It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian government resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Syrian government resigns

rt.com

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has accepted his government's resignation in a move to quell opposition protests.
The new yet-to-be-formed government, is expected be in place on Wednesday, as well as the lifting of a controversial state of emergency that's been in effect for nearly 50 years. The government is set to be chaired by Abdullah al-Dardari, who served as vice-prime minister for economy in the resigned cabinet.

President al-Assad has pledged to reform Syria’s political system and impose measures to curb corruption after mass opposition rallies. Clashes between protesters and
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It appears as if the anti-government protestors may have secured temporary victory. Although, it isn't the government that the protestors appear to be concerned with. They want sweeping reforms to be put in-place immediately, not temporary promises. If a regime change, or cabinet resignation fails to bring forth these demands, then the likely out come would be more protests and more vioence. If this situation were to turn downwards rapidly and bloodshed were to become widespread, we may see America and NATO step in to enforce military intervention. Although,

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the US had no plans to interfere in Syria's domestic affairs.

Lets hope this rings true and the U.S does not embroid itseld further into the matters of a soveriegn state.
Al Jazeera news video.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-3-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Unfortunately, the "Government Resigning" doesn't mean much. The power is all in Bashar al-Assad. It's like saying "The king's advisor's, who rule only by his consent" have resigned, and now "The king will pick one's that are better this time" - because obviously it's their fault, and has nothing to do with all the power being with Bashar al-Assad.

People (particularly US citizens) see the word "president", or "government" or the word "democracy" and assume it's not just titles. Unfortunately, over there - it's quite often little more than slang for old monarchical or military regimes.

PS: I agree, and hope that the US doesn't jump into yet another simultaneous conflict.

edit on 2011-3-29 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Added post-script.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It sure does not look good for the handful of Muslim African and Middle East Nations on the West's hit list right now.

Clearly Syria is on the verge of making some concessions in hopes of appeasing the Western Powers fermenting these internal unrests through the Internet and covert operatives on the ground.

The power grab sure is on, it looks like Syria will go down with a whimper to the New World Order.

And the band marches on.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This is what alarms me, the covert operations. In the 1950's people were content and extremely satisfied with their democraticaly elected leaders in Iran and Guetamala. They had popular support for reforms they were bringing forth. Unfourtunately both countries anoyed a few major corporations. Iran anoyed: Anglo-Iranian Oil and Gutemala anoyed: United Fruit. The C.I.A completely fabricated news of unrest and made a completely sythetic popular uprising supported by street gangs, exiles and corrupt politicians, religous leaders and men of great power. I understand the economic, social and politcal conditions in Syria have been fermenting for protest for a while. But what gaurantee do we have that this isn't a covert operation aimed at overthrowing regimes, although which are unpopular amongst internal factions and foreign government. The fact is, the C.I.A, covert western factions and the West have extensive resource and expirience in coups, and overthrowing regimes. They are extremely talented in this area of covert operation. Few men can supress their desire to destroy governance within a country in order to meet economic, corporate and political interests. The only country in which such operation was defused in the public eye that I can think of is Venezeula.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

This isn't happening by accident, clearly the HB Gary sock puppet software designed for the Military is being used to ferment popular unrest and the intelligence agencies are on the ground with cash and logistical support growing these movements.

While Assad's dismisal of his Cabinet is not significant in any real domestic political way, it would clearly be a sign of some public act to signal that he is prepared to accept Western terms and make concessions in order not to have the heat turned up and become the next Libya.

The No Fly Zone in Libya has quickly moved to other signifigant military action, and is a clear signal too that the Western Powers are going to use the UN to bypass their own constitutions and legislatures to immediately move to war.

The Western Powers are in fact taking over the whole region right now and they are making it very clear what's going to happen if you don't play ball.

Your people will be incited to rebel, they will be provided with logistical, financial and moral support to do that, and if you try to regain order, it will be used as an excuse to immediately sanction military aggression from the Western Powers.

This is not good, not good at all.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I agree with much of what you are supporting. As I have said in a previous thread. If we have learnt anything from history, it is that history repeats itself. Now Central and South America has been largely conquered by the Great American Empire, does that make the Middle East the New South and Central America? Has it been the new South and Central Amerca for a while? WIll we, in 100 years recieve disclosure on American covert and overt operation in the Middle East like we did of American actions in Honduras, Nicuragua, Guatemala, Cuba, Peurto Rico and others. Will we look back and history in 100 years and shrug, saying it can't happen again?

As you have reliased, many of these question are rhetorical.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Conspiracy? Listen to this General talk about the plan to take out a number of governments including Syria. Start watching at about 1:10

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Assad's cabinet resigning will not end the revolt. He has to step down and allow for elections.

I would not be surprised if things intensify in Syria if he does not step down.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Assad's cabinet resigning will not end the revolt. He has to step down and allow for elections.
I would not be surprised if things intensify in Syria if he does not step down.

I will not be surprised if the protesters get gunned-down in the streets if they try to revolt.
I think the Syrian military has his back. I don't expect another Egypt.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

They have already been revolting for days now. Government forces have shot at people and shot some people, but there havn't been any Libya like massacres, yet.

Assad is likely scared that if he goes too far, NATO will pay a visit to his country.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

They have already been revolting for days now. Government forces have shot at people and shot some people, but there havn't been any Libya like massacres, yet.

Assad is likely scared that if he goes too far, NATO will pay a visit to his country.

In regards to the context of Assad's actions, it would appear, that if this revolt is legitamate, that he would have to exersize a greater use of force in order to maintain legitamacy. Either he continues to violently crack down an escalates the rule of force, on his subjects and face foreign intervention, or he removes himself from his subjects and sacrifices government. That of course is the theoretical aspect.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So, I haven't been following-up on this one until now.
How did that whole revolution in Syria thing work out?

new topics

top topics

join