It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists grow sperm in a lab

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Scientists grow sperm in a lab

www.redicecreations.com

Scientists have grown sperm in the laboratory in a landmark study that could help preserve the fertility of cancer patients and shed fresh light on male reproductive problems.

Fertility experts called the work a "crucial experimental advance" towards the use of lab-grown sperm in the clinic and a stepping stone to the routine creation of human sperm for men who cannot make the cells normally.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Link to original Source

edit on 29-3-2011 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is where the line of morality, religion, and science tend to blur. Depending on your beleif system, this could very much be a good thing, or a step closer to man creating life which is not such a great thing for traditional cristians.
Some beleive there are two trees, The tree of Knowledge, which we ate from, and the Tree of life, which is supposedly only controled by god himself.
If you beleive in the existence of a soul, Can man create a soul or spirit, If he can, would that place him equally with god.

Anyway, I search and had not seen this posted

www.redicecreations.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'd say we're far from being able to create life..

Genetics is a very complicated thing.. and it will likely be some time before we could consider being able to recreate a genetic stucture.

As always, very interesting.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I agree, even in this case, the sperm was produce from tissue from the testes of an already existant rat, so in a sense it really sorta like artificial insemination

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Yep, it's kinda like how I learned to program so many years ago on the c64... Take a program that already existed... Tweak something... Learn something.... lather , rinse, repeat until you have learned enough to write one from scratch...

I think we are still a way from that with genetics

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
But does the sperm have any DNA to contribute to an ovum?? Or are they just shooting blanks?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE
...and the Tree of life, which is supposedly only controled by god himself.

Through science we will be able to create a veritable paradise & the "Tree of Life" will be genetically engineering our own DNA to live possibly thousands of years! I'm an atheist, so I don't think there are any moral implications from using science to benefit humanity.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I hoped this thread was about actually growing and maturing some sperm into a living organism. I'd like to see that. We could nurture them until a colony of sperms were about to reproduce their species.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
So what woman would like to have a rat infested created sperm stuck inside of her womb

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnitaCigarette

Through science we will be able to create a veritable paradise & the "Tree of Life" will be genetically engineering our own DNA to live possibly thousands of years! I'm an atheist, so I don't think there are any moral implications from using science to benefit humanity.

What does being an atheist have to do with morals? Sure religions have co-opted morals... However morals are what sets one culture apart from another... Each one has its own set, and though some may overlap, not very many of them have to do with belief in a God...

Morals are basically assumed codes of strength..... For example, in Washingtons time it was moral for a man to have a shot a whiskey a week... Meaning it was good for his constitution... Washington wrote a book of morals... And not one of them have anything to do with a religious nature... Simply a social nature.

Though many religions create codes and morals which set them apart... Morals in general appear everywhere... For example, Chris hitchens , a noted atheist, finds it immoral to believe in a God... As he sees that as weakening ones constitution....

Though I agree with your vision of a veritable tree of life (interesting term to be used by an atheist), i also concede that there are very huge risks inherent in this... And yes morality comes into play... Such as what anguish the consciousness of another being may experience in a failed experiment... This is not to say we shouldn't do this... Just that we should have plenty of forethought
edit on 29-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
wow..and last week i heard that in scotland they had created BLOOD CELLS as well.....its the end days man

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Actually sounds like the beginning of days to me... Starts with a sperm ;-)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by AnitaCigarette

What does being an atheist have to do with morals? Sure religions have co-opted morals...

Then let me make it better clear... I should have said RELIGIOUS DOGMAS. Being atheist means not having to worry about god punishing me for cryogenics, etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AnitaCigarette

Your science wouldn't prolong humanity, it would destroy it... Imagine if everybody on earth lived 1000 years, we would over populate the world almost instantly... And even if science could do such things, you think those in power would use such techniques on you or me?

No they would save such abilities for those who run this world with power, greed, and corruption...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355

Your science wouldn't prolong humanity, it would destroy it... Imagine if everybody on earth lived 1000 years, we would over populate the world almost instantly... And even if science could do such things, you think those in power would use such techniques on you or me?

No they would save such abilities for those who run this world with power, greed, and corruption...

Ok, how about you imagine a world with population controlled & people enlightening themselves through science & spirituality. (yes, you can have them both) & imagine a world were science has freed them from disease & mutation & provides an infinite amount of food for all the living.

Also, imagine a one world government or, better yet, GENEOCRACY. Sounds beautiful to me.
edit on 30-3-2011 by AnitaCigarette because: added "Geneocracy"

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I don't like it, I don't like it at all.

Why are these scientists playing about creating sperm? Is there not a more productive way to spend their time and money like finding the cure to cancer instead of finding ways to make the after-effects better?

Last year stem cell research was illegal

This year we're growing sperm!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
what a world we live in. can u imagine telling your grandmother or elder than that your child had to be created from cultured sperm. if you wouldnt feel comfortable with your dark deeds done in the light shone under the light of scrutiny then your guilt will predicate a further falling from your natural state. this is like feeling all kids are entitled to be viewed as smart; or all opposite sexes are entitled to be viewed as desirable. but if everyone assimilated to a template then the intent of science is far from a "tree of life" or utopian "future"; your present predicates this fact.

if a healthy man cannot have a child because of social engineering then a man healthy in intent to have a child but afflicted in body does not deserve the right, forsaken the fitting man. suffer the realities of your reality and stop avoiding your own life for the sake of a life you forfeit.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

sweet now we have no need for males!
But just wait females, soon they will figure out OUR secrets, and start producing our eggs in a petri dish.
Then we shall have no need for men, or women, only scientists.
Wonderful.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

You put too much faith in your science, you the religious people (which I'm not btw) have to live by blind faith... You assume you would even be part of their "perfect world"? What do you have to offer? Unless you are in the top 2% of the wealthiest most powerful dirtbags in the world, unless you are a genius beyond comprehension, you are not even part of their plan!

This 1 world leader better be the honest son of a €£¥%# you've ever met or imagine the corruption that would exist in a man or woman that answered to nobody!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355

You put too much faith in your science, you the religious people (which I'm not btw) have to live by blind faith... You assume you would even be part of their "perfect world"? What do you have to offer? Unless you are in the top 2% of the wealthiest most powerful dirtbags in the world, unless you are a genius beyond comprehension, you are not even part of their plan!

This 1 world leader better be the honest son of a €£¥%# you've ever met or imagine the corruption that would exist in a man or woman that answered to nobody!

I am not religious, either. I am an atheist, whom believes in the miracle of science & how man can prove himself to be god by creating sperm from rat testicles, as mentioned in the OP's article. Now, assuming that there are dirtbags ruling the Earth, (which, like you I would highly doubt we would have such luck) then EVERYONE would have access to free technology, created by renewable resources. I recall reading an interesting article saying we will achieve living to 1000 within 20 years. Better yet, the female scientist whom said this said, "people under the age of 60 will live to see this."

No, I don't put all my faith in science, I'm just a dreamer. I ask that you not judge me for that. Science gives me hope. & you can see all the flaws in it you want, but it really is the key to unleashing people from the chains of being slave driven just to have one meal a day. Yes, I am just a dreamer...

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join