It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAARP! What it really does

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
Imagine if you would, a hypothetical - that HAARP is a weapon with as much potential as the conspirators believe...don't worry, you're just playing along, you don't actually have to believe it.
Now, tell me - with such a potent, hypothetical weapon, what levels of security do you imagine would surround any "Facts" concerning it?

Judging from history, I'd imagine that they would have grabbed the first opportunity to use it very publicly to scare the rest of the world and to justify the money spent on it. Just like they did with the atomic bomb, the MOAB, the stealth fighter and bomber. They jumped on the first excuse show it all off to make sure everyone else was kept nervous about our military potential. I don't see why a weaponized HAARP would be any different. If the rest of the world new for a fact that the US could hit them with an earthquake at will, they'd be easier to keep "in line".

After the cold war ended this kind of show your might mentality doesn't fly in the face of global politics and the UN. The only time that a nation is able to flex it's muscle is during a war or "liberation"

The fact that they did not publicize the military purposes that this technology might be capable of only makes it that much more mysterious and frightful. I causes one to not just be afraid of the known realities but the possible ones too.

I think the simple comparison to an opera singer shattering a glass with their voice is a good example how frequecy from HAARP can be used to send a wave vibration strong enough to do many harmful and maybe some useful things to the planet.
edit on 25-3-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Posted this before, but warrants another explanation.

First of all, there's nothing remotely secret or even classified about HAARP. No security clearance is needed to visit and tour the site, and HAARP usually holds an open house every summer during which anyone can see everything there. During the rest of the year, research is conducted. The universities that have participated in HAARP research include University of Alaska, Stanford, Penn State, Boston College, Dartmouth, Cornell, University of Maryland, University of Massachusetts, MIT, Polytechnic University, UCLA, Clemson and the University of Tulsa.
There are several other similar research stations around the world, namely the Sura facility in Russia, EISCAT in Norway, the Arecibo observatory in Puerto Rico, and the HIPAS observatory near Fairbanks, operated by UCLA.
If you look at HAARP on Google Earth, you can see there's not much there, and the current view shows only four cars in the small parking lot.

HAARP consists of an observatory and an adjacent 28-acre field with 180 HF (high frequency) antennas, each 72 feet tall, with a maximum transmission power of 3600 kilowatts, about 75 times the power of a commercial radio station, but only a tiny fraction of the strength of the natural solar radiation striking the same part of the ionosphere at which HAARP is aimed. Although the observatory operates continuously, the HF antenna array is activated only rarely for specific experiments, which average about once a month.

Sadly for the conspiracy theorists, HAARP has no potential to affect weather. The frequency of energy that HAARP transmits cannot be absorbed by the troposphere or the stratosphere, only by the ionosphere, many kilometers higher than the highest atmospheric weather systems.

The ionosphere is created and replenished daily by solar radiation. At night, the level of ionization drops quickly to very low levels at lower altitudes of 50 to 100 miles, but at higher altitudes over 200 miles it takes most of the night for the ionization to disperse. During the night, when the natural ionosphere is minimal, HAARP is capable of creating a weak artificial aurora that can actually be observed by sensitive cameras at the observatory, though they are far too faint for the naked eye. During the daytime, solar radiation ionizes the ionosphere so powerfully that HAARP's weak artificial effects are the proverbial drop in the bucket, and are erased almost immediately when the transmitter is turned off.

You might ask "What's the point of HAARP?" If it's not to wreak global destruction, what good is it? Communication and navigation signals are sent through the atmosphere for a broad range of civilian and military purposes. Guided missiles rely on digital transmissions which can be affected or jammed by a whole variety of natural and artificial causes. Global Positioning System and encrypted communications all need to be able to make it to their recipients in wartime, regardless of the atmospheric and electromagnetic conditions. The study of these effects is the primary reason that DARPA, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Navy contribute to HAARP's funding. In addition, by bouncing signals off the ionosphere at at altitude of 100km, HAARP has been able to create Extremely Low Frequency, or ELF, waves as low as 1 Hertz, which can potentially be used for worldwide communication including reaching submarines, though at an almost uselessly slow data rate. But before you conclude that these ELF waves might be used for creating earthquakes, note that the maximum ELF signal amplitude produced by HAARP has been measured at less than one ten-millionth of the Earth's natural background field.

