NCO's and Officers to staff and man stateside headquarters, training and recruiting units so that those with the most recent training would be on the pointy end of the spear so to speak.

A full national mobilization (anything other than onzies and twozies in key roles) requires the order of the POTUS and approval of Congress plus the Emergency Declaration. This is under Title 10 U.S.C. 12301.

So in summary; reservists, both AR and IRR are regularly offered the opportunity to augment units that are deploying especially those with unique or shortage skills like linguists, air traffic controllers, EOD, intelligence, etc.

Hope that helps.

edit on 30/3/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Bummer.
Said person signed a contract and got full value and now wants to back out without paying said obligation.
I do not agree with what the US does in foreign countries but if he doesn't he should never signed on the line.

this x100

i feel for the guy thoufh

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't believe it's true however, if you serve 4 years on active duy AF you do have 4 year inactive reserve after your initial commitment. Retired active duty members can be called up too, I believe up to what would be their 30 year mark.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geronimeaux
I don't believe it's true however, if you serve 4 years on active duy AF you do have 4 year inactive reserve after your initial commitment. Retired active duty members can be called up too, I believe up to what would be their 30 year mark.

You are correct everyone incurs an initial 8 year service obligation.

However, about retirees they are subject to recall until age 60 unless they are General Officers or Command Sergeant's Major who are subject to recall until the age of 65.

Retired officers retain their status as officers and can administer the oaths of enlistment and use their rank in all correspondence as long as they indicate their status as retired after. Same with enlisted folks.

One no longer uses his/her branch after retirement like while serving.

I Ma Dork
Major, Special Forces or MAJ, SF

would simply be

I. Ma Dork
Major, United States Army, Retired or MAJ (RET)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Thank you much for that reply!
Excellent info - sounds like to say something was going down right now would be a bit premature...guess we'll just have to keep our ear to the ground on this one. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to pt by coldkidc

This isn't anything new. They keep this ability to recall to duty those they may need at any given moment. They send these letters out to people that have incurred the service obligation and keep track of where they are and can reactivate them in time of need. Every member, member being the key word of the armed forces is made aware of this obligation. Notice the words I use, they mean something. Member denotes "In" you don't work for, obligation denotes "service". I have heard people give the story they didn't know what they were getting "in"to when they joined the armed forces and incurred the service obligation. Some people change their mind when they find out what it really means separtion from family for long periods, missing birthdays, school events, graduations, everyday life, you name it. That's why the veteran, no matter the duration of their service, should be celebrated and is for the most part. Younger servicemen/women leaving after their first term and after reaclimating to civilian life may find it unsettling to get the letter letting them know they still have the service obligation and this is understandable. The fact remains, they chose to serve of their own free will and have the pride of being called a veteran. One thing I have read and I don't know where the quote came from and it goes something like this: "Only two definable forces have ever offered to give their lives for you, Jesus Christ for the redemption of your soul and the American Soldier/Sailor/Marine/Airman for your Freedom"...
edit on 30-3-2011 by Geronimeaux because: typo

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
This probably isn't that unusual.

As far as I understood it after getting out of the Navy, that 8 years inactive reserve starts after your active duty has been completed. I've gotten letters asking if I'd willingly go back or into active reserve of my own accord, but no direct orders. That's probably what this guy is seeing right now.

Yeah those still made me uncomfortable too. During my active service I felt pushed aside and treated and kicked around like a mule - and PNA'd on too many tests. (I wasn't going to re-up just to advance, if I couldn't advance through what would seem like the most direct method - why should I let that hook me?) My evals weren't sugar-coated, but they weren't awful either. (You get to review what's on them with your superiors. Div PO and CPO.) With what felt like back-door politicking going on within the command and a lot of wasteful stupid stuff I've seen, some of you could probably understand why I didn't stay in.

Sometimes it's just the bureaucracy which tests your sanity. A ship isn't like a battlefield (no less dangerous, just dangerous in a different way - think living in a heavy industrial environment 24/7), yet a few peers who were also counting down their active duty days lost it and didn't quite get the honorable.

(I'm sure you've heard of BCD or psych, so no need for details.)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Well just have to keep on this for any more himts...it would have been interesting to know his MOS and that may explain a lot in itself....
I think wed hear louder rumblings in the case of a mass call up for imminent war footing...dont you?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Don't know if this helps. My cousin was just redeployed out a few days ago. He did his 4 yrs in Afghanistan and came home right before Christmas 2010. He found out in the 2nd week in March, he has been called up again, he left last week to reach his base where he thought he had 4 day to get situated. Per his mother, as soon as he set foot on the base, he was on a plane out 4 hours later. She was told by him, back to Afghanistan. The question are:

why the rush out so quickly, weeks and within hours of arriving to the base?
was it really Afghanistan?

I have an Uncle who is retired, but works as a civilian liasion on a base in virignia (something with submarines I believe in norfolk). Now, if he all of sudden gets sent to other places or just becomes way more busy then usual, my huge big red flag will be raised. Will update you all if that happens.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonspit

Thanks for the info!

<<   2 >>

join