So if HAARP is so anticlimactically mundane, why all the conspiracy theories? HAARP is operated by MarshCreek, LLC, an Alaska Native Corporation under contract to the Office of Naval Research. Anytime the ONR or DARPA or the military have their hand in something, paranoid types tend to come out of the woodwork and blame anything they can imagine on it. So regardless of whether HAARP is in the atmospheric research business or the rubber duckie business, they were pretty much doomed to conspiracy charges from the beginning.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

OP, nice of you to reference the official description of HAARP, which anyone can do if you check out their website. The rumors behind HAARP stem from the the original patents by Dr. Bernard Eastlund and his description of what his patented technology is capable of (aka acting as an offensive physical weapon).

For instance, the last paragraph of one of his HAARP patents reads:

"This invention has a phenomenal variety of possible ramifications and potential future developments. As alluded to earlier, missile or aircraft destruction, deflection, or confusion could result, particularly when relativistic particles are employed. Also, large regions of the atmosphere could be lifted to an unexpectedly high altitude so that missiles encounter unexpected and unplanned drag forces with resultant destruction or deflection of same. Weather modification is possible by, for example, altering upper atmosphere wind patterns or altering solar absorption patterns by constructing one or more plumes of atmospheric particles which will act as a lens or focusing device. Also as alluded to earlier, molecular modifications of the atmosphere can take place so that positive environmental effects can be achieved..... A moving plume could also serve as a means for supplying a space station or for focusing vast amount of sunlight on selected portions of the earth. Surveys of global scope could also be realized because the earth's natural magnetic field could be significantly altered in a controlled manner by plasma beta effects resulting in, for example, improved magnetotelluric surveys. Electromagnetic pulse defenses are also possible. The earth's magnetic field could be decreased or disrupted at appropriate altitudes to modify or eliminate the magnetic field in high Compton electron generation (e.g., from high altitude nuclear bursts) regions. High intensity, well controlled electrical fields can be provided in selected locations for various purposes. For example, the plasma sheath surrounding a missile or satellite could be used as a trigger for activating such a high intensity field to destroy the missile or satellite. Further, irregularities can be created in the ionosphere which will interfere with the normal operation of various types of radar, e.g., synthetic aperture radar. The present invention can also be used to create artificial belts of trapped particles which in turn can be studied to determine the stability of such parties. Still further, plumes in accordance with the present invention can be formed to simulate and/or perform the same functions as performed by the detonation of a "heave" type nuclear device without actually having to detonate such a device. Thus it can be seen that the ramifications are numerous, far-reaching, and exceedingly varied in usefulness."

Eastlund invented the technology and hold 3 patents, which were quickly bought up by the US Govt - for whatever reasons you choose to believe.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
Sure, this doesn't really explain WHY they would want to do this. I seriously don't know if its lack of foresight or blind stupidity on the scientists behind this project. But by using a high energy beam to "test" the ionosphere while we know that when the SUN does the same thing it can create some pretty dangerous results (sometimes). Plus, what makes them think they have the right to screw with something the entire world shares (the sky) without explaining their intentions fully and publicly. As well as disclosing their "results".

Scientists, no matter how intelligent, are like little kids. You give them some pieces of their favorit toys, and they will forget their sourrounding.. All they want to do on earth is play within their field of science. Personally, I propose to put the on a short leash and let them play, but never let them out of the eye for a minute.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The innocuous world locations of HAARP related research facilities.

Sura facility near Vasilsursk, Russia

maps.google.com...,45.995893&spn=0.045785,0.164537&t=h&z=14&lci=com.panoramio.all,org.wikipedia.en

ESCAT, Norway.

pgia.ru...

Arecibo observatory in Puerto Rico, the big dish that gave birth to SETI.

HIPAS near Faibanks is currently being decommissioned.

www.newsminer.com...

(Above link works if you copy and paste, don't know why it shows up funny.

Hope this helps folks to find the other facilities.
edit on 25-3-2011 by Illustronic because: link explanation.

edit on 25-3-2011 by Illustronic because: never mind

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sincerelyme

I'd love to see the source of this misinformation, (probably a conspiracy site or it is decades old).

Low frequency near the edge of LEO, affects nothing but scarcely detectable communications avenues, and a sort of aurora light show undetectable by the naked eye.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Well thats great OP well done for copying and pasting here have a star
how about you go away and do a little research in to what it actually does and why there are so many of these stations all over the world in many countries? Of course you could just go back to Haarp website if that easier for you.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

could be mass mind control too wouldnt suprise me they can all like my balls every Government bunch of ball lickers

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

why did you change your name? you think that people wouldnt recognize your avatar?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
HAARP doesnt do any of the things we all thought it did relating to wild conspiracy , even I searched for its possible implications and thought it could cause terrible easthquakes .
However upon some further research it isnt physically possible.

However juist because HAARP doesnt do these things , dont for one second think that there isnt some secret government /military weapon that can !

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Someone posted a video that would show earthquakes on Googleearth with a depth of 10 Kilometers in order to prove HAARP produces earthquakes.

That one's for you:

Depth The depth where the earthquake begins to rupture. This depth may be relative to mean sea-level or the average elevation of the seismic stations which provided arrival-time data for the earthquake location. The choice of reference depth is dependent on the method used to locate the earthquake. Sometimes when depth is poorly constrained by available seismic data, the location program will set the depth at a fixed value. For example, 33 km is often used as a default depth for earthquakes determined to be shallow, but whose depth is not satisfactorily determined by the data, whereas default depths of 5 or 10 km are often used in mid-continental areas and on mid-ocean ridges since earthquakes in these areas are usually shallower than 33 km.

Source

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

didnt you do a thread on haarp like last year or something and people gave you the answers then...what did you forget? OMG lets shut her down...or shut you down before you cause anymore damage to ATS readers or yourself...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
VLF (very low frequency) 'TRIANGULAR' HAARP ARRAY identified!
www.youtube.com...

I have been noticing a pattern of earthquakes that occur - often along lat 36 (up or down) and had been wondering what might be going on.

your planetary sister
edit on 25-3-2011 by 1PlanetarySister because: unsuccessful embed

edit on 25-3-2011 by 1PlanetarySister because: added title of vid

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
After the cold war ended this kind of show your might mentality doesn't fly in the face of global politics and the UN. The only time that a nation is able to flex it's muscle is during a war or "liberation"

But there are still plenty of those opportunities to "flex", are there not? And they still use these opportunities to show off their latest and greatest. One could probably make the case that that these "liberations" only happen to give them this chance to "flex".

The fact that they did not publicize the military purposes that this technology might be capable of only makes it that much more mysterious and frightful. I causes one to not just be afraid of the known realities but the possible ones too.

It only makes it scary to the uninformed and the paranoid.

I think the simple comparison to an opera singer shattering a glass with their voice is a good example how frequecy from HAARP can be used to send a wave vibration strong enough to do many harmful and maybe some useful things to the planet

Bad comparison. Sound and radio waves are not the same thing.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Man, you are like the evil clone of Jedi Miller.

What exactly did you expect to gain from making a thread quoting nothing but information that has been posted a hundred times on here, and saying "This is from their website"

You didn't put forward an argument for or against anything, until people come along to say "You know it's more than that right?" -- perhaps you didn't want to be the one to say it first....

fail thread...

Um...show me proof it does.....people try and monitor harp machines all the time....I have yet to see one of them think it caused the earthquakes....also the same cluster of earthquakes happened before harp was invented......

I am not also a big fan of someone who just copies and pastes the entire thread.....you post way to many threads that have already been created too....other users have stated that your trying to just get stars and flags.....kind of makes me wonder
edit on 25-3-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: I TOTALLY FAILED ON THE REPLY TO THE WRONG PERSON....I AM TALKING TO OP

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

um... posting the official description of the HAARP project straight from the official HAARP website is an odd way to disclose to us "what HAARP really does". This only talks about HF operations... What about its ELF capabilities?

Your thread doesn't go very deep... that's the least to say. Like saying "hey! here's the truth with 9/11!" and telling us the story according to the US government.

edit on 25/3/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Harrp being anything other than what they state is bull#,the conspiracy communitie has built harrp into sumthing it probaly isnt, with that said it they do get thier funding from BAE which might make you think somthing is going on but isnt communications one of the most important things that civilization and military need to function in the modern world,why dont people just go to the harrp faciltiy cos im pretty sure they do let you in on occasion dury summer

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
HAARP is not a weapon ffs.

It does not cause earthquakes, it does not cause tidal waves, it does not cause birds to die, etc etc. It is a shame most people sit there thinking life is some sort of action movie or video game.

edit on 25-3-2011 by ironsjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

show me the proof that it does cause earthquakes, there is so much disinformation out there on both sides you just don't know who or what to believe. most time the simplest answers are the ones that are true.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ototheb85
I know nothing on this, but I have just looked at the haarp lay out and them towers are suppose to be the cause of all this? I dont understand how something so small can cause do whats been said.
edit on 24-3-2011 by ototheb85 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2011 by ototheb85 because: failed spelling

A nuclear bomb doesn't have to be big

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